***OFFICIAL HOMESEER PRICING THREAD***

Originally posted by CFGUY:

BSR,
Yes, you will be able to use your plugins with version 2.0

The plan is for plugin developers to get a beta copy of 2.0. We were asked to test our plugins and if anything breaks to let HST know about it and to not change our plugins. They want to make the changes in 2.0 so the plugins work with no changes to the plugins.

Originally posted by BSR:

Great, thanks for the replies. I don't know what I would do without my favorite Homeseer plugins which includes:
Caddx Plugin by Nitrox
Ocelot Plugin by McSharry
WAF Caller ID by Kindred
MLHSPlugin by Krumpy

I really wouldn't use Homeseer at all if it were not for those plugins!

I have heard rumor that HST was a part time job for the folk(s) involved for quite a while, but now is full time for at least Rich, probably Rick, maybe Karen, and now they have established a new Sales / Marketing position.

I have mentioned this in prior posts that, I hope they remain profitable. If they go down the tubes, a lot of my time investment goes down with them. Of course it would be easier the second time, but I have no reason to switch now.

If they are able to make their product more turn key for newbees with a lower price point, that would help their future. I agree that their user interfaces need work to compete with the "big boys". Personally, I don't like a web front end - that's why I have spent so much time with MainLobby and the integration between ML and HS. And, the results have been worth it. I would compare the MLHS setup with ANY commercial setup - almost no matter what the price...(ok, within reasonable price...). I haven't found a board room system (Crestron / AMX etc) that I couldn't better in an afternoon.

I like that there are different models - Free / developer supported / HS supported. Choice is good. I have personally found the best support has been developer support. This isn't a knock on HS as they have limited resources to build the main system and then their plugins and then support. Personally, I would rather them focus on the main system and continue to provide easy ways for smart developers to share their experience, or make a small buck doing it.

If you continue with JRFuda's tack - what do you think the developers are making on their plugin sales (subset of total HS sales). I assure you NONE of them are getting rich on this. Also keep in mind that many of the active developers are full time developers for their day job. I like that they can make some small pocket money helping out my lack of coding experience! I suspect that the pay developers use this as a tax writeoff for their own HA software / hardware as primary $ purpose. But their real passion is to improve their own HA setups, and then yours and mine.

jrfuda,
My understanding from the letter I got about plugins is that it only applies to the plugins that are sold through the HST store.

There is nothing stopping me from writing a plugin and posting it in the updater for free. There was also nothing in the letter that said anything about removing the free stuff that I currently have in the updater.

For you guys that have never purchased a plugin, then nothing will change. You will still have access to the free items in the updater just as you do now. The only thing you will notice (if you haven't hidden the plugins in the updater view) is the plugins that you haven't purchased will have a price change.

As to purchasing a plugin. IMO, when I see a plugin that I am interested in, I have to decide:
Can I write it myself?
If I can then I have to decide:
Is it worth my time to do so?

If its going to take me more than a few hours, its cheaper for me to pay for the plugin and move on to something else.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Originally Posted by SKIBUM

3rd party plug-ins should be banned.
Skibum, just to clarify here, I assume you are only wanting to ban PAID 3rd party plug-ins and have no objections to FREE 3rd party plug-ins?

Let me clarify...

3rd party plug-ins should be banned from the updater. Anyone should be able to write a plug-in, and charge for it..... ON HIS OWN! Leave HST out of it!
Buyer beware...
Free third party plug-ins are OK I guess.

Great, I can see it now. Where do I get the plugin? I can't find it in the updater. Oh it's at http://www.deadlink.com.

I never thought of this but there's nothing stopping all users from pulling their plugins from the updater and charging anything they want for it. This also means HS will loose out on any revenue associated with the plugin. I'm sure up until now this was not considered as much because it was a fair and equatable system. What if a plugin isn't worth $30+ dollars. Is this HST way of weeding out so many smaller plugins?

Hum...

Now a user can truly write a plugin and developer their own installer and sell it. I may start writing plugins. :huh:

Ya might not like it, Rupp, but it would absolve HST from any responsibility or blame is said plug in goes belly up.

