Mounting wood studs into concrete

IVB

Once i'm done with this server rebuild, i'm building a room within a room (a la penngrey's thread) to ease in dehumidification. I'll need to mount the wood studs into concrete.

I've seen concrete drill bits in Home Depot, but i'm not sure how that works. Anyone here try that?

Once i'm done with this server rebuild, i'm building a room within a room (a la penngrey's thread) to ease in dehumidification. I'll need to mount the wood studs into concrete.

I've seen concrete drill bits in Home Depot, but i'm not sure how that works. Anyone here try that?

You can drill holes in the concrete and insert an anchor, much like drywall. A hammer drill makes this a lot easier, but given time your craftsmen will get the job done.

You can also use concrete nails. I have never had luck pounding them in by hand, but you can buy the tool that accepts the .22 blanks for around $20 dollars I think. They also use some specials nails with rubber guides on them.

I'd go the drill and anchor route myself.

Brian

Talk to the people at your hardware store for solutions.

I alway liked to use Tapcon's for this job.(they might be called something different in the US.)

They come prepackaged with the proper sized drill bit so there is no guessing at drill sizes.

Good luck....

Neil

I second the tapcon route. But be certain that you own or rent a hammer drill. Anyone who's tried to drill into a concrete foundation knows that the mix is heavily laden with stone. A standard drill with a masonry bit will simply NOT cut it if you run into stone.

Also I suggest you use pressure treated lumber. Regular studs will wick the moisture our of the concrete and cause problems over time. If you have an aversion to the pressure treated lumber put a heavy plastic vapor barrier behind the wood.

Rob

I've used 4 methods for this: 1) hand hammering nails into concrete--this will work fine if the concrete is relatively new. Doesn't work worth beans if the floor or wall is 40 years old. 2) Using a special gun with graded charges to fire special nails--The works pretty well but again in old work, the concrete tends to chip out or the nail doesn't penetrate fully. 3) Drilling a hole in the concrete and securing a bolt in the hole with a special mortar mix. This makes for a very secure anchor. You will want a big hammer drill for this something that you will rent for an afternoon. 4) Concrete screw--by far the easiest. You should buy them with the bit or get the bit that is made for that particular brand of screw. If you have a lot to do, buy more than one bit. If your concrete isn't pretty new, get a hammer drill. The frustration of trying to put a hole in concrete without one is extreme. You'll almost certainly hit some of the aggregate (stones) as you're drilling which will stop a regular drill cold.

I've used 4 methods for this: 1) hand hammering nails into concrete--this will work fine if the concrete is relatively new. Doesn't work worth beans if the floor or wall is 40 years old. 2) Using a special gun with graded charges to fire special nails--The works pretty well but again in old work, the concrete tends to chip out or the nail doesn't penetrate fully. 3) Drilling a hole in the concrete and securing a bolt in the hole with a special mortar mix. This makes for a very secure anchor. You will want a big hammer drill for this something that you will rent for an afternoon. 4) Concrete screw--by far the easiest. You should buy them with the bit or get the bit that is made for that particular brand of screw. If you have a lot to do, buy more than one bit. If your concrete isn't pretty new, get a hammer drill. The frustration of trying to put a hole in concrete without one is extreme. You'll almost certainly hit some of the aggregate (stones) as you're drilling which will stop a regular drill cold.
Notes: Assuming the concrete is in your basement, you'll want something that's treated to avoid rot if it gets wet. However, I hate PT wood because of the chemicals. Old PT wood contained arsenic, which leached out. The new stuff is "safe," but I don't believe them. :)

ALL great suggestions! As a builder, I concur with the suggestions:

Pressure treated lumber! BUT only as the base plates, regular lumber for studs and sills.

I assume the concrete is old (as in not green or installed in last 60 days) if so, hammer drill with tapcons! they are GREAT!

Hammering especially with bullet powered hammers in older concrete is a pain and likely just cracks and breaks up the concrete.

Tapcons are the the way to go. VERY easy (with hammer drill).

If green or new concrete, blast them in the gun hammer. SIMPLE. Secure. And fun to do. Wear ear and eye protection. And warn any pets and family, LOL

Wow, my first contribution to the board! LOL. as opposed to asking WTF? :)

Wow, thanks for all the guidance! I'll research all the stuff you guys mentioned.

Later thought, i'm so dang tired from re-running wires all day...

When I did my basement I didn't anchor the studs to the wall at all. I nailed the wall together as unit, but left it short enough to tip up. I shimmed it and nailed it to the joists. On the base plate (i did use a treated one, and put some of the thin, rollout insulation under it) I anchored it to the floor with the tapcons. They are very easy to use, but i agree, get a good hammer drill. I put the pink plastic insulation on the concrete wall and a vapor barrior.

I'm reading up on the stuff here, also found a google link that suggested concrete adhesive in addition to the nails/etc. Anybody have any suggestions/tips about that?

Thanks again for the pointers.

I'm reading up on the stuff here, also found a Google link that suggested concrete adhesive in addition to the nails/etc. Anybody have any suggestions/tips about that?

Thanks again for the pointers.

Liquid nails will stick the wood to the concrete, but I don't think that would be a recommended way (good luck ever removing them).

I bought one of those guns at Home Depot that comes with little bullets to shoot the special nails into the concrete. Works great, definitely recommended if you are doing a lot. They have a cheap version which requires a hammer to trigger the charge, so that could be another option.

I bought one of those guns at Home Depot that comes with little bullets to shoot the special nails into the concrete. Works great, definitely recommended if you are doing a lot. They have a cheap version which requires a hammer to trigger the charge, so that could be another option.

I have used the gun as well (the model above the hammer version, think it is around $80 or so). Worked real good for me. I did not feel real comfortable about hitting .22 shells with a hammer, but maybe that is just me. Something about the concept just 'didn't seem right'.

How old is the concrete that you guys shot the nails into? The following quote had me concerned, as my concrete is probably 30+years old.

Hammering especially with bullet powered hammers in older concrete is a pain and likely just cracks and breaks up the concrete.

Back