PC Access and **INVALID** Serial Number

Russ55

Arrrgh!! I have been dealing with unbelievable frustration with PC Access. After purchasing the dealer version I couldn't get the thing to update. To make a long story short, I have spent hours on the phone with Leviton Technical Support over the last 2 weeks. I have been sent 3 separate e-mails for downloading an updated version of PC Access. I have cleansed my computer multiple times of past traces of PC Access. I have reinstalled the program at least a dozen times, as administrator, with "easy" install and "advanced" install - all with the same result - **INVALID** serial number, do not pass go, you cannot upgrade this software. I scoured my Windows registry and finally found a PC Access entry with "default" for the name and "value not set" for the data entry. Armed with this information after my 7th call to tech support, who was VERY apologetic AND sent me an e-mail of additional things to try (which I had already done), I finally got this response:

"We are aware of this, engineering stated there was something with an update via windows that does not allow information to be written to registry, he is working on a fix and will be resolved with new update for the software, will let you know when available."

I have been entirely absorbing information from this group until now - hopefully this information will save other newbies countless hours of frustration. I will post a resolution when (I almost typed "if") this gets resolved.

Happy New Year!!!

Very similar experience here, over the past 2 weeks: 3 emails with download/serial# instructions from Leviton support, each resulting in an INVALID result, despite multiple uninstall/install attempts each time. (It did seem strange that after uninstalling PCA, upon installing it again that it filled in the login info.)

I am very appreciative that you've gotten the full story, and have shared it here. Good to know that it's not just me, or my new PC.

I guess I too will be waiting for their next release.

A few things. Make sure you have the correct version password. A version 2 password wont operate version 3. Also, there are two versions of PC Access, and a password for one version won't operate the other. There is basic and dealer versions. Make sure the software matches the the correct version. A basic password won't unlock dealer version and vise versa.

From my experience if you screw up the password, and you only get one chance to enter it, you can install again without cleaning the registry or anything like that. BUT you should install it as an administrator and RUN it as an admin. (Right click, Run as Administrator)

Curious what OS is PCA being installed on?

After purchasing the dealer version I couldn't get the thing to update. To make a long story short, I have spent hours on the phone with Leviton Technical Support over the last 2 weeks.

Here primarily went to using PlayOnLinux with my Linux desktops / laptops.  I also utilize Oracle Wintel VBs (XP and W7 and W10).  I tried this a while ago with Wine and got it to work once.   I removed it and tried again and was unsuccessful.

To keep it simple here installed a copy of the PCA using PlayOnLinux.  Noticed that it did just ask for my name and serial number.

I did get an error trying to update it on PlayOnLinux. 

The PCA updater downloaded an xml file with all of the Leviton OmniPro updates and could not figure out the xml file.  I have not seen this on my other Wintel laptops or Windows server machine that I use for PCA via RDP.  I just looked for the link in the xml file and manually downloaded the update and installed it long math wise.

This is a bit mickey mouse.

I then updated it and all is fine with installation.  Note that this is different than in the past installation on XP or W7.

Odd to me that this newer installation did not require me to add a password.

Here is a picture as I have added it to my Linux laptop along with UPB Upstart.

pcaonlinux.jpg

I have googled the issue and see that there was / is an issue with how W7 / W10 deals with an XML file...download versus just reading it.

ano said:
A few things. Make sure you have the correct version password. A version 2 password wont operate version 3. Also, there are two versions of PC Access, and a password for one version won't operate the other. There is basic and dealer versions. Make sure the software matches the the correct version. A basic password won't unlock dealer version and vise versa.
Thanks ano. I've tried all of that without success. It installs ok and I can use the program (the password is not the issue) but I can't update it because my name and serial number has never been stored in the registry. If one has an older version of PC Access installed when the registry was being updated correctly you are all set. Even if you update it, since the new version doesn't do anything to the registry, you are still all set.

pete_c said:
Curious what OS is PCA being installed on?
Thanks Pete. This is on a Windows 10 desktop and laptop - same problem both times. Again, the program installs and seems to run but is never updatable because it looks like a pirated copy because nothing is ever written into Windows Registry. I enter the data during the install process but immediately after installation when running for the first time the splash screen (where it asks for your password) lists nothing under name and **INVALID** under serial number.

In 2009 there was a posting here about Vista 64 doing the same thing. A HAI rep posted the exact items to be pasted into the registry to fix the issue, but I don't know if the registry data is different now since it is 8 years later and a newer operating system. Hopefully Leviton will fix this soon or give us detailed registry values for us to jury-rig a fix.

@Russ,

Curious if Leviton has officially stated that PCA runs on Windows 10?

Windows 10 is very different from Windows 7. 

Much of the engine running is hidden from the user and it is difficult to modify (on purpose).

The update issue might be related to the way it sees the xml file and as stated above the issue of using an XML file has been reported relating to updates in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The update request button uses the serial number that you have registered.  No serial number seen will cause issues. (that whole registery thing).

The typical update just shuts down PCA and when running shows your name and license number....it is pretty transparent.

Guessing you are running the installation of PCA in administrative mode?

You could if you want just create an Oracle VB of Windows 7 or Windows XP or a Hyper-V VM on your new Windows 10 machine. 

