OMNI Pro panel goes idle after some time

jamesbrew

Every few hours my snaplink app loses connection to the OMNI Pro panel. When checking the router it’s shown as idle?

In order to get the show back on the road, I have to power off the panel, restart it and all is well again for a few hours until it goes idle again.

IP address of the panel is within the range if the routers range and DHCP server is enabled and valid for 1000 days.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Can you run a continuous ping on the IP address of your Omni? I'd love to see what the replies look like when this outage occurs.

If you're on Windows, launch the command prompt via the start menu, and run ping -t x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP address.

We need to figure out if the panel is actually disappearing from the network, or if it's a software issue.

First, I would not make your DHCP lease time more than 24 hours. That isn't your problem. And the Omni Ethernet doesn't sleep, so that isn't your problem. Which phone and OS version are you using? Snaplink is pretty old, but still working good for me, except the password option doesn't work good anymore.

Can you run a continuous ping on the IP address of your Omni? I'd love to see what the replies look like when this outage occurs.

If you're on Windows, launch the command prompt via the start menu, and run ping -t x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP address.

We need to figure out if the panel is actually disappearing from the network, or if it's a software issue.
Hi, using an iMac, I pinged the panel and it’s timed out.
Thanks

First, I would not make your DHCP lease time more than 24 hours. That isn't your problem. And the Omni Ethernet doesn't sleep, so that isn't your problem. Which phone and OS version are you using? Snaplink is pretty old, but still working good for me, except the password option doesn't work good anymore.
iPhone 13, OS 13.2.

Thanks

In order to get the show back on the road, I have to power off the panel, restart it and all is well again for a few hours until it goes idle again.

The panel will not go idle. The panel's Ethernet IP is not doing DHCP. The Ethernet port on the panel can be problematic and can disconnect.

The OmniPro's Ethernet is a legacy design and promiscuous to the point of seeing all of the traffic on your home network. It's been documented that it becomes "overwhelmed" or "constipated" with an abundance of traffic and will quit working and affect the serial bus on the panel along with the clock on the panel.

Pencil draw and post Ethernet connection to switch (model / MFG) and router (model / MFG). What model and what revision of firmware is your OmniPro panel?

Do you have any other hardware or software which connects to the panel 24/7? IE: OmniTouch screens and or software?

How many devices are on your home network wired or wireless (24/7)?

Can you restart the panel and restart the ping and leave it like that until the ping fails and post the text here when it does fail.

Personally here have a few devices (consoles and software) connected to the panel on the home network 24/7. Android / Windows Snaplink works fine 24/7 here. That said only connect Windows / Android when needed inside the home or "on the road".

Last edited:
Back