onewireviewer can't find port

mtmtntop

i am just setting up a 1 wire network. the interface is through the com port via a 9 pin 232 to a rj45, which i just have plugged into a hobby boards temp/humidity solar board. bought the board complete. when i run 1wire viewer, it cannot find the port. windows says the com port (#1) is working. i rewired the 9 pin to just include the 2 wires needed and it did no good. I tested the cable and it shows all the connections are ok. I am not sure where to go next. what would cause the software to not find the port with everything plugged in? since this is my first try, i don't really know what to look at to find the error. thanks

What is the application you are using to validate the 1-wire port connection?
i used both of maxim'x options. one is default1wirenet.exe where there is an autodetect function that checks each port for each adapter type (lpt, com) and i also used the other one called onewireviewer. neither find the one wire network.

i followed the directions by not hooking up the 1wire network until after installation. even used maxim's auto repair function. nothing has helped.

It seems it must be a software issue. the port is reported as working, the cable is good, and i assume the temp/hum/solar sensor is ok. not much else but software left.

i'm ready to give up the serial port and use a usb adapter that hobby boards sells, except that requires me to buy both the adapter and a cable that changes from rj11 to rj45. but if it works, i guess it would be worth it.

What is the application you are using to validate the 1-wire port connection?
i used both of maxim'x options. one is default1wirenet.exe where there is an autodetect function that checks each port for each adapter type (lpt, com) and i also used the other one called onewireviewer. neither find the one wire network.

i followed the directions by not hooking up the 1wire network until after installation. even used maxim's auto repair function. nothing has helped.

It seems it must be a software issue. the port is reported as working, the cable is good, and i assume the temp/hum/solar sensor is ok. not much else but software left.

i'm ready to give up the serial port and use a usb adapter that hobby boards sells, except that requires me to buy both the adapter and a cable that changes from rj11 to rj45. but if it works, i guess it would be worth it.
Still no luck but here is what i have tried. I have one of those usb to rj 11 jacks, and i tried 2 things. first, wired a cable with rj11 on one end, rj45 on the other end, using just 2 wires, checked the cable , it was ok, plugged it into new temp/hum/solar board. still no network found using maxims's default 1 wire viewer software. so i thought it may be the board, and i built another plug, 2 wire and wired it directly to the side and center pin of a maxim 1822p temp sensor. ran the software again. although it runs slower, as if it is finding something, it eventually tells me there is no network. i know the usb port is working, as soon as i plug in the adpater, windows shows it is recognizing the port is being used. anyone have ideas?

Were you able to confirm that the appropriate drivers are installed? I read that they are supposed to come with the viewer application, but I installed them seperately and got it working. I'm using the USB adapter, though.

Here are the Windows drivers:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/s...oad_drivers.cfm

i did get this working after e mailing maxim. they gave me step by step instructions, and i abandoned the serial port connection and just went with usb. now it works, but i have another problem i am just about to start a thread on . can't figure out how to see solar data with hobby boards tem/hum/solar sensor. got 2 of the three. thanks for offering to help. seems like no one wants to help beginners, based on the number of reads and replies to this thread

WAF issues yesterday - historically wife is not too thrilled with my plumbing endeavors - 3 year old washer broke down. Amazing but was able to diagnose issue via the internet. It was one switch. BUT to get to the switch had to take the machine apart somewhat. I didn't know that the top of the machine comes right off exposing the guts. Found a local appliance supplier and the switch was only $30. Kind of tight in the laundry room though. The feel good was that the washing machine actually worked after putting it back together and no parts were left over.

I use the Maxim viewer to validate my connectivity. Specifically with my serially connected 9097's. One of my 9097's has two HB Combo Temperature, Humidity and solar sensors outside and inside currently has a Midon Design combo Temperature and humidity sensor. The outside sensors are in two locations - one being a Pagoda on the roof and the other one closer to the ground and adjacent / attached to the side of the house. I use the mcsXap 1-WIre application to read the values. What I noticed a few years back is that I cannot communicate serially with the devices on the 9097 network as I do for the Temp08/5 1-wire networks. The Maxim application though does provide enough information for diagnostics. I utilize power for the 9097 1-wire network therefore I keep it autonomous from the other networks. The Xap 1-wire application works well. I currently have two other instances of said application running on different than HA server boxes. I hard set the com port value in the Maxim viewer to see my devices. I have two 9097's each with different devices and utilizing two ports.

Other than validation with the Maxim viewer - BTW I am using Maxim Viewer Version 0.3.14.16 - I needed to update Java for this ap to work right. In the instructions on the read me file it states:

1-Wire Drivers Version 4.02 (32-bit)
====================================

This will install 1-Wire Drivers Version 4.02 on this computer. 1-Wire Drivers will enable 1-Wire applications to communicate with Maxim's 1-Wire and iButton products on 32-bit Microsoft Windows 2008, Vista, XP (Service pack 2 and higher).

Please take note the supported 32-bit Microsoft Platforms mentioned above. If legacy platform support is needed (such as Windows 98 or Windows 2000), please use a previous version of the 1-Wire Drivers, specifically, Version 4.01 beta 1 and below. Of particular note for this release is the switch to using Microsoft's generic userland device driver and API known as WinUSB. The DS2490.SYS is now considered legacy.

How are you planning to read / incorporate the 9097 1-wire values of temperature, humidity and sunlight? What program are you going to use?

