Russound Question

english_1969

Hello,

I am getting ready to do a fairly large rennovation to my home. As part of this, I am going to install a whole-house system.

So far, it seems like either the Russound CAV6 or CAM6 are the best choices. However, deciding between these hasn't been easy. I have a couple of thoughts and questions that perhaps someone can help me with.

1) If I am not going to be using video, why would I chose the CAV?

2) The CAM has a tuner (XM or AM/FM)...this seems valuable. Is it not?

3) I am going to have 12 zones so I am planning on getting 2 of these. Are there any differences in the CAM and CAV in a linked system? I gathered you could interchange them if desired.

4) the CAV has 4 ABUS ports. Does this mean I can have 4 more zones with diminished functionality? (i.e. not UNO keypads, but a source and volume selector). I would guess I would need additional amplification for these zones?!?

5) When linking any of these together, how seemless is it (if possible) to select sources across the units. I am assuming that if you link 2 of these together, you now have 12 sources that can be seemlessly selected from any of the 12 zones.

6) If I were to get a CAM6.6 with the AM/FM tuner and a CAM6.6 with an XM tuner and link them, I assume that all tuners would be functional as souces, meaning, I would have 2 sources (AM/FM,XM) available to any of the 12 zones.

I think that's about it.

Thanks for any help and advice.

I would go with the Cav6.6. You can always use a matrix switcher to use a central XM and central FM to distribute via the Cav6.6
You can use software like MainLobby to do sophisticated switching of a matrix switcher and a Cav6.6

DavidL said:
I would go with the Cav6.6. You can always use a matrix switcher to use a central XM and central FM to distribute via the Cav6.6
You can use software like MainLobby to do sophisticated switching of a matrix switcher and a Cav6.6
Curious why the Cav 6.6 if no video distribution is necessary!

Are you going to want XM? If so, you may want to consider the CAM as otherwise an external XM tuner like the XRt12 will be $150-$200, more than wiping out any cost savings.

I don't know about the answer to the ABUS question, though.

But, to add fuel to the other side of the equation, there's a variety of software packages you can use as a front-end that already have drivers for the CAV6. MainLobby is one, CQC is another. I don't think either of them have drivers for the CAM [yet]. However, if that's a future thought and not an immediate need, current driver support may not be an issue.

4) the CAV has 4 ABUS ports. Does this mean I can have 4 more zones with diminished functionality? (i.e. not UNO keypads, but a source and volume selector). I would guess I would need additional amplification for these zones?!?

You should be able to tell the exact level of functionality by looking at the compatible abus keypads. What you described sounds right. I have seen implementations where there is no source selection so check your model before you buy if this is a concern.

On amplification, ABUS handles that in the keypad so you don't need another amplifier (the amp is in the keypad itself).

Yes and No, Russound refers to them as sub-zones. The A-BUS support is on zones 1-4. As I remember it, the example they gave in training was the master bathroom might have an A-bus pad which is on the Master Bedroom Zone. You select the source in the Master Bedroom KP and the A-BUS pad in the bathroom would have independent Power and Volume control. One of the other attendees mentioned there is a way to program the A-BUS pad toggle blindly through the sources and the Russound rep agreed but didn't want to get into it.

As far as the CAV vs the CAM. The CAV also has Stereo-sensing audio inputs for power management. I do not believe the CAM does this. The CAV also has a "7th Source" on the front which is nice for a temporary connection like an MP3 player. This source does not however have a programming layer. If these are options you can live without, I would go with the CAM.

5) When linking any of these together, how seemless is it (if possible) to select sources across the units. I am assuming that if you link 2 of these together, you now have 12 sources that can be seemlessly selected from any of the 12 zones.

(Not True: my bad) ;)
Once connected, they operate as 1 virtual unit and all sources will be available in all zones.

6) If I were to get a CAM6.6 with the AM/FM tuner and a CAM6.6 with an XM tuner and link them, I assume that all tuners would be functional as souces, meaning, I would have 2 sources (AM/FM,XM) available to any of the 12 zones.

This is the way I would go. Make sure this will work before you order. The internal tuners are source number one. There is a switch on the unit to make source 1 an external input if for example XM were to go away (not that I think it will). You could then purchase a ST2S (SIRIUS tuner) or whatever you wanted.

Thanks for the input!

The ABus connection sounds like something I might be able to use. The master bedroom /bathroom sounds like a great example of this.

I could also use this feature in my main floor area because my kitchen, family, living and dining rooms are all open to each other. I was only planning to have 1 zone for this area, but with speakers in each of the areas. In this case, an ABus pad could be used with say the dining and living room for local on/off/vol control.

It sounds like the CAV is support more by the control software market, Homeseer, mainlobby, CQC.

I wonder if you have a CAV and add a CAM as a secondary unit, would the plug-ins for the home control software work with the CAV as one large virtual unit?

Hello,

I am getting ready to do a fairly large rennovation to my home. As part of this, I am going to install a whole-house system.

So far, it seems like either the Russound CAV6 or CAM6 are the best choices. However, deciding between these hasn't been easy. I have a couple of thoughts and questions that perhaps someone can help me with.

Opie has already provided some good feedback, here's some additional information to help you make your decision:

1) If I am not going to be using video, why would I chose the CAV?

