Moving HA from Ubuntu 20.04 to Oracle VB

pete_c

Guru
Been seeing unstable build of HA now for a couple of months running on Ubuntu 20.04.    

Built a new box recently and it updated fine a few times until yesterday.     

I also have current version of HS4 running on same Ubuntu Box and a Windows VB for SAPI speech. (total VBs ==> 2)  

It is currently running Supervisor and HACS.    

I was able to update it using the HA command line functions and it was a PITA.  I am still seeing unstable build.    

Today decided to use the posted HA VDI for VB to see how that works.   

Linux Home Assistant  

VDI Download.  

I see that it boots in to an HA OS. Linux - HomeAssistant    

I have two Gb NICs on micro computer so bridging second NIC for HA OS.  

Went to the web interface and see this:  

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1487]

Installed SSH / Terminal access and configuration for external SSH access.

Installation of HACS

| |  | |                          /\           (_)   | |            | |  
| |__| | ___  _ __ ___   ___     /  \   ___ ___ _ ___| |_ __ _ _ __ | |_ 
|  __  |/ _ \| '_ \ _ \ / _ \   / /\ \ / __/ __| / __| __/ _\ | '_ \| __|
| |  | | (_) | | | | | |  __/  / ____ \\__ \__ \ \__ \ || (_| | | | | |_ 
|_|  |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___| /_/    \_\___/___/_|___/\__\__,_|_| |_|\__|

Welcome to the Home Assistant command line.

System information
  IPv4 addresses for enp0s3: 192.168.244.249/25
  IPv6 addresses for enp0s3: 2601:xxx
  OS Version:               Home Assistant OS 6.2
  Home Assistant Core:      2021.9.3

Home Assistant URL:       http://homeassistant.local:8123
  Observer URL:             http://homeassistant.local:4357
~ $ wget -O - https://get.hacs.xyz | bash -

jkjljljl

Just run Supervised on Debian. I too fought it for the longest time; not because I had a problem with Debian, but because EVERYTHING I did was on Ubuntu. I didn’t want to run their all-in version on stripped Alpine Linux so I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled on the latest Debian. It’s been rock solid with absolutely zero problems since.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Terry.

Will more than likely go the Debian way.  A full circle now as that is where I started a few years back running Linux on Arm CPUs.  (IE: Seagate Dockstar Irrigation controller).

This all started with last HomeAssistant update.  It did not work due to the Ubuntu OS issues.  I was able to repair it using the CLI interface.

Originally repaired on oldest running Home Assistant still on Ubuntu 18.04 with Homeseer 3 running.  Then fixed it on newer Homeassistant running on Ubuntu 20.04 with Homeseer 4.  I also have a 3rd instance running for house #2 on a Pine64 2Gb box running Armbian with a HA configuration script.  Same issue though on the Pine64 box (and SD RW issues which crop up sometimes).

That said I also went to installing the Oracle Virtual Box Homeassistant VDI which also works and makes HA more "portable" while concurrently running Homeseer 4.

I am definitely going to the Supervisor HA build as that is most stable and more than likely shut down the old Ubuntu builds of HA.

roussell said:
Just run Supervised on Debian. I too fought it for the longest time; not because I had a problem with Debian, but because EVERYTHING I did was on Ubuntu. I didn’t want to run their all-in version on stripped Alpine Linux so I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled on the latest Debian. It’s been rock solid with absolutely zero problems since. Terry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ this! I ran their supervised on ubuntu for a long time until they started warning that it was an "unsupported" OS, then I switched to debian and have had zero problems. 

Here running HA / Supervised old on:

1 - Ubuntu Server 20.04 with 32Gb of RAM (newer CPU / motherboard).  It is running a broken Supervised HA and Homeseer 4 and Oracle Virtual box WIndows embedded used for Microsoft SAPI speech (5 instances 5 different speech fonts).  2U box with a mITX board (server style board)

* Built a new HA Supervised instance using HA posted VDI - it is working well - may rebuild box from scratch.  Homeseer is just a directory.  VB is just an image.

2 - new Mini PC box - Jetway micro with 8 Gb of RAM - 2 NICs and WLAN interface - installed Ubuntu 20.04 base, Homeseer 4, HA / Supervisor (with errors), Oracle VB with now a 2 Gb Windows embedded instance and new 2 Gb HA supervised instance.  Again here Homeseer is just a directory and VBs are easy to move around.

Base HA install manages the OmniPro 2 panel and Ring alarm in house #2 (cloud).  HA house #2 only has HA Ring monitoring enabled.

As of current time here now have 4 instances of HA running - 2 old production on Ubuntu 20.04 and 2 new (VBs) on two boxes (house #1) and 1 old HA Supervised with errors on a Pine64 2Gb computer running Armbian.   (running Supervisor and HACS).  All of this because I am running HS4 and HA on the same machine. Mosquitto broker is still running on an older Ubuntu server. Going switch to running MQTT on new HA VB.

Ubuntu 20.04

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1491]

Ubuntu 20.04  HA Virtual Box image

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1490]

Found this here:

If you install Home Assistant supervised on something different than Debian you will see this unsupported installation label.

Don’t worry too much about that label. I’m having my production / main Home Assistant installed that way with the same label for over a year now and I can assure you that nothing bad happened.

Of course, if you wish you can install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian with exact the same commands as I will use below and you won’t have that unsupported label. The choice is yours.

Back