Sneak preview of the Elk M1 touch screen software

I just tried from work, and have no problems. Can you try from a different computer? Elk should have these files on their site very soon.

Scrambled said:
Electron-- I can not seem to get the download of the RP program to start.

Steve
Electron - I too am unable to get the download to start. I have tried on several different computers.

What error are you getting? Is it possible you have some software which blocks .exe downloads?

Neat stuff! Any comments on how it will work with those of us using your HS script or the plug-in? Until now I hadn't seen a need for the ethernet module, but this may be the kicker in the future.

I used this free software with the reflector program, so my script would work over IP (VBS just isn't good enough to support IP). Works great. The plugin supports IP, so you wouldn't have to go as crazy.

Hi,

I just recently purchased an M1G and am working on setting everything up.
This message board has been of great help to me.

ElkRM shows great promise for me.
I do not have the ethernet board so I am using the reflector program. It looks like the ElkRM connects ok to the reflector program but I get disconnected after 5 minutes. That could be a network issue though. I see that Lighting, Tasks, Outputs and Custom screens do not have any data in them. Is this due to the fact that it is a demo version or is there some other communications problem?

Any idea if the reflector program can be used with ElkRP, or do I need to also use the hw_vsp free software you indicated in the previous post to create a virtual serial port and then have ElkRP connect through that?

Thanks for the update on the software and any help you can give.
Andrew

Hi Andrew, welcome to CocoonTech!

The demo has some restrictions, but you should be able to see some devices. Did you use the Sync function? Also, in RP, did you set the "Show" flag for the lights/outputs?

If you want to use ElkRP over IP, without having the ethernet interface, you will indeed have to create that virtual serial port (hw_vsp). I tested it, and it works great, just keep in mind that when connected with RP, using IP, all other communications will be suspended until RP has been disconnected.

Thanks for the tips.

My issue was not using the Sync function. The next problem is when I do the Sync it never fully completes the sync. I get the following error, "Control did not respond, verify comm settings are correct". Even though the sync did not fully complete I can see a couple of my lighting controls and can adjust them. I tried connecting ElkRM to Reflector from the local PC as well as from another one on the network. I also tried 2 different ports. All had the same error when I tried to Sync.

Another issue I have is with the fonts/icons. On my Windows display settings I have the Display DPI set to Large size, 120 DPI. This causes text in the ElkRM program to be clipped or wrapped. I have this same problem with ElkRP too.

Interestingly I tried connecting ElkRP directly to reflector by setting System URL/IP on the Account Details page of ElkRP and the ElkRP was able to connect to the panel over the network. I was able to get the status but was unable to edit or add a new rule. I got a similar communications error message as with ElkRM.

Thanks.
Andrew

Chris/David,

If you're watching this, here's just a couple of simple suggestions/observations so far...

1. Limit the demo in another way (maybe time based) instead of limiting the data displayed. Hard to get a real feel for the look when only 1 item displays.

2. On the security screen, allow arming without code, like the keypad

3. My F6 doesn't seem to work in RM - supposed to open/close the garage door

Thanks to all for the good input!

Steve,

The biggest reason for limiting functionality rather then time duration is I am trying to stay out of the system registry. If I base the program on time duration, I have to store the date/time of when you installed the software somewhere on the computer (registry etc...). I actually carry a thumb drive that has the ElkRM software installed on it, if I am at a remote location, I can plug the thumb drive in and execute the program off of the drive. I try not to "clutter" up the computer with registry settings for this reason. Any feedback is welcome!

The "DEMO" version limits the following items:

STATUS screen: You can only see one zone
SECURITY screen: Only the numeric keys work
LIGHTING screen: You can only see on light
CLIMATE screen: You can see thermostats, but you can't control them.
TASKS screen: You can only see one task
OUTPUTS screen: You can only see one output
CUSTOM screen: You can only see one custom

Note to all: Allot of the CocoonTech readers are using the "Reflector" program to redirect a network connection out of the serial port. The next release of ElkRM will have the serial port functionality built in. When the new release comes out, the computer’s .NET Framework will have to be updated to version 2.0, which was just released in late October. I have heard requests of being able to link web cameras and websites from the software. Any input/ideas on this functionality will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Hey Electron,

Just trying this elkrm software out on my PDA but I fear it might be too old. I'm only running Windows CE 4.2 and I can't seem to get the program to run (maybe the ARM processor too).

Can you confirm your pda model and OS so that I can compare?

I guess it might be time to upgrade...

Thanks!

Back