WAF issues yesterday - historically wife is not too thrilled with my plumbing endeavors - 3 year old washer broke down. Amazing but was able to diagnose issue via the internet. It was one switch. BUT to get to the switch had to take the machine apart somewhat. I didn't know that the top of the machine comes right off exposing the guts. Found a local appliance supplier and the switch was only $30. Kind of tight in the laundry room though. The feel good was that the washing machine actually worked after putting it back together and no parts were left over.

I use the Maxim viewer to validate my connectivity. Specifically with my serially connected 9097's. One of my 9097's has two HB Combo Temperature, Humidity and solar sensors outside and inside currently has a Midon Design combo Temperature and humidity sensor. The outside sensors are in two locations - one being a Pagoda on the roof and the other one closer to the ground and adjacent / attached to the side of the house. I use the mcsXap 1-WIre application to read the values. What I noticed a few years back is that I cannot communicate serially with the devices on the 9097 network as I do for the Temp08/5 1-wire networks. The Maxim application though does provide enough information for diagnostics. I utilize power for the 9097 1-wire network therefore I keep it autonomous from the other networks. The Xap 1-wire application works well. I currently have two other instances of said application running on different than HA server boxes. I hard set the com port value in the Maxim viewer to see my devices. I have two 9097's each with different devices and utilizing two ports.

Other than validation with the Maxim viewer - BTW I am using Maxim Viewer Version 0.3.14.16 - I needed to update Java for this ap to work right. In the instructions on the read me file it states:

1-Wire Drivers Version 4.02 (32-bit)
====================================

This will install 1-Wire Drivers Version 4.02 on this computer. 1-Wire Drivers will enable 1-Wire applications to communicate with Maxim's 1-Wire and iButton products on 32-bit Microsoft Windows 2008, Vista, XP (Service pack 2 and higher).

Please take note the supported 32-bit Microsoft Platforms mentioned above. If legacy platform support is needed (such as Windows 98 or Windows 2000), please use a previous version of the 1-Wire Drivers, specifically, Version 4.01 beta 1 and below. Of particular note for this release is the switch to using Microsoft's generic userland device driver and API known as WinUSB. The DS2490.SYS is now considered legacy.

How are you planning to read / incorporate the 9097 1-wire values of temperature, humidity and sunlight? What program are you going to use?

hmm. well i kind of understand part of what you posted. i think my problem is that i am not (yet) a programmer person but figured i could learn it to do what i needed when i figure out what language i am going to need. i am looking at mr house but am having trouble getting that to install also. that said, i ended up scrapping the 9097. it just was not recognized by 1wire viewer (maxim) i don't think i had it plugged too early but switched to a usb trying to get something to work and i had a usb to rj11 adapter. my screen looks almost identical to the second one you have posted. i am not sure what the first screen you posted is from. maybe that will be what i have to learn to do.
and washing machines, i have been there, done that. it was nice having the brakes on the drum working again, which i fixed while i was in there the last time

I am using mcsXap 1-wire. You can run that program and set up the port in the application and see your temp/humidity and sun sensor. The program can be found here:

mcsXAP 1-Wire 9097

Yes today was plumbing day - putting a sink in the garage and just sweated the copper pipes for the shutoff valves under the sink.

I am using mcsXap 1-wire. You can run that program and set up the port in the application and see your temp/humidity and sun sensor. The program can be found here:

mcsXAP 1-Wire 9097

Yes today was plumbing day - putting a sink in the garage and just sweated the copper pipes for the shutoff valves under the sink.
i used your link and loaded the 1wirestatus. i don't see a place where i can have it check usb ports. is there a switch in there somewhere? thanks alot for your help with this. i like the looks of this app as i have a bunch of things i need to do that are related to the time of sunrise and sunset. i have a solar array that heats an indoor "endless pool" and the pool pump needs to turn on about 2 hrs after sunrise to take the heat generated. and the opposite at sunset.

. . .seems like no one wants to help beginners, based on the number of reads and replies to this thread
There is plenty of support for beginners on Cocoontech. However sometimes there is not a lot of depth on a particular topic and 1-Wire is (sort-of) one of them. It is possible that you might have had more notice if you had classified your post in the Hobby Boards forum.

Did you do a search for your device type? I've not used a USB 1-Wire adapter but I believe that the application "should" work with USB.

Found a debug statement showing it working with a USB device.

14/04/2007 19:12:46 | xapmcs1WireDebug DS9x9x Port USB3 Device = DS2408 DE0000000066E329 0
14/04/2007 19:12:46 | xapmcs1WireDebug GetDS9097Data for port USB3 0

. . .seems like no one wants to help beginners, based on the number of reads and replies to this thread

The older version of the DallasSemiconductor drivers where the One Wire API was based on the Microsoft Java VM did not care about the details of the adapter, while the latest ones do need to know the flavor of the adapter. The utility provided with the drivers to define the default port provides the abillity to search through the flavors of adapters that this utility is aware. Since you tried to use this utility without success it is not likely you will find other software (e.g. xapmcs1wire) that will be able to see the adapter you are using. It is not so much an issue of the COM vs. USB port, but of the chipset used within the adapter. If I was in your situation I would try a different adapter. There really is not much one can do with 1-wire if your system is not able to recognize the device that provides the electrical connection between the computer and the devices. If you have no success with a second one then you likely have not followed some instruction or precondition in the install of the software drivers or support libraries that these drivers depend upon. While there may some companies that provide end-user solutions, I know of only those that sell the hardware. That means that this technology for most is a DIY endeavour. Once you get past this starting gate then you will enter the real world of 1-wire where your skills in Black Magic will be taxed.

Back