need help with UPB 3-way switch wiring

ok, so here is the latest. I have the master working to the point that UPStart sees it ok and the led goes on/off. It does not, however, control the load. I tried with the slave hooked up and without it hooked up. None of the lines where the slave is have power, but I tried getting it from the switch next to it. Hard to say if it really worked or not as I could check the status of the load.
I assume the slaves don't need to be programed in UPStart, do they? I could never get it into program mode.

Thanks to all for the help. Think I am almost there.

D

The slave talks to the master via the yellow (your color may vary) wire. The slaves just mimic the master.

ok, I seem to have the load working now with the slave as well, but, when I turn the master on, the blue light on the slave goes on. Should be off to correspond to the load correct? When I turn the slave off, load goes off but led does not light.

any ideas?

ok, well i removed the slave and put in a US2-40 to see if i could get that going. I am able to put it in setup mode, but UPStart does not "see" it.
I am losing my mind over this. It shouldn't be ths difficult. I hate 3-way wiring. arghhh!!

I currently have the red traveller in remote 1, brown i tried on both blacks and both blacks together and black on the switch I put it on another black on the switch beside it cause there didn't appear to be any power coming into any of the existing lines from the slave switch. I measured something like 5v I believe.

ok, well a big thanks to everyone that helped, but an even bigger thanks goes to Event5 for taking his time with me going over every detail about my wiring and figuring out what goes where.
It's finally working.

Thanks again Dave!

D

Derek,
I was glad to help. You can also contact Brad or Ken at the contact info below. they can send you a good document that describes 3 way conversions.

If you have questions on this or any application with Simply Automated products call 800-630-9234 or email: [email protected]. Someone is available Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

Dave

well, there isn't really much to share, just some weird wiring issues on my end. Plus I had the whoel "3-way" logic in my head when it's not really a 3-way as we know it.

I have a 4-way load/switch setup in my master bedroom. It took me a while to figure out what each wire is, but I believe I have them now.

I wired up the master UPB switch and it controls the load fine (no slaves connected yet).

My question - do I NEED to wire up the slave switches? We've never used them before (my wife didn't even know they existed) and it would save me time/money to skip them. The switch seems to work fine without them.

My concern is that 1 of the remote locations has a COM wire in the box. The other remote location does not - it has 2 travelers in, and 2 travelers out. I put a wirenut on the COM wire and everything seems fine... but am I breaking any rules? Is there any danger?

Thanks!

bfisher,

If it was a 4 way circuit. What do the other conventional switches currently do. Did you disconnect them? Do you want them to control the master? You have a choice of using slave switches and all the wiring that that intales or us other "master switches" to control the load as " virtual slaves", or use the other switch locations for "virtual slaves for some other load. Many possibilities.
You can use the "travelers" just as you did. Make sure all the connections are tight. You will be fine. If you have the wires you can put a Hot and a Neutral in any of the boxes and install control switches to control anything you can think of.

Dave

Back