Measuring/monitoring internet speed?

JimS

I have an Asus router that has a speed monitor.  I ran a speed test and the site 3 - 6 Mbps (it varied each time I ran it) but the monitor in the router only showed max of about 1 Mbps for the same time period.  Was using the "real time" monitor that graphs the last 10 minutes.  Any idea why they are so different.  If anything I would have expected the router to show a higher rate if other PCs were doing things at the time.  What's the best way to get an honest number for my speed?

Router is showing MBps and speed tests are showing Mbps.  Given that they line up fairly close.  Still seeing about 50% of advertised speed on my DSL line a lot of the time and not happy about that.

You can get very granular with the DSL reports speed test if you are a member of DSLReports.  I have been a member since DSLReports since the the 1990's.

You can do extensive testing over a period of time...days or weeks to check your ISP stuff.

Try the

1 Smokeping your IP test.

Intensively monitor your connection for 24 or more hours to review packet loss and/or excessive latency variability -- from multiple global locations

2 - Line Quality Ping Test

Score out of 100 for latency, jitter and packet loss to your connection. Identify any problems en-route to you.

Testing here from London VPN server right now...

The test request is now queued.

It will take at least 4 minutes to complete.
You will get a site message when it is done. Results are archived in your Test History page.

https://www.dslreports.com/testhistory/1595151/16d0a

Another approach is to participate with SamKnows.  This is a project to sample and quantify real network speeds.  Participating users connect a SamKnows "Whitebox" to their network.  Periodically, it runs a speed test although it tries to avoid using your connection when you are.  Monthly, you get a summary report of throughput speed with your service provider.  Service providers pay to get anonymized reports of their network performance.

https://www.samknows.com/signup

I've been involved since at least 2015.

Craig

Back