***OFFICIAL HOMESEER PRICING THREAD***

Hehe, I just try to show both sides of the equation! As everyone here knows Cocoontech has the fortunate situation in that we are not "vendor sponsored" which is one of our strong advantages. Comments expressed by our membership are not "censored" and are their true beliefs (of course we watch if things get out of line, but because of the professionalism of our membership this has not happened to this date ... BSR knocks on wood!).

I also hope I did not seem insensitive to people truly concerned about the price increase including the increased cost of the plugins. A lot of good points were brought up.

One in particular was the comment where a (paid) plugin would be released and then left up to the membership to "beta test" and bring up its problems to the developer to hopefully fix (plus documentation is minimal or non-existent). Homeseer isn't the only software product that does this though.

BTW: I'm not running for president, just trying to buck electron for a raise for this New Year!! ;)

Uncomfortable?
With any pricing action there will always be commentary.

My point, which has been posted before, so please forgive the redundancy is that I would be glad to hear the Homeseer is financially secure to continue supporting the product that I have invested a little bit of cash and a TON of time (time is money). It is well worth it to me that they make a few bucks with each plugin then go out of business from not being run like a business.

I did finally buy the $25 Hauppauge plugin in anticipation that someday I will find the time to work on it and before the price increase ;)

I got a private message from CocoonTech and checked it out. It was a survey from some gal in England! Anyway. I decided to see ehat I have been missing and saw this "super-thread" talking about HomeSeer pricing.

I read the entire thread. Noticed no one said anything ill of me so I need not get defensive. I will give my two cents.

I also have done the math that firtha did and it amazes me that HS was able to make ends meet. So, I understand the need for pricing increases. On the other hand, I also started with HomeSeer when there was a lot of colloboration with scripts. I guess I am in the middle (hard for a staunch conservative like myself :) ).

IMHO, the colloborative effort is still present but discussion about commercial stuff tends to skew vintage HS users into thinking that the good ol' days are gone. Personally, I still offer plenty of free stuff and am willing to colloborate on it. I have free plug-ins that I will provide source for. I try to keep a comprehensive list of all these options at http://www.doosoft.com/downloads.php (it becomes difficult to maintain all those links when HS switches boards - not complaining about that mind you).

But with all the free software available, it seems that everyone wants to focus on the "doubling of the price of a plug-in" or "geez, I remember when HomeSeer paid me to use their software" :p. I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek because in order to keep another plug-in from dying a slow death at $29.95, I now offer it on my site. It was an easy decision since it was one of my favorite projects. I am no longer the developer but it has "my name on it". Some would say it should be free but it has taken hours and hours of work.

Now I am contemplating the future of my premiere plug-in. It was the first one (Michael may have gotten to market first) and I talked to Rich about some of the concepts. I read through this thread and think sh*t I am charging the same as what HomeSeer used to cost. However, I have always considered that what I charge is soley for support. If users don't hear from me in a reasonable amount of time (and I am not in Germany again :p ), then you might as well contact my wife and give your condolences.

HA is still a hobby for me (yes, my funds tend to go back into my hobby) and I hope that others still feel the same way. Now, can we start some colloborating?

Jim,
thanx for one of the "saner" responses to the "crisis".
Also thanx for DooMotion (bought it) and for the FREEEBIEEE DooNetwork plugin!!!!

I also have your RCS X10 plugin to try to use with my older RCS X10 one way thermo, but just bought another RS485 thermostat on this board for the barn, so I will use the RCS Serial plugin instead. It's great that you and CadillacKid are using the same syntax for both RCS thermo plugins.

Back