Monitor Internet Status

fdnyfish

Is there a way I can monitor the status of my internet connection with my HAI Omnipro II?

Looking for a way to automatically powercycle my modem if it looses internet connection.

thanks

Not sure how to do it with the OmniPro but if you have a computer running 24/7, there are a load of (even free) software tools for both the Unix and Windows platforms to keep and eye on network connectivity. It should not be that hard to connect that modem to eg a z-wave or x-10 appliance module and signal that module to switch off and back on. Actually a simple script that send out a ping and greps or seds the result, then acts on said result is all that's needed for a Unix box. Powershell on the Windows platform should be able to do this as well.

Once I get a Vera, this is one of the things I am looking into implementing.

Thanks for the reply, I just ordered a IP Power 9258-Ping for $85

http://www.aviosys.com/9258st.html

A HAi Appliance module would cost me almost that anyway, plus it's a stand alone unit.

The unit can be set up to ping a web address and when the ping fails I can restart the outlet that my modem is plugged into.

Here's another pretty similar one I've used in the past - http://goo.gl/zBhsD - it has built-in scripting for more advanced operations, along with the basic ping test listed above.

Years ago I utilized a similiar device with an out of band management interface via an RS-232 interface to a modem and networking interface. It was utilized for diagnostics if the router had no connectivity.

Today for most if not all of the internet connected events I do a couple if then checks before going to the internet to get data or do a screen scrape.

Ideally though it would be nice to have an auto default to a secondary 2 way with alert ISP connection. It is kind of an optional thing with my firewall today; never implemented it though and wondering if something like that could be implemented in a demand only scernario.

Kind of did that in the old house keeping the legacy DSL connection when getting the newer BB ISP connectivity in the 90's sometime. Base DSL back then though was only IDSL which would still work for me. Wish I could get it here in the newer home.

If you truly want/need backup ISP connectivity, the best way to go generally is to throw a 4G card in a cradlepoint, or a higher end router that can support a USB cell modem. For SOHO use, the cradlepoint is an awesome device. I've even gotten cell cards with static IP's in the past.

Back