***OFFICIAL HOMESEER PRICING THREAD***

Here's how I'd like to see things like that done. I'd like to see some nice, clean individual components for this kind of stuff. In this example, separate components for:
1) sensor reading
2) database manipulation
3) plotting

Take the database manipulation module for example. I'd like to see a clean interface that allows me to create, add to, and query databases from any script. I could use different databases for different things or put everything in one. It would be up to me. I could use this from any script (and maybe from plugins). It could be written as a plugin with appropriate hooks (or done as a script). The point is that it would be a nice module dedicated to this functionality, not something dedicated to a particular application.

The sensor reading can be handled by a script or a plugin. If it's handled by a script, I can easily call database functions from that script to put the data in at each reading. Or, I can just use a timed event to store the data every 5 minutes. This leaves the functionality as versatile as possible, I think.

A plotting module that can take any data (from any database) and display it would be very useful. I can manipulate the data in a script to put it in the right format if necessary. But, it shouldn't be dedicated to temperature or weather data. Something that is versatile and easily customized would be nice.

If these components are available, it's very easy for me to use them for more things. I can add a security database that keeps track of all door and window events (which I do now in a flat file). This will parallel the type of functionality you have with the weather setup, but won't require developing all new modules (if I can reuse the database and plotting modules).

I can write a script that combines data from the temperature and security databases and plots them to see how opening and closing doors may affect my heating bill. This will not require that someone write a specific plugin for this.

I think that a set of these modules would be extremely useful. They rely on scripts as the glue to pull them together and create additional functionality. I would hope that this would once again stimulate sharing of scripts. While many people will not be willing to write their own from scratch, there are still people willing to modify others and learn.

Part of the problem I see with some of the current plugins (and scripts) is that they have gotten very complicated, merge a lot of different functionality, and do not provide for much expansion (without going back to the author).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think rather than combining your different modules into a single plugin, it may be more useful to keep them separate and provide them as tools that can be combined in many ways.

Note: This is coming from someone who wants a nice, simple way to work with databases, hasn't gotten around to figuring it out himself, and is tired of writing all his data to flat files.

Did anybody see the new HS newsletter? I noticed the section on the 2.0 release and the pricing. What caught my interest was the section at the bottom that had the prices. under the upgrade area it list it as "Special introductory pricing". Does that mean that the price will go up if you do not buy it during a certain period?

HomeSeer v2.0 release just around the corner!
The much-anticipated 2.0 upgrade is in its final phase of development and testing and we hope to release it within the next month or two. For those unfamiliar with 2.0, here are a few of the new features and enhancements:

2.0 is based entirely on .NET framework
Runs as a service on Windows 2000 & XP
Supports distributed audio and voice recognition on multiple networked PCs
Multi-threaded event execution and script processing
Z-Wave commands are now multi-casted to for improved response
Built-in web server supports ASP.NET
Compiled vb.net script support
SSL Web server
MSRP: $199.95 ($189.95 download).
Special Introductory upgrade (from v1.x) price: $49.95 ($39.95 download)

I noticed that too, sounds like they will charge more for an upgrade if you don't get it right away, this is really starting to upset me, I don't want HST to tell me when I should upgrade (or get punished financially if you don't listen to them).

This seems to be the latest pricing theme. Same thing is being done for the voices HERE.

Actually its a good thing these two pricing options are happening at the same time as I will probably not get the new Heather voice and go for the Homeseer 2.0 upgrade instead.

And another new pricing update! Did you see the post that now all THIRD PARTY plugins must now be at least $29.95. Why? They are third party! Shouldn't pricing be entirely up to the author? Does it really cost HS that much to sell them? ;)

I guess I wouldn't mind as long as I got a lot of functionality for my $30, but some of these plugins are very simple (like the AB8SS) and some are very complex (Hauppauge). From now on, I'm going to expect a heck of a lot more from a plugin at $30 a pop! I hope some of these guys take their plugins off the HS menu and offer themselves (for less than $30, of course).

I'm glad HS Tech is making money, but all these pricing increases are making me think twice about continuing with this hobby.

Mark

Without referring to Plug-In's....

I think that you have it a bit wrong, E. It is not that you are going to be penalized for a late purchase, but in the case of the voices, you are being rewarded for ADVANCING the money before purchase. In the case of HS 2.0, Rich originally said that there would be no upgrade path, but was considering something. He said that HS 2.0 was a complete re-write, and not an update to HS 1.7.
By offering for a limited time an upgrade path to 1.7 users I feel he is bending over backwards to accomodate anyone that would be interested in switching.

Still not gonna discuss Plug-In's... ;)

XP is a complete rewrite, yet they offer it as an upgrade so you can upgrade your Windows98 based system. Every company I have purchased software from either offers the upgrades for free, or for a small fee. All Rich has to do is collect the money so existing customers can install HS 2.0 (he doesn't have to bend over backwards at all). There is no way people will pay the full price for HS 2.0 just to upgrade from 1.7. The limited time seemed to refer to the upgrade price, not to how long the update product will be available (which your posts seems to indicate).

Heather is a different issue, I have no problems with the price difference.

The more I think about this third party plugin pricing, the less sense it makes.

The goverments builds roads and licences drivers. What if the government then decreed that all sedans sold in the state must sell for at least $35,000? I would feel sorry for the guy that makes Chevys or Kias. I guess HS only wants Audi's and Cadillacs on their roads.

What am I not understanding?

Mark

MarkS,
The reason the plugins are going to a minimum of $29.95 is due to them (HST) getting a larger percentage per plugin. In addition, in my opinion, they probably do not want to mange dozens of plugins. Another thing this pricing does is prevent developers from trying to charge for every small addon. I kinda like the new pricing, this way it has to be a heck of a good plugin to be worth $30. All others should either not be a plugin or should be free.

As far as plugins go I have yet to pay for a plugin and probably never will unless it does something as spectacular as HS itself. I am of course the tightest HS user of all time. ;)

Wasn't gonna say this.....but isn't the set plugin price over your initial HS purchase cost?

HUMMMMMMM. (banter not needed)

Ok, I just did the math on the amount of dollars one had to spend if they wanted each plugin from the updater:

$1018.61

This is pretty accurate (didn't include the cost of the beta version of a plugin), and pretty high, too high IMO. Add the cost of Homeseer and the hardware, and I can't figure out why one would even bother to purchase Homeseer. In my opinion, a lot of this functionality some of these plugins offer should be integrated into Homeseer, for speed and pricing reasons.

Rupp, as a response to your statement, what are you going to do with your $9.99 File Monitor plugin (a great plugin, a great price btw)? Are you going to increase the price, or offer it for free?

Dan,
I never did sell it. I have been giving it away. I initially thought about trying to sell the plugin to cover buying other plugins ,you know to cover this habit, but I never did. I guess HST will drop mine off the list. This does bring up a good question though. Will HST manage free plugins?

That's nice of you Rupp, I didn't realize you were giving them away. As for the free plugins, I think there will be a revolt if HST no longer hosts them.

Back