I mean... where did you go to get ultrastuff? To Ultra's site....

hmmm, sounds like it might be promising:

PowerHome is a home automation software package that allows you to control your home's lighting and appliances as well as your Home Theater's infrared devices. Lighting and appliances are controlled via the following X-10 controllers: CM11A, CM17A, MR26A, PowerLinc, W800RF32, and CPU-XA/Ocelot. Infrared control is achieved through the following IR controllers: CIR (Computerized Infrared Remote), Multi-CIR, RedRat2, RedRat3, CPU-XA/Ocelot, and Slink-e. With the CPU-XA/Ocelot and additional modules you also have access to digital inputs/outputs and analog inputs. With this programmable interface, control is achieved via keyboard, mouse, web, EMail, X-10, IR, Voice recognition, Socket communications, Windows Messaging, and even your internet enabled cellphone.

Features:

Fully programmable interface via your choice of languages. You can use the internal Macro and formula scripting or any language supported by Windows Script Host (for example: VBScript, JScript, etc.)
Internal Web server for remote control and monitoring. Supports user defined dynamic content via PSP (PowerHome Server Pages)
Voice Recognition
Text to Speech
User definable remote layouts allow for virtually any keystroke combination
Touchscreen friendly interface
Customizable display allows you to show floorplan layouts and place controls over actual photos
X-10 control via CM11A, CM17A firecracker, MR26A Mouse Remote, CPU-XA/Ocelot, W800, W800RF32, PowerLinc RS-232
Infrared control via CIR, Multi-CIR, RedRat2, RedRat3, CPU-XA/Ocelot, Slink-e, USB-Uirt
Digital Input, Digital Output, and Analog Input control with the CPU-XA/Ocelot and additional Adicon modules
Up to 5 infrared controllers, 5 X-10 controllers, and 5 Other controllers can be defined. Supports multi-zone IR
CD jukebox player control with playlists and autoprogramming
CD database with freedb support
Video database
Macros
Triggers
Timed Events
Full event and Web logging
Multi-X control allows a sequence of X-10 commands for control (access 256 macros from your palm pad by pressing 2 buttons, 64 macros from your keychain remote by pressing 3 buttons.)
Sunrise, Sunset, and Civil Twilight calculations
Socket Server for remote control of PowerHome from other applications and machines
Windows Messaging Interface for additional remote control capabilities
Windows Script Host Interface
Built-in WAP server for remote control via an internet enabled cell phone
Technical Overview:

Written in Sybase PowerBuilder version 9.0.1
All code and data maintained in Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Database system.
Custom DLL's written in Microsoft Visual C and assembly.
Voice Recognition and Text to Speech components licensed from Microsoft (SAPI 4.0a).
Remote Access Server Dialup control licensed from SocketWrench.
System Requirements:

Windows 95/98, Windows NT/2000/XP (CIR device requires Windows 95/98)
486 with 16 megs of RAM (Pentium with 32 megs of RAM recommended minimum for voice recognition)
Unused Serial port/s (CM11A interface, CM17A firecracker, MR26A Mouse remote, RedRat2, CPU-XA/Ocelot, Slink-e, W800, W800RF32, PowerLinc RS-232)
Unused Parallel port/s (CIR interface, Multi-CIR)
Unused USB port (RedRat3)
Sound card (Text to Speech and Voice Recognition)
Internet Connection (for remote Web Access and freedb support)

Cost = $70

the only thing I don't like about it is the interface, it doesn't look 'professional' and efficient (HouseBot being my top choice when it comes to interfaces), but it does seem to offer many many options, I have tried it in the past, will have to look at it again.

I've been using PH for almost as long as it's been out. Which interface does not look professional to you? The main app? The web interface? There have been great strides in improving the Control Center in recent releases.

The control center was my biggest issue, but that was a while ago, I will have to check it out again, it might be time to start a new topic on this, and see who uses this, before this thread goes too off-topic :huh:

back on topic, has anyone purchased the MCE plugin yet?

edit: new PowerHome topic: http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=874

Ok, I was hoping not to step on any toes, but I feel I have to post now.

I also received the letter from HS about their new pricing structure. My only complaint with it is a manditory minimum price for plug-ins. It's fine if they want to raise their commission on them, but to tell the developer that they have to charge $29.95 or higher is unfair to both the users and the developers.

I have three plug-ins and the ROC Outlook Interface is the highest priced at $24.95. The other two are under the $20 mark and would never sell at a higher price for what they are. So a $29.95 price is instant death for two of them selling.

Most likely I will stop development and support on them, or at least the Wavalizer and Randomizer plug-ins. Having a simple, catchy plug-in for a small cost seems to be a thing of the past.

There is nothing stopping you from marketing it yourself is there? (Hypothetically speaking, of course)

Back