monitoring fire sprinkler system

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Can't I use my 18gauge fire rated wire? And also, can you please verify the connection from the drawing I modified?

Thanks!
Check your local code for when you are running low voltage and high voltage wires in such close proximity, especially if you are running them in the same conduit. The diagram is not correct, your EOL has to be in series with the NC relay contact, not parallel. Also, I would label the common as Negative and the NC as going to the zone on the M1. Electrically it makes no difference but for consistency I equate common with negative.

rfdesq said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Can't I use my 18gauge fire rated wire? And also, can you please verify the connection from the drawing I modified?

Thanks!
Check your local code for when you are running low voltage and high voltage wires in such close proximity, especially if you are running them in the same conduit. The diagram is not correct, your EOL has to be in series with the NC relay contact, not parallel. Also, I would label the common as Negative and the NC as going to the zone on the M1. Electrically it makes no difference but for consistency I equate common with negative.
Hi Robert,

I pm'd you. I should have just replied to this. I'm thinking of putting the low voltage wire in a metal housing similar to what we are seeing in the pictures I've posted. By the way, I just got the EOLR connection from the manual, http://www.pottersignal.com/sprinkler/prod.../pdf/VSR-SF.pdf

And also, regarding NC, I put it to NEG because similar to my motion sensor's NC, it was connected to NEG.

Thanks again.

Neil

If my memory is correct the Low voltage wiriing would need to me maintained at least 1/4 of inch from the high voltage wiring. Otherwise you need to have the low voltage wiring rated at least as high as the the high voltage wiring.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
And also, regarding NC, I put it to NEG because similar to my motion sensor's NC, it was connected to NEG.
Electrically it's no difference. When I do a large install I try to get a rhythm of color coding and connections. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

You can use six gauge 1000 volt wire for your 12 volt installations. You just can't go the other way and use 22 gauge power limited wire for your 220 volt table saw.

Here are some updates guys! Robert taught me how to use my meter. ;)

Ok, I set the meter to 200k in the omega. The LCD displayed 1. I connected both wires together to make sure I'll get a reading of zero which means connected. So yes, I got 0 in the LCD display.

I went to the water flow valve and tested the isolated terminals. There was no water flowing at the time I was conducting the test.

COMM to NC - reading was 1
NC to NO - reading was 1
COMM to NO - reading became 0 which I think there is connection.

So, here is what I'm thinking guys with COMM to NO. If I flush the water, valve will get tripped, then reading will become 1 which means open(no connection). I will have to set the zone definition to Normal on CLOSE. Am I correct guys?

rfdesq said:
You can use six gauge 1000 volt wire for your 12 volt installations. You just can't go the other way and use 22 gauge power limited wire for your 220 volt table saw.
6 gauge is very thick right?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
So, here is what I'm thinking guys with COMM to NO. If I flush the water, valve will get tripped, then reading will become 1 which means open(no connection). I will have to set the zone definition to Normal on CLOSE. Am I correct guys?
Your terminology is not correct, it is not Normal on Close, it is Normally Closed. Normally Closed generally means, at least on a magnetic switch, that when the magnet is in it's close position, the contact is closed. The relay you are dealing with may do it backwards. It is NO (normally open) when the relay is tripped and water is flowing. Just treat this contact as a NC switch and it should work just fine. And yes, six gauge is thicker than a big fat pencil.

The six gauge wire wouldn't fit on the M1 zone. I might not be following you. Were you suggesting to me to use six gauge wire? If not, what is your call if I will be using my 18 gauge wire to the water flow valve but it will be inside the new conduit pipe?

SUCCESS! I tripped the water flow valve and after a minute, the reading of 0 became 1 which mean OPEN. The OPEN on ALARM marking on the valve is correct then.

All I need to figure out now which wire to buy at RadioShack. Please help guys.

Thanks for all the help! ;)

Just got home. We had a farewall get-together for a friend who is leaving for DC. ;)
Thanks for the link Robert.

EDIT: do I still need to put it inside a new conduit pipe? I'm planning to not run it near the existing wiring. I will make sure it's about 1 ft away from it.

Back