PCS MiLightStyle Anybody using it?

That's unfortunate, but pretty expected that you ended up with the same conclusion. Of course you could test it with any other serial PIM's you have - they should all be compatible... but I understand giving up on it. Mine has been relegated to being my programming PIM, but it's even slower and less reliable than a permanently connected serial one.

What surprises me most about the MiLightStyle's lack of info is that all of the required information and mappings are obviously in UpStart - I think it's complete BS that nobody can get them. Maybe the people at PCS need to learn some hard lessons in leadership, like one of my favorite Steve Jobs quotes. The only people that failed here are PCS.

Yeah I am starting to wonder what the real deal is with PCS on this. The fact they haven't completed the instruction manual can't be blamed on anyone but themselves.

I gave away all of my serial PIM's because I never used them anymore. I can and should buy one just to have.

WebMountain didn't do anything wrong but the product doesn't work (it's a isolated unit I am sure).

I wish PCS would chime in and provide some facts in this thread. The MiLightstyle has so much potential it's a shame they don't run with it.

Beyond that, PCS is the maker of UPB - yet they're a friggin' disaster when it comes to promoting the technology and moving it forward. From the looks of things, they'll be the detriment of UPB and any company that has chosen to support UPB - including Simply-Automated, Web Mountain, etc... If they don't have the leadership to run their own company, they should release the license and get the hell out of the way.

It pisses me off because they own the technology; yet they're the ones holding it back.

Well I spent more time trying to get the RUC-01 to work and even had a friend come over and start from scratch. It just does not work so I got a bad unit I guess.

Another month has past and still no improvements on the MiLightstyle. No documentation, no addition of other mfg devices, nothing heard from them. I am not sure they are even supporting it anymore.

Seriously considering changing to Zwave

I really like my RUC.
I like the IP addressable serial port so I don;t have to drag out my spare PIM and cable every time I need to make a change or want to monitor the UPB traffic.

One of the things I use the RUC-1 for is individual load control of a US22-40. The Omni has no idea what a US22-40 is, so it treats it as a single switch.
With the RUC I can use the triggers function to individually control loads on the 22-40.
I have my porch lights and driveway lights on a 22-40. When there is an alarm, and all lights come on, and I want to blink the driveway. I can't do this with the Omni. And the 22-40 firmware does not allow blinking via a link. The only way to do this is with the RUC.

I can also save Omni programming lines by porting over common daily tasks, like dawn/dusk lighting.
Also it has a random function the Omni does not have which is handy for vacation lighting setups.

Overall I like the RUC.
There has already been one firmware update that added a lot. Longer input lines for the UPB extended codes, multiple pages on the Chumby App, etc.

Well I spent more time trying to get the RUC-01 to work and even had a friend come over and start from scratch. It just does not work so I got a bad unit I guess.

Another month has past and still no improvements on the MiLightstyle. No documentation, no addition of other mfg devices, nothing heard from them. I am not sure they are even supporting it anymore.

Seriously considering changing to Zwave

I received an email from Web Mountain that said they found an issue that was causing the RUC-01 not to work for me. Apparently some other customers had the same problem and once WM dug into it they found something to be a problem that I had also mentioned earlier. Since I was the only person at the time with the problem they didnt think what I noted was the issue but it turns out it is for "some" installations. I cant blame them for not realizing it earlier as it is a strange issue but they were nice enough to let me know once they did find it. I gave up long ago with this prouduct and its sitting in the (excuse the expression) junk pile but at least I know I was not crazy.

Still wish PCS would fix their Firmware problems and complete the Milightstyle. Seems to be no progress since early last year.

Well, I hope to be using the PCS Mi LightStyle next weekend. I ordered back in December, and it is supposed to ship this week. I have some concerns after reading this thread, but maybe everything has finally come together.

Long time HomeVision user, but even though there is a way to incorporate UPB, it is a bit cumbersome. To complicate my life, I also picked up a Vera2 over a year ago to go along with a bunch of Z-Wave modules I picked up cheap when Radio Shack closed them out. The Z-Wave is mostly in my gameroom to power up pinball machines, but I did pick up a Yale deadbolt, and have a couple of plug in lamps in the living room, with a couple of the closeout Monster (Leviton) wall controllers.

I converted about half my lighting to UPB a number of years ago (mostly PCS, but a few SA items too). This stuff has been rock solid, with only an occasional oddity. I just received an order with a bunch of HAI UPB items, but was disappointed that the VLE in UPStart did not work with these. This got me wondering if VLE does not work with these HAI units, will they work with Mi LightStyle? Based on this thread and the missing VLE support, I have strong doubts.

So, I will ask PCS about this. I hope the HAI stuff will be supported, and SA too. The cost differential to exchange my order for PCS stuff is pretty high...about 40% more.

I will report back with any information if anyone is still following this thread.

Matt

I have not powered up the Milightstyle since sometime late last year. Has PCS updated the firmware yet to work with other mfg devices? Not in the mood to spend hours setting it up and updating it again to find they still havent done it.

Thanks

Nothing has been done, or from my persistant inquiries, will be done. I can no longer support this product either personally or professionally.

Robert

Nothing has been done, or from my persistant inquiries, will be done. I can no longer support this product either personally or professionally.

Robert

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected long ago that they would not be supporting the product well. Wasted my money on this.

I blame both PCS and Universal Devices. They sold us a Ferrari in hardware and filled it with a quart of unleaded regular gasoline.

I blame both PCS and Universal Devices. They sold us a Ferrari in hardware and filled it with a quart of unleaded regular gasoline.

I am only guessing but its possible PCS did not include other mfg devices so that they would get people to buy their products and not the competition. I always felt UDI was a very customer oriented company. Also we dont know the arrangement between UDI and PCS. Maybe PCS is not paying UDI to work on it?

Who knows but it does seem obvious that they have not supported it at all. Not even a complete instruction manual in almost a year and a half.

Since this thread is still kicking, I'll mention that Web Mountain contaced me about this thread back in November, as did the developer of their iOS app - with talk of improvements; unfortunately 4 months have passed and I haven't seen/heard anything since. This thread prompted me to reach out to them to see if they're doing anything.

I really like my UPB setup - but it sure seems like a lot of other technologies are advancing at a faster pace! It's a shame, really.

Since this thread is still kicking, I'll mention that Web Mountain contaced me about this thread back in November, as did the developer of their iOS app - with talk of improvements; unfortunately 4 months have passed and I haven't seen/heard anything since. This thread prompted me to reach out to them to see if they're doing anything.

I really like my UPB setup - but it sure seems like a lot of other technologies are advancing at a faster pace! It's a shame, really.

The only major thing lacking is a really good controller. Homeseer works but its not fully on top of device status. I agree that Zwave is growing at leaps and bounds and is much more reliable than other RF type devices (X-10 and Insteon) but for a PLC device UPB is very robust. Also the manufacturers of Zwave and UPB are keeping the quality up where X-10 and INsteon did not.

I agree with Digger. UPB has worked very reliably in my installations. It is the controller that is the weak link.

Back