Smarthome/INSTEON?

jcm

New Member
I'm new to this forum. Trying to get feedback on Smarthome/INSTEON products before I make any purchases, etc. Among other things, I'm looking into their Keypad Linc. Any experience with that, opinions to share, etc.? Please help.
Thanks.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
Welcome jcm! I don't have any strong opinons about INSTEON (though I am thinking of founding a religion based on it), but I think a few people already have the new keypads and can hopefully give you some valuable feedback.

In other words, you've come to the right place!
 

pavlov70

Member
I've been extremely happy with Insteon in general and the KeypadLincs in particular. IMO the biggest weakness in the KL's is that there is no software to program them yet. You have to program each button manually. Doesn't sound bad until you have 4-5 devices controlling the same light. Other then that, they're great. They look and feel very high quality.
 

fitzpatri8

Active Member
pavlov70 said:
I've been extremely happy with Insteon in general and the KeypadLincs in particular. IMO the biggest weakness in the KL's is that there is no software to program them yet. You have to program each button manually. Doesn't sound bad until you have 4-5 devices controlling the same light. Other then that, they're great. They look and feel very high quality.
Insteon is nice for a lot of reasons. I like the speed and reliability of commands, that every device I add improves my Insteon PLC network, that plug-in Signalincs offer signal redundancy and bridge electrical phases, and that all the devices so far look nice and feel solid, the way quality electronics should. The wall switches don't buzz when you press them.

That said, my Kepadlinc is proving a bit of a challenge. Being able to control eight groups of devices from one unit is very seductive, and I'm very tempted to install one at every bedside, in the entry and by the back door to control devices house-wide. Programming is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, depending on how many things you want a single button to do. (It will be nice when software is available to remotely link and program devices, but the manual process does work without bringing in a computer or extra software for now.)

The trouble is, unlike the Switchlincs, they don't look at all like people expect a traditional lightswitch to look. That has proven a little intimidating to one guest already, who preferred to navigate in the dark rather than accidentally push the wrong button. I might have to put a Switchlinc and a Kepadlinc side-by-side to keep the whole system compatible with old-fashioned guests!

Tom
 

Rupp

Senior Member
pavlov70 said:
IMO the biggest weakness in the KL's is that there is no software to program them yet.
Are they ever going to develop software to program these. If so that would make these the ultimate switches.
 

dwarf

Member
I have had great success with insteon (22 switches and 3 keypads....and counting).

I am waiting on software support and software programming of keypads and switches. I saw a thread a while back about being able to download code to the switches in the future. :blink:
 

pavlov70

Member
Rupp said:
pavlov70 said:
IMO the biggest weakness in the KL's is that there is no software to program them yet.
Are they ever going to develop software to program these. If so that would make these the ultimate switches.
Yep, the software is in the works and is supposed to be out by the end of the year.
 

PeterW

Active Member
fitzpatri8 said:
The trouble is, unlike the Switchlincs, they don't look at all like people expect a traditional lightswitch to look. That has proven a little intimidating to one guest already, who preferred to navigate in the dark rather than accidentally push the wrong button. I might have to put a Switchlinc and a Kepadlinc side-by-side to keep the whole system compatible with old-fashioned guests!
Hah! I've done that too. I converted my KPL's to 8-button mode and installed them alongside a regular switchlinc. It was the excuse I needed to rip out the 1-gang J-boxes and replace them with retrofit doubles. It works really well. Just don't forget to cap the load wire if it isn't driving a load.

I love the improved KPLv2 over the v1 for the most part, but I'm not comfortable with it as the primary on/off switch for a room. My wife likes them as a status report of lights on in the house, not as something that you use automatically on entering a room and only paying a slight bit of attention. Switchlinc's don't require as much attention as a KPL does. Nor does it require as much of a firm push on the buttons.

But that's personal preference.

BTW: has anybody noticed backlight flickering on the keypads when they are transmitting?
 
Top