New Video Doorbell

Need to wait a day for the patch to cure.

Are you going to paint it to match the rest of the stucco?

The provided wedge of about 20 degrees works so so, I need about 40-45 to cover the pathway to the entrance.

So that 20 degree one is the largest one?  I do not remember anymore.  Can you stack one wedge over the other?

1.  I'll paint. It's just about a half inch of mortar on either side -- the electrical box opening was wider than the doorbell camera so instead if mounting the camera on top of the electrical box cover I decided just to put a bit of mortar on each side of the opening to make it narrower so that the camera's mount would cover the hole completely.  The electrical box  is not really a box but rather a rectangular bracket that's cemented inside a hole made in the CB. Since the CB concrete is exposed, the mortar should stick. It would not work of course if it were a real plastic/metal electrical box.

2. Unfortunately, one wedge is horizontal and the other is vertical. You cannot combine them.  I'll probably mount with the 20 degree one for now, but will try to make a wooden wedge if I feel motivated enough.  The problem is I do not have woodworking tools to do that, not even a manual planer.

I saw the swivel mount on ipcamtalk, but it looks rather fragile with wires exposed.

one wedge is horizontal and the other is vertical

Yes recall now it was three ...one flat and two wedges.

You might be able to utilize longer screws and then wedge a piece of wood on one side to get a larger angle?

Repost here:

OK tested again with pics. First test was top of hand. Wife did say she was cold but thinking temps on back of hand should be in the low 90's.
All of the temperature readings were done with gun about a foot away. Historically have only used MicroTemp gun at a distance of greater than 20 feet.
Using a new 24VAC 30VA AC doorbell transformer. Testing was done with a 16VAC 10VA transformer (transformer did get warm).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1261]

After reading about testing earlier today tested it myself here and looks like it does run hot regardless of firmware.

More testing from more users posting on the IPCamTalk forum.

hxxps://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/page-55#post-392444

My current DB is the RCA version (Latest Firmware 190124 - according to Ezviz App ) and my tests were taken directly on the surface of the unit (front and back) not mounted & with out the cover. It had been running for at least 30 minutes. Temps taken with a cheap infrared thermometer, back of wrist read 89 degrees, it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit indoors, test taken 6" away, no dedicated stream running yet, and using a 24VAC 40VA transformer. Depending on the accuracy of my thermometer, that is like 50-60 degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I am returning it to amazon and I have a Nelly version on the way so I will test and post the results of that here. I have not found any post of a hack to get into the web interface, does anyone think or know if that might be possible or has it been ruled out as not existing?

Some one did mention that IPC boards typically run warm or hot. 

Here have two camera boards that I am testing (38mm).  These are both using Hikvision OS.  Slower than the doorbell cam when using the batch configuration program.  These have been running now for a couple of weeks in the basement.  Both are warm to the touch.  Checking temps...batch configuration program shows a temperature tag but no temperature is seen.

Ambiant temps in the unfinished basement is 66 °F and IPC boards temps are 89-90 °F

pete_c said:
More testing from more users posting on the IPCamTalk forum.

hxxps://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/page-55#post-392444

My current DB is the RCA version (Latest Firmware 190124 - according to Ezviz App ) and my tests were taken directly on the surface of the unit (front and back) not mounted & with out the cover. It had been running for at least 30 minutes. Temps taken with a cheap infrared thermometer, back of wrist read 89 degrees, it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit indoors, test taken 6" away, no dedicated stream running yet, and using a 24VAC 40VA transformer. Depending on the accuracy of my thermometer, that is like 50-60 degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I am returning it to amazon and I have a Nelly version on the way so I will test and post the results of that here. I have not found any post of a hack to get into the web interface, does anyone think or know if that might be possible or has it been ruled out as not existing?

Some one did mention that IPC boards typically run warm or hot. 

Here have two camera boards that I am testing (38mm).  These are both using Hikvision OS.  Slower than the doorbell cam when using the batch configuration program.  These have been running now for a couple of weeks in the basement.  Both are warm to the touch.  Checking temps...batch configuration program shows a temperature tag but no temperature is seen.

Ambiant temps in the unfinished basement is 66 °F and IPC boards temps are 89-90 °F
My upgraded transformer (24/30, the same as yours) runs pretty warm too, about 120F measured with a contact thermocouple.  I have a vague memory that the smaller transformer, an 18/10, was less hot.

The camera with the cover on runs about the same: 120-123F on top.  I did not bother to remove the cover, so some heat is certainly dissipated.

I have the "power kit" (probably a simple resistor shunting the chime coil) attached, otherwise the mechanical chime buzzes.