I keep testing new versions of Windows 10 here on VB's....will give it a go installing PCA on most current version I have of Windows 10 (in administrative mode)...will install PCA and update it...

Pete, thanks again. I told the tech I was using Windows 10 and was told that PC Access was compatible with all Windows. Let me know if you have issues with W10 running virtually on your system - just make sure there are no prior registry entries for PCA. I’m going to give them a few days before playing with pulling up a virtual Windows 7 or XP - if I screw up something, the WAF of me messing with the computer she also uses will be in the toilet ;-).

OK tested it on most current Windows 10 (from Insider program). 

I made up 15 slides of installation that I can post.  But really it is basic and installs just like on XP and W7.

I had no issue installing and upgrading it and it works fine.

Note:

1 - installation was done via administrative mode here
2 - first run password request I put in nothing
3 - second password request is default password
4 - once running I change the default password to blank.

It asked if I wanted to update and I said yes.  It downloaded update, shut down PCA and installed update.
I did see my name, company and serial number when updating.

Guessing your issue might be relating to making sure you install PCA in administrative mode.  (just a guess).

pca1.jpg
pca2.jpg
pca6.jpg
pca7.jpg
pca8.jpg
pca10.jpg
pca11.jpg
pca12.jpg
pca15.jpg

I have cleansed my computer multiple times of past traces of PC Access. I have reinstalled the program at least a dozen times, as administrator, with "easy" install and "advanced" install - all with the same result - **INVALID** serial number, do not pass go, you cannot upgrade this software. I scoured my Windows registry and finally found a PC Access entry with "default" for the name and "value not set" for the data entry.

Referring to post #8 here tested installation on Windows 10 using the very first PCA V3 from around 2008 then updated it to current PCA version from 2017.  This is the PCA version I got via email when I upgraded from PCA 2 to PCA3.

BTW no modifications were done to the Windows 10 used above; even used my MS username and password and MS cloud...leaving everything at default.

Success!!  Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions.  As best I can tell this issue was only affecting those of us installing PC Access from a secure e-mail from Leviton with our serial number information and a download link to install / reinstall PC Access.  There was a glitch in this downloaded link that did not write information to the Windows registry so despite entering the information in the installation process it was never "remembered" and when the program started it had the **INVALID** serial number attached.

This does not affect anyone upgrading because they already had correct info store in the registry.

I was sent a temporary fix that worked on my PC and is now being sent in an e-mail format to anyone that has contacted Leviton regarding this issue.  I then received this note from Leviton tech support:

"With your verification and that of a few others, we’ve verified that our new version works and its going to be pushed to the registry site. So the emails that we’d send with the download link and serial number would contain the new file once that goes live."

I then received an e-mail labeled "PC Access 3 Registration Information" with the updated installation download.  (I did not test this link since I had successfully loaded the program on my 2 computers and I didn't want to push my luck.  Hopefully it will work as did the "test download" that I was sent earlier.)

mtgoat - you should get a new e-mail as described above - if not call Leviton Tech support (800-824-3005 ext 8) and they will resend a good link to you.

*****IMPORTANT!!!  One note is that the program must be "Installed as Administrator" (right click on file) AND it must be "Run as Administrator."  That means you have to right click the icon on the desktop and select "Run as Administrator" EACH and every time you run the program!!  (On my laptop I don't have multiple users and this isn't an issue.)

Time for a well earned drink!  Cheers!

Good news Russ55!!!

In my test W10 installation of PCA I ran it via the regular user just fine here when testing.

Here lately have switched to running Linux and do Windows a la carte (XP, W7 and W10) on the Linux computers.

I started to lose track of my configurations so I have PCA now running on a Windows Server box and utilize RDP from the Linux Laptops/desktops.

I also run Upstart and Homeseer Touch designer on the Windows server these days. 

Success here as well!

Thanks for all the tips Russ55 - didn't get the email from Leviton, so called them (following your advice), and Andrew was very helpful in sending link to the updated setup file, directions for changing extension, and access code.

I'm rolling on Win10 machine now - whew.

PC Access Version 3.17.0.843 (2/January/2018) Release Notes

- Updates for Windows 10 security changes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PC Access Version 3.17.0.838 (17/January/2017)

- Controller firmware 4.0b released:
    - Added support for flash memory module.  IMPORTANT: Firmware versions below 4.0 may not be installed in controllers with flash memory modules.
    - Improved contact ID reporting compatibility for account codes containing zeroes.
    - Improved contact ID reporting compatibility when the checksum value is zero.

- Added support for Omni firmware 4.0.

- OmniTouch 7 firmware version 1.15 (99A00-1/2) released:
    - Fixed limitation of four OT7s displaying video preview for 2N door stations
    - Added separate volume control for ring volume in settings page
    - Review trouble conditions are displayed for Omni
    - Fixed wake lock issue

- Enhanced IP Camera Support with built in support for over 250 new camera models.

- Added support Omni Notifier firmware 2.0 that allows E-Mails to be sent using My Leviton Cloud services.  This eliminates compatibility issues with some SMTP servers. See Knowledge Base article DOC-4920 for more information: http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-4920

Back