recommended garage heat detector - Temp? without rate of rise?

JimS

Want to add a heat detector in the garage and am wondering if I should avoid rate of rise so temp swings don't set it off - for example if I pull in with a warm car in cold weather or open the door to the house.  And What about using 194 degree to lessen chance of false triggering?

Considered ones near the wood stove and in the attic too.  Will probably just do the attic since there is a smoke alarm across the room from the wood stove.  Ibviously need 194 temp in the attic.

Seems like a lot of heat detectors also have rate of rise.  I did find Edwards 283/284 models that don't.  Any other recommended models?

It looks like I could put this on the same zone as 4 wire smokes.  Any complications if I put on a separate zone?  Will both zones trigger the sounders in the smokes via the reversing relay on the smoke zone?

Rate of rise heat detectors require a increase in temperature of 15 degrees within one minute or the rated high temperature. Typically the only place in a house that changes temperature that fast is close proximity to a hot oven when the door opens. They do respond faster to fires than fixed and cover more square feet.

I installed System Sensor 5602 heat detectors (194* with RoR) in my garage and attic a couple years ago.  No problems, and I feel better for having them after reading about a fire caused by a lightning strike and how quickly it engulfed the attic.

newalarm said:
Why not put a smoke in the attic with RoR?

If the attic is inside the insulated envelope that is OK.  But in a typical attic that is vented to the outside, issues with condensation may cause false alarms with a smoke detector.  Personally, I have a combo smoke/heat in my attic, but it is insulated.

Also, the unconditioned spaces are not within the operational spec of the detectors...

Heat detectors should be chosen to be 15 degrees above ambient, however in the case of an attic, it should be a 194 irregardless.

Depends on if fixed or ROR and really what sort of range, but 135 degree is the temp of the thermal. If you have one of those mini-restaurant jobbers, I would stay further back than from a more traditional range.

Looking at my own house, I'm about 8' from the cooktop.

Back