Troubleshooting Zone Problems

I installed a GE NX-4 system over the weekend in our desert cabin. After programming, I get three short beeps which the keypad manual describes as "... trying to arm with the READY light off if 'force arming' has not been selected." (NX-1300E keypad). The service light is illuminated, Zone lights flash with zone 2 and 4 lights pulsing. Upon entering the service menu with [*] - 2, number 5 is illuminated ("Zone Trouble"). Pressing "5" illuminates zone 2 and 4 as the ones having trouble.

Zone 1 is the doors, using the same sensors that are in use on Zone 2 (the windows), both wired in series. As I was installing, I used a continuity tester to make sure that when all the windows are closed, there is continuity. Open any window, and the continuity is broken. Zone 2 has 4 sensors compared to the 2 sensors on Zone 1. Neither zone has the EOL resistor installed (installing it at the panel as a test didn't make a difference).

Zone 3 and 4 have a single sensor wired to them, with the magnet taped to them, for testing. Zone 3 is OK, but zone 4 is not.

I'm thinking the problem is probably in programming the control panel. I have Zones 1 and 3 as zone type "3", with the "Entry/Exit Delay 1" feature. Zone 2 and 4 are programmed as zone type 5 "Interior Follower with Auto-Bypass Enabled". While I didn't swap out the wires, I did try programming Zone 2 and 4 as type "3", but they still report errors.

Question 1: How do I troubleshoot this? Is testing ohms resistance a better way than a continuity test to test the circuit?

Question 2: I have a 180ma stobe connected to AUX1 on the NX-4 programmed to activate on "Any Siren" (#7 on the table), with a zero in the segment 2 field of location 47 (which should make the output follow the event). Because of the zone issue above, I'm not able to trip the normal alarm, but the siren tamper function does work. When I disconnect the siren's common, the keypad squeals and upon reconnecting, the siren goes off. The strobe does not. I'm hoping that perhaps "any siren" means "any siren except the tamper feature". I won't know until I solve the zone problems, but any insight you can give would be appreciated.

Question 3: Where do you hook up the motion sensor positive lead? The schematic advises to connect the common to COM, but gives no advice on the positive power lead. Can I use the POS terminal (labeled for the keypad), or should I connect it to one of the AC Input terminals?

I'm not totally following your post but I would separate the wiring/sensors from the panel when trying to troubleshoot.

First the wiring and sensors. Read my "How to Install a Home Security System" How-To for checking that.

I'm not familiar with an NX-4 but, since you stated you are using no EOL's did you check the appropriate box (for NO EOL or defeat EOL or something like that) in the DL-900 software for those zones? What happens if you just short zone(s) with a piece of wire at the panel (you stated you tested the sensors, but just use a wire for testing zones)? You may want to just program the zones with a plain standard type until you get everything working, then experiment with other type zones.

For motions and glass breaks you need 12 volts DC. There should be some sort of screw/terminal output for the plus 12 volt side.

Just use a plain siren and forget the strobe until you get all the above working.

I'm not totally following your post but I would separate the wiring/sensors from the panel when trying to troubleshoot.

First the wiring and sensors. Read my "How to Install a Home Security System" How-To for checking that.

I'm not familiar with an NX-4 but, since you stated you are using no EOL's did you check the appropriate box (for NO EOL or defeat EOL or something like that) in the DL-900 software for those zones? What happens if you just short zone(s) with a piece of wire at the panel (you stated you tested the sensors, but just use a wire for testing zones)? You may want to just program the zones with a plain standard type until you get everything working, then experiment with other type zones.

For motions and glass breaks you need 12 volts DC. There should be some sort of screw/terminal output for the plus 12 volt side.

Just use a plain siren and forget the strobe until you get all the above working.

Thanks ... the NX-4 has a keypad for programming and doesn't use the DL-900 software. Its not hard to do, but you have to pay attention to "where you are" when programming multiple segments in each "Location". I did find the programming location for "EOL Resistor Defeat" for each zone in the manual, so I'll try that. I did try zone 2 jumpered with just a wire, but had the same issue; it could be that its looking for the load the resistor would provide.

Elsewhere, I've read that the sensors needing power get it from the POS terminal, so I'll try that as well.

I'm off to read the How-To!

Back