Lighting using HAI, Upstart, PC Access and the H@me app

Thanks ano. What I had read was that Upstart provides or opens up more features on the SA switches than thats available with just using the HAI controller.

I currently have events and scenes on both HS and HAI. Kind of a mix and match.

Thanks ano. What I had read was that Upstart provides or opens up more features on the SA switches than thats available with just using the HAI controller.

I currently have events and scenes on both HS and HAI. Kind of a mix and match.

The HAI solution basically lets you set several "scenes" per room, using this keypad Scene Switch So you basically get to use 4 scenes per room controlling a max. of 8 lights. To create a "scene" just set the lights to the correct levels and the panel will save this in the switches.

To control your house they have a Room Controller keyboard Room Controller This keypad can turn all the lights on or off in one of 8 rooms.

So, if you buy the HAI switches, HAI Scene Controllers, and HAI Room controllers, you can get a running setup going pretty quick, and it is functional, but its also very limiting.

With UPStart, YOU are in full control of how to setup your house. Each switch can be configured to respond to 8 links, and these links, when activated, will set any switch to any lighting level. When a link that a switch responds to is deactivated, the light turns off. With UpStart, you can create links which create scenes in several rooms at once, for example create a "Party Mode" link in each switch, activate the link (with a keypad, or the HAI panel) and your full house goes into party mode, not just one room at a time like the HAI solution. I have links to turn off all ceiling fans, or turn on all switches to a "night light" mode.

Switches when single or double pressed can also generate links, so for example, in my master bedroom, if I turn off the light, it also shuts of the light in the master bath and the toilet room. You can't do things like that in HLC.

So why HLC might be fine for an installer setting up UPB for a non-technical customer with more money then time to program, if you are installing your own system, chances are you'll want to take advantage of the flexibility that UPStart gives you. UPStart works with ANY UPB switches, not just HAI switches like HLC. Why this is important is because Simply Automated makes some cool switches with replaceable fronts. You can change a switch to an 8-button controller by just replacing the front on some switches. Its very cool and very flexible.

There are a lot of statements in this thread that basically says HLC mode is limiting/basic and if you want the full power of UPB, to use UPB mode. I don't fully agree with that. I do ALL of my device programming in UPSTART (UPB mode), but I use the room/device/link layout of HLC mode. You just need to follow the basic setup that HLC mode prescribes and then you can extend it from there. It becomes a hybrid approach that gives you the full status tracking of HLC with the full programmability of UPB.

See my notes and HLC setup links in this thread: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry139457

Back