Nuvo Music Port MPS4

Just an FYI, Nuvo was bought a week or two ago by Legrand. They are a bit more open on who they sell through. This may make things easier in the long run. Also, call Smarthome. I have bought Nuvo from them at discount by just asking really nicely on the phone.

Wayne

Thanks for the tips everyone- I contacted another round of local dealers and am waiting to hear back. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes with Legrand.

Plan B is to hook up a small airplay compatible reciever to one of the E6G inputs and then stream from my iphone/ipad. It won't have direct control or metadata from the keypads but at least I'll be able to stream Pandora and Radio Paradise throughout the house.

Anyone using an NAS, with the MPS4/E? Any 'gotchas' to consider, before purchasing?

I'm looking at Synology.

Someone from Nuvo has suggested using the browser interface for controlling the MPS4 with Android. Any tips on getting this to work?

When I type in the IP of the MPS4 into my android phone browser address bar, it populates the address bar with "###.###.#.###/MusicPort", but I get a blank screen.

Neurorad said:
Someone from Nuvo has suggested using the browser interface for controlling the MPS4 with Android. Any tips on getting this to work?

When I type in the IP of the MPS4 into my android phone browser address bar, it populates the address bar with "###.###.#.###/MusicPort", but I get a blank screen.
I think Nuvo has kinda left us out to try...
There is no Android Nuvo app for the MPS (only for the new wireless system).  And using a web browser with the old one requires flash, which no longer exists on newer versions of Android.  So if you have an old android device, and you can find flash, that it can work.  Otherwise, you are not able to control it anymore :(  It really irritates me that they are just kicking the high end folks to the curb.

Wayne

Neurorad said:
Ah, Flash, thanks.
Yea, it sucks.  It worked on my older HTC (ICS), but doesn't work on my S3 (JB).  I have not messed with trying to find a flash installer, but it might be possible.

Hello.  I'm putting together a Nuvo system for a friend.  Regarding the Music Port,  will it sync music from an Ipad or Iphone?  No "real" computers at his house.  8)

Thanks!

sbex55 said:
Hello.  I'm putting together a Nuvo system for a friend.  Regarding the Music Port,  will it sync music from an Ipad or Iphone?  No "real" computers at his house.  8)

Thanks!

No.  The MPS4E can sync to a NAS box, but not directly to an iOS device.  You can use one of the iPod docks, or an Airport Express or Bluetooth receiver to connect an iOS device to the system, but none of those solutions involve the MusicPort.

Has anyone configured Amazon Cloud Player to work with an MPS4/E?  Amazon says many of the albums I have bought since 1998 are also available to me digitally, though the Cloud Player.  I can download the Cloud Player .exe to my PC, and view the albums, but no luck through the MPS4E.  After entering my Amazon ID and pw into the MP configuration browser page, Content tab, I receive the error, 'Changes were not saved.  There was an error on this page.'

Any tips?

I downloaded the Amazon Cloud Player software to a networked PC, and viewed all the albums I have bought from Amazon.  I then downloaded them, using the Cloud Player software as mp3 files, and now I'm using Music Port Sync to copy them to the MPS4.

Neurorad said:
I downloaded the Amazon Cloud Player software to a networked PC, and viewed all the albums I have bought from Amazon.  I then downloaded them, using the Cloud Player software as mp3 files, and now I'm using Music Port Sync to copy them to the MPS4.
Newbie to the board.  And...fellow doc.  Seems none of us can stop working (although this is much more pleasurable).

My main project now is to automate our NuVo system.  When we moved into this house 6 yrs ago, it was pre-wired with a NuVo Concerto (not Grand).  It's a 6 zone/6 input system. Also have a T2 tuner. All 6 zones are used and wired by keypads in each room.  It works fine - sound is great.  Have set it up with the inputs we use the most.  Kids can use it - put it on, control the volume, change radio presets, etc from the in all panels.

Problem is - the techie in me wants to control the system without getting off of my couch and touching the keypad or getting up to grab the remote and find some direct line of sight route to shoot the IR remote at the keypad.  I'm trying to find out if I can control it via wifi (ipad/iphone/laptop/droid).  I want to be able to turn zones on/off from the comfort of my couch or outside (have 1 outside zone but the keypad is inside).  I've searched and found many suggestions for the Grand Concerto, but not the legacy Concerto system.  I'd prefer to not have to upgrade the system to the GC.  Not discussed at all is this app which I found (not allowed to post links...yet, but you can find this in the Apple App Store; look at the figures especially the 3rd picture):

TheConductor by BuildThings

It says that it works through a spliced in device on the Nuvo net to convert the Cat5e (inputs from all keypads) to serial with a wifi interface.  It will identify the IP address of the keypads and then do an automatic setup to create a wifi remote control.

Found a wifi serial to IP bridge:  Global Cache, IP2SL

This can convert the Nuvonet signal on the cat 5 to the serial port interface and has wifi control.

So...my first question for the forum is:  should this work with the Concerto?  If not, any other suggestions?  Hook up a wifi to IR converter and put it over the IR receiver on the keypad?  Problems with this (besides my wife's objections to the decor) is that I don't think it is possible to send a signal from one keypad to activate another.

Once I solve this, will move to next project:  being able to control the source input and access/control iTunes input to each zone.  I don't need to have metadata on the keypad - would never walk over specifically to learn of the song.  Presumably will be able to access this on the tablet/phone.  Have thought about a Sonus Connect as one of the inputs which I can control wirelessly and should access my iTunes server.  This is stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro6 which runs a Firefly iTunes server (accessible on the network) and I'm assuming will be accessible by the Sonos.

Thanks much!!!

Other equipment:
Roku 2xs (x2) running Plex to stream movies from the server.

Jjnsgy,

Whew. Sounds painful.

Not to dodge your question, but I have concerns that you will spend a bunch of time and considerable $ kludging this together, only to be dissappointed. I empathize with your geeky desire to make it work, but if I were you, I would get on craigslist and eBay, find a good deal on a GC.

AceCannon said:
Jjnsgy,

Whew. Sounds painful.

Not to dodge your question, but I have concerns that you will spend a bunch of time and considerable $ kludging this together, only to be dissappointed. I empathize with your geeky desire to make it work, but if I were you, I would get on craigslist and eBay, find a good deal on a GC.
AC-
I appreciate that.  That begs the next question:  Can I do what I am describing with the GC?  Devil's advocate:  the serial -ip adapter is $109 from smarthome.  The app is free.  Is it that painful?  What am I missing?

Thanks for the reply.

jjnsgy,

I looked over that app. I appears to me that the app expects you to connect a serial port server to the back panel of a GC and control it with the same serial protocol that any other device would use to speak to the GC.

No idea if the Concerto can do this. I assume there is a serial port on the back panel?

(FYI, in my setup I am using two Quatech 4-port servers that I procured from Ebay at $20 each. They have been working for 4-5 years now, so it doesn't necessarily cost much to do serial-IP bridging.)

In my setup, CQC controls the GC via the serial port (via a serial server), while the native Nuvo app for iOS uses IP. Both work at the same time.

Back