Nuvo Music Port MPS4

Having a new problem. Music Port Sync tool had a line that said there was a new version available. This is within the program. Clicked it and it uninstalled the music port sync tool and (I presume) resinstalled the new version. I have the sync tool monitoring my itunes library. Now iTunes runs EXTREMELY slow and everytime you close itunes I get the message

"One or more applications are using the iTunes scripting interface. Are you sure you want to quit?" If you do nothing, all applications using the scripting interface will be automatically disconnected in 20 seconds."

When I close itunes manually or wait automatically, itunes immediately restarts again. If I go to windows services and processes and manually shut down the autonomicsyncapp, it doesn't do it anymore. Something is obviously happening with the monitoring of the itunes library and the sync tool. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions?

I'd call Nuvo TS.

I don't use iTunes. Does it do this only for that machine? I have the sync tool running on several machines.

You could re-download the sync tool, and/or re-install iTunes. But, I'd prob call TS first. They may be able to set you up with the older sync tool again.

I am wondering if anyone else has their MPS4 (e in my case) sync the time over to Nuvo (GC in my case). I have this setting enabled, but the DST time change was never synced over even though the clock on the MPS4 shows the correct time. I tried disabiling and renabling that setting as well as rebooting the MPS4 and the GC. I am running the latest software versions on all the systems. I am just curious if anyone else has run into this, or resolved it before I call TS.

Wayne

My time changed correctly for DST.

Nuvo GC and MPS4.

Check your settings in the web-based config? Perhaps you do not have a valid time server entry?

I am wondering if anyone else has their MPS4 (e in my case) sync the time over to Nuvo (GC in my case). I have this setting enabled, but the DST time change was never synced over even though the clock on the MPS4 shows the correct time. I tried disabiling and renabling that setting as well as rebooting the MPS4 and the GC. I am running the latest software versions on all the systems. I am just curious if anyone else has run into this, or resolved it before I call TS.

Wayne

My time changed correctly for DST.

Nuvo GC and MPS4.

Check your settings in the web-based config? Perhaps you do not have a valid time server entry?

No I checked all that, and it seems correct. I even told it to manually sync the time with the NTP server (which it did fine). I guess I need to call Nuvo...

FYI on two things:
#1. I called Nuvo on the time sync thing, they told me to just set the clock manually. I was a bit disappointed in that response since my customers would not be happy to hear that.
#2. There is a new firmware update (3.0.10880.0) out there. I installed it, and haven't seen anything different yet... Hopefully there is cool new stuff, but who knows...

I want to fan the fire of a rumor started by jautor a month ago.

I search Nuvo at AO, and I only see a couple items listed.

I want to fan the fire of a rumor started by jautor a month ago.

I search Nuvo at AO, and I only see a couple items listed.

I noticed the same thing as well. At first I was wondering if they weren't an authorized dealer anymore but then I found this thread. I've been looking at adding a MPS4 and possibly upgrading my E6G to a Grand Concerto, Might have to hold off for a bit.

Hello - am very now to this forum and to Nuvo. Hopefully posting in the right place - apologies in advance if not.

I purchased an Essentia for a home we recently renovated and have 5 zones using 5 keypads (the single gang OLED versions). Unfortunately the company that installed it was not very skilled (they are a security system company) and I ultimately told them to stop and I would find someone else. They attempted to set up favorites or macros that would command an Onkyo receiver with network audio streaming capability to send either pandora or other streaming sources to certain zones, but it rarely works and requires me to go to the Onkyo in the family room, turn it on, tune to a station, then go back to the listening zone keypad and select a source. Not great. So I have learned of the Music Port Elite and that would seem to be the cat's meow but I have some questions:

1) I've read the installation manual and it looks like I could install this myself, but not sure how I would clean up the source labeling job that the installer did. It's a mess with a bunch of favorites that I would want to eliminate.

2) I'm a Mac guy - does the Music Port Elite support syncing to iTunes libraries on Mac?

3) What's involved in getting the necessary SW to reprogram the Essential (source labeles are what I'm mostly wanting to change) and can that be run from something like VMware Fusion or Virtual Box on a Mac - I think the interface to the Essentia to upload the new control information is via serial so would I need some kind of USB->Serial cable?

4) I read this entire thread and saw mention of a future capability (in fact this is now referenced on the Music Port Elite page on SmartHome.com) of being able to attach a USB drive to the USB port on the MPS4 to expand the capacity of the internal drive. Was this ever implemented?

Thanks for your indulgence. Am anxious to get this system to a point where I can actually use it!

