Problem with H/T/S sensor

joepeters

Hi all,

I purchased a Humidity/Temp/Solar sensor kit along with a six-channel hub from Hobby Boards. I've had the hub working with a couple of DS18S20s and owfs with no problems. But no luck with the HTS board. The board is showing up just fine in owhttpd, but the sensor values are out of whack:
  • humidity: NAN
  • temperature: 0
  • HIH4000 / humidity: NAN
  • HTM1735 / humidity: -41.98
This is with the parasite jumper on the sensor open. If I jump it (and give it 12v from the hub), then the sensor board doesn't show up at all.

I'm a newbie with the solder iron, so I wouldn't have been surprised if I screwed up. I actually bought two boards, so I assembled the second board, taking extra care to test each connection.. But I got the exact same behavior from the second board.

The fact that it disappears from owfs when I close the parasite jumper tells me that something is screwy with the power supply.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

Make sure that you have the humidity sensor installed in the correct orientation.

For the power supply issues make sure that you don't have any solder bridges on the voltage regulator.

If you can take some pictures of the units I may be able to notice a problem.

Eric

Eric, thanks. I did confirm that the humidity sensor is placed correctly, according to the pic and description on the site. I'll double-check the regulator, though I'm pretty sure there are no bridges. I'll send some pictures along.

...and here it is:
boardc.jpg

It all looks pretty good.

One thing you can check is make sure that the ground tab on the voltage regulator is not shorted out to either of the outside pins. There was a slight routing issue on the 3.1 revision of the board that has some traces going under the voltage regulator which if you hold the heat on the voltage regulator too long when you are soldering can cause a short.

Eric

No luck -- I couldn't find any shorts. I must have screwed something else up, so I think I'll buy your assembled board, then compare that against mine to see if anything is obviously wrong. Best case, I'll end up with two (or three) working boards.

I have some other stuff to buy anyway ;)

Thanks for your help!

Back