The CAV6.6 provides lots more flexibility. A-Bus sub-zones on the first 4 zones have already been mentioned along with the 7th front panel input. The CAV6.6 also provides audio/video paging which is important if you'd like to connect the audio paging to a phone system or even an automation controller that can speak announcements using built-in vocabulary like the Elk M1 or TTS from a PC based system.

If you don't have a need for the audio paging, the video page can be used to display a door camera on TV's when someone rings the doorbell. The CAV & CAM have mute features that can mute the audio when the doorbell or phone rings if connected properly.

The CAV6.6 also provides pass-through line-level outputs for all the sources which is nice if you place the CAV units near your home theature receiver as the sources can be easily shared between both using the pass through. The CAV6.6 also provides variable line-level outs on each zone where the CAM only provides it on the first two.

english_1969 said:
2) The CAM has a tuner (XM or AM/FM)...this seems valuable. Is it not?

The internal tuner is valuable, but if you decide to go with the CAV6.6, and external tuner can be used to provide both AM/FM & XM or Sirius. If you think you may like to have both the AM/FM & Satellite radio, the external tuner may be a better choice as it can provide both.

english_1969 said:
3) I am going to have 12 zones so I am planning on getting 2 of these. Are there any differences in the CAM and CAV in a linked system? I gathered you could interchange them if desired.

They both connect in the same fashion using the RNET protocol over CAT5 patch cable... no difference in functionality here. You can connect CAV & CAM units to expand to more zones.

english_1969 said:

Yes, you can add A-Bus sub zones on the first 4 zones of the CAV6.6. You do this by conencting an A-Bus power supply and then A-Bus keypads that provide the amplification for the speakers. From the A-Bus keypad, you can turn the sub zone on/off, alter the volume, control sources via IR remote, and toggle between the first 4 sources connected the the CAV6.6. You can listen to the 5 & 6 sources on the A-Bus sub zone, but you have to select them from the Uno keypad on the main zone. If you change sources using the A-bus keypad, the source in the main zone will change as well.

A-Bus can be expanded even further by connecting external A-Bus hubs which will allow you to coonect up to 4 A-Bus sub zones onto each of the first 4 zones of the CAV6.6. As opie mentioned, A-Bus sub zones are a great way to get sound into a bath which is attached to a bedroom, a powder room, laundry room , etc.

english_1969 said:

Sorry, this is incorrect... you can connect up to 6 CAV or CAM units for 36 zones of audio, but the system is still limited to the 6 sources connected to the 1st unit.

english_1969 said:

I don't think the tuner in the second CAM would be usable as mentioned above. The CAM can be ordered without a tuner, so if you decide to go with the CAM, the second unit could be ordered without tuner, but you'd only have AM/FM or XM.

I'll find out for sure about using the tuner in a second CAM unit...

*I'd recommend giving some thought about the number of actual "Zones" that you really require. You may indeed have 12 rooms that you want music in, but are they really 12 separate zones? If you have an open floor plan (ex. kitchen, dining room, living room), you'll probably want this to be a single zone so they all play the same source at the same time. If they aren't on the same zone, you'll need to go to the keypad in each room when changing sources to keep them all playing the same source.

You may find a better solution to be the CAV6.6 with some A-Bus subzones and then external amps to power additonal speakers in large zones comprised of several rooms like the example above. In this case, you can also add additional keypads using the keypad splitter which will still give you control in each room all on a single zone.

By doing this you'll probably spend about the same as purchasing two CAV/CAM units but will end up with a system that functions more desireably than having 12 independant zones?

Cheers,
Paul

english & BSR...

I've been slowly typing the above reply for the last hour while doing other things, looks like a couple posts came in while I was typing!

Looks like I'm on-track with some of the info that was provided... hopefully the previous post will answer some questions.

We've been installing quite a few of these and have figured out most of the tricks. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Paul

As far as zones go, here is what I am thinking as the maximum possible:

1 Main area - kitchen, breakfast, dining, family, living --- maybe loft as it also is open to these from above. Would have keypad in kitchen and loft.
2 Back deck/patio
3 Wife's office
4 my office
5 guest bedroom
6 Garage/Driveway/bball court
7 master bedroom
8 master bath (maybe reconsider now with ABus)
9 playroom
10 child bedroom 1
11 child bedroom 2
12 exercise room
(13) child shower/bath (again maybe Abus)

Out of curiosity, when hooking 2 or more of these together, how are the source signals routed to the 2nd (and on) units? Is that why the CAV has the line-level outs for each source? I can't imagine the source signals being routed throught the interlink.

english_1969 said:
Out of curiosity, when hooking 2 or more of these together, how are the source signals routed to the 2nd (and on) units? Is that why the CAV has the line-level outs for each source? I can't imagine the source signals being routed throught the interlink.
Yes,

That's correct... the source audio is connected between units using the source Line-in & Line-out with RCA cables.

The control signal is provided over th RNET protocol wire...

Paul

Somebody mentioned earlier that the CAV has 'line level pass throughs' whereas the CAM does not. Since it seems these passthroughs is what one would use to diasychain (passhtough output from one to the input on the other, hence the maximum is always 6 sources) how could you daisychain a CAM?

Can a CAM be daisy-chained off a CAV unit?

Back