I purchased an Essentia for a home we recently renovated and have 5 zones using 5 keypads (the single gang OLED versions). Unfortunately the company that installed it was not very skilled (they are a security system company) and I ultimately told them to stop and I would find someone else. They attempted to set up favorites or macros that would command an Onkyo receiver with network audio streaming capability to send either pandora or other streaming sources to certain zones, but it rarely works and requires me to go to the Onkyo in the family room, turn it on, tune to a station, then go back to the listening zone keypad and select a source. Not great.

I would only blame them for attempting to do this in the first place. Getting any AVR to navigate the menus and select Internet Radio Services via an IR macro is a losing proposition. They should have never even tried.

Two choices:
1) Use the Onkyo "app" on a smartphone to select Internet sources, etc. So at least you don't have to go to the other room do it.
2) Bite the bullet and get the MPS4 or MPS4E - you'll get a well-integrated solution, and metadata on the keypads. Since you've really paid quite a bit for the OLED display/capability - it's a shame not to take full advantage of the keypad's capability.

So I have learned of the Music Port Elite and that would seem to be the cat's meow but I have some questions:

1) I've read the installation manual and it looks like I could install this myself, but not sure how I would clean up the source labeling job that the installer did. It's a mess with a bunch of favorites that I would want to eliminate.

The NuVo setup software is pretty straightforward. Deleting favorites/macros/etc. is easy.

2) I'm a Mac guy - does the Music Port Elite support syncing to iTunes libraries on Mac?

Yes, there's a Mac version of the Sync tool:

http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/_blog/news/post/NuVo_Adds_New_Mac_Sync_Tool_for_Music_Port_(MPS4)_and_Music_Port_Elite_(MPS4-E)_Source_Components/

3) What's involved in getting the necessary SW to reprogram the Essential (source labeles are what I'm mostly wanting to change) and can that be run from something like VMware Fusion or Virtual Box on a Mac - I think the interface to the Essentia to upload the new control information is via serial so would I need some kind of USB->Serial cable?

I'd really just suggest finding someone with a Windows laptop to do it. I wouldn't look forward to getting the USB serial port driver for a Mac and getting the virtual machine products to properly map all that. May work just fine - but I'm a computer guy and I'd just look for a laptop friend. You'll likely still need a USB-to-serial. I've had pretty good luck with any of them working with the NuVo configuration software, though...

4) I read this entire thread and saw mention of a future capability (in fact this is now referenced on the Music Port Elite page on SmartHome.com) of being able to attach a USB drive to the USB port on the MPS4 to expand the capacity of the internal drive. Was this ever implemented?

Not sure, but the "Elite" can access stuff on your network shares.

Jeff

Awesome Jeff - thanks for all the insight. This is tremendously helpful. Couple of clarifying questions. 1) Where can I get the SW to configure the Essentia. 2) Will the MPS4-E stream the music from the shares on the network or does it have to bring it down to it's local HD? That's where the question about the USB HD came in because I thought it was "sync'ing" the files to a local drive from the shares.

-CC

Awesome Jeff - thanks for all the insight. This is tremendously helpful. Couple of clarifying questions. 1) Where can I get the SW to configure the Essentia. 2) Will the MPS4-E stream the music from the shares on the network or does it have to bring it down to it's local HD? That's where the question about the USB HD came in because I thought it was "sync'ing" the files to a local drive from the shares.

-CC

Software comes with the unit (in the box) - if the dealer didn't leave the CD with you, you can get it from Nuvo Tech Support.

I believe the Elite just accesses the network drive. It's the PC/Mac "Sync" tool that copies files to the server's hard drive. Haven't used it personally - but you might find more detailed, up-to-date info on Autonomic Controls' MMS5 (which is what the MPS4/e server software is based on).

Jeff

Software comes with the unit (in the box) - if the dealer didn't leave the CD with you, you can get it from Nuvo Tech Support.

I believe the Elite just accesses the network drive. It's the PC/Mac "Sync" tool that copies files to the server's hard drive. Haven't used it personally - but you might find more detailed, up-to-date info on Autonomic Controls' MMS5 (which is what the MPS4/e server software is based on).

Jeff

You can do either with the Elite. I just sync it so I don't have to worry about it later. All the songs are on the MPS, and it just works. I believe you can leave them on your computer, but if there is ever a hickup (or the computer is off), you might have a problem.

Wayne

Nuvo, and every other custom electronics manufacturer, doesn't want DIYers calling tech support with stupid questions. Do your homework, read the install manuals several times. Get help here first.

And register with Nuvo as an installer, to get the software. My MPS4E software did not ship with the hardware.

Buy Nuvo equipment from an Authorized distributor or local dealer. Compare prices, the local dealer may be able to beat the distributor price. Some online 'distributors' charge MSRP. Call Nuvo to confirm that the distributor is authorized.

Back