Yeah the Ring Doorbell when charging (connected to an AC transformer also got hot).

I was using an Elk 930/960 configuration for the alarm panel and it would not work with the Hikvision camera after trying originally installed Transformer (10VAC 10VA) so tried a 16VAC then settled on a 24VAC transformer which does get warm. 

I assumed initially that the lower voltage AC transformer would get warm because the amperage draw was higher than the higher voltage AC transformer.

The old chime was for the 10VAC transformer and it is much louder now with the 24VAC transformer.
None the less the zone trigger does a TTS announcement that someone is at the front door. The Aux outdoor PIR does the same if someone at at the front door porch any how.

Still the Elk would not trigger the zone so passed two more wires to a reed switch by the magnet to trigger the zone.  The chime always worked.

I used the inclued "power module" in the doorbell.

I am Ok with the temps as long as when it is cold there is no condensation on the lens.

One thing here was that I used the 2.4Ghz radio to pair the doorbell to the WAP (Ruckus) as I had issues using the 5 Ghz radio.  Then switched over to using the 5Ghz radio.

I saw the other compatible metal angle bracket on Amazon.  A bit over priced and I do not like that it has a large footprint with no weather protection on the back of it.  I did initially try using the Ring Doorbell angle bracket but it would not fit correctly.  None the less the included angle bracket has worked for me with the FOV side to side edge view (horizontal) and up and down view (vertical).  You see the package wherever it is on the front porch.

vc1234 said:
My upgraded transformer (24/30, the same as yours) runs pretty warm too, about 120F measured with a contact thermocouple.  I have a vague memory that the smaller transformer, an 18/10, was less hot.

The camera with the cover on runs about the same: 120-123F on top.  I did not bother to remove the cover, so some heat is certainly dissipated.

I have the "power kit" (probably a simple resistor shunting the chime coil) attached, otherwise the mechanical chime buzzes.
I measured the current drawn from the transformer. It was only 145mA with 28V which is about 3.8 Watt at most (not taking into account the factor).  Not sure how the transformer is supposed to sustain 40/28= 1.45A if its temperature already rose to 120F.  The transformer is rated at 24V but the actual voltage is 28V.

So, I've sent it back and will try another one.

Meanwhile I put back my old 16V/10VA.  It's temperature is noticeably lower and measured 108-110F with about 200mA current and 19V which is about the same 3.8VA as with the more 'powerful' transformer.  Interestingly, the camera temperature was also lower at 115F.  Perhaps, 28V is bit high so the voltage regulator on the camera has to dissipate more to lower it to whatever it needs.  That sort of indicates that a 16V/30VA transformer is probably better than a 24/40VA.

Understood.

Ahh...you got me looking back at the old transformer that I removed....looking at the label it is 10 VAC and 5VA...which originally came with the house / doorbell chime amd the one I originally utilized with the Ring doorbell and another one that I purchased which is 16VAC and 10VA.

fwiw, I'd be careful with these doorbells - mine started on fire. The only thing the insurance investigator could ever turn up was that it was a faulty product. 

edit: I should add, mine was a rebranded product by Nelly's

Wow jon...

Here yesterday went back to using the 16VAC 10VA transformer on my non labled HiKvision DB2 doorbell (Nelly's).

You are the first person or user of said OEM doorbell to post about a fire with the Doorbell.

What transformer were you using with it?

How long was it running before it burned up?

Here contractor ran 4 wires to the doorbell button.  Might connect a 1-wire temperature sensor out there using two wires.

@vc1234  

I had ordered the 16VAC 30 VA transformer from Amazon and it did not have a ring to box connector rather it was just a set screw which I did not like so returned it. So now have a small collection of transformers. The return window for last transformer is up now with Amazon so I guess I will keep it as a "hot" spare.  

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1262]

Gonna do outside temperature readings with the current replaced yesterday 16VAC 10VA transformer. 

Looks to be working fine relating to WAP connectivity and RTSP / JPG captures.

The original Ring Doorbell utilized old contractor installed 10VAC / 10VA transformer and it worked fine with Chime and both Elk circuits (zone trigger and debounce board).

The currently used 16VAC / 10VAC was an old hot spare I had here still in the package from many years ago.  

I originally changed the transformer with the HikVision OEM cuz it wouldn't trigger the Elk 930 board.

The Nelly OEM Hikvision manual makes no mention of the doorbell transformer requirments. The RCA OEM Hikvision states you can utilize an 8-24VAC transformer.

I posted your stuff relating to difference in temps with different transformers on the IPCAM forum.

Back