Upcoming change in CQC pricing

This back and forth hasn't been mean and there's been no name calling (well, until your post), so I don't think cocoontech has *quite* gone down the drain yet.

And heck, maybe drvnbysound *is* a jew, in which case he's allowed to say stuff like that. Isn't that how the rules work? :p And if not...meh, I'm too busy being angry at other stuff than to take up another fight.

FYI- drvbysound called himself a "software jew" in his own post. This was not something Anthony called him.

I don't think CQC is sold to DIYers anymore.

Try PM'ing Dean Roddey, to find out if he'll make an exception. :p

Dean, you HAVE to keep marketing to both DIYers and pros, if you want to continue both revenue streams.

Maybe try some kind of discussion thread, to come up with different ideas. Maybe 2 different names? You're shooting yourself in the foot trying to do both poorly.

173 Active Members, prob 3/4 on the annual plan. That's NOT chump change. That's also a fleet of beta testers, something that Crestron doesn't have.

Maybe a CQC Pro version, that is 'more' bulletproof, trails the routine releases by ~6 months. Not many bugs, but there appear to be a few.

I'm fairly certain that the number of actual CQC paid users is far less than the active board members.

And CQC is still being sold to DIY'ers, and there is no plans to change that. This whole thread is simply a debate about how the pricing changes might affect how many *new* DIY'ers there might be in the future, as the price increase will turn more away than are now most likely. Heck, Dean has said in several places "If you think you're GOING to want CQC as a DIYer, than buy it now and save some $$$".

Dean,
Thanks for advising everyone of the upcoming change. It was great timing for my neighbor who is in the midst of his whole house remodel. I was planning to have him buy CQC for the automation software anyway and so we just bumped up his purchase date a little. Neither the yearly maintenance fee nor the pay as you go scheme would really affect them since once I have their system up and running they will probably never upgrade anyway. So here is one instance where you really did help out a new user. With all the other comments being made in this thread I wanted to say, on behalf of my neighbors, thank you.
robolo

Dean,
Thanks for advising everyone of the upcoming change. It was great timing for my neighbor who is in the midst of his whole house remodel. I was planning to have him buy CQC for the automation software anyway and so we just bumped up his purchase date a little. Neither the yearly maintenance fee nor the pay as you go scheme would really affect them since once I have their system up and running they will probably never upgrade anyway. So here is one instance where you really did help out a new user. With all the other comments being made in this thread I wanted to say, on behalf of my neighbors, thank you.
robolo

It's starting to get close. I'm a good ways through the required changes. If I get them taken care of by the end of the week, and we get a beta out and it doesn't have any issues, it may not be long before we go live. There are the web site changes still to do, but they shouldn't take too long. Just getting the live ordering stuff back up there.

Dean,
I'm having an issue with my mail service not letting me send messages from the email account that I have on file with you.
How would you like me to proceed with purchasing some additional years of licensing.

Thanks

Dean,
I'm having an issue with my mail service not letting me send messages from the email account that I have on file with you.
How would you like me to proceed with purchasing some additional years of licensing.

Thanks

Just e-mail me at support at charmedquark.com.

Concerning this topic, what concerns me the most is the charges proposed for support. Dean has seemingly failed to post the flowing clip from his board over here...

"Oh, yeh, I forgot to cover that. All of the available support schemes are available to anyone, except that IPs have to sign up for one of the ones beyond the free forum support.

* Forum (Free.) Support purely through the public forum, on a best effort basis
* Private Forum ($500/year.) Provides access to a priority support section of the forum
* Email ($1000/year.) Direct e-mail support
* Phone ($2000/year.) Ability to make direct support phone calls

Each one includes all the ones before it, and takes priority over the ones before it."

What amazes me is that these proposed costs are far above what larger, more professional companies in the business charge for great support.

I'm not certain, but I think this thread (and forum) is primarily geared towards those who might make the plunge into CQC now at the DIY level. The extra support costs Dean mentioned on the CQC forums are things that I'm pretty sure would never affect a DIYer. I certainly know it hasn't affected me these 5 or so years.

All that to say, I don't think the support prices he mentioned are "concerning this (DIY) topic". I think all of us DIY'ers have found the "free forum" support to be well above what anyone could want.

And the support issues mentioned above did not trouble me in the least as I plunked down my license and support fees for CQC today.

I've spent hours on this forum and the CQC forum before taking the plunge, and as a DIYer, I am hopeful (and confident) that I can get whatever "support" I need from the forums and the members who so generously contribute.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not certain, but I think this thread (and forum) is primarily geared towards those who might make the plunge into CQC now at the DIY level. The extra support costs Dean mentioned on the CQC forums are things that I'm pretty sure would never affect a DIYer. I certainly know it hasn't affected me these 5 or so years.

All that to say, I don't think the support prices he mentioned are "concerning this topic". I think all of us DIY'ers have found the "free forum" support to be well above what anyone could want.

I would disagree Rob. Prior to doing this professionally, I used the telephone several times to resolve issues that could not get resolved via the board. My point is that in the DIY arrena, that support level is available with many companies for no additional charge. With Deans method, if the issue can not be resolved largly by the support group, then you are out of luck. That exhibits horrible customer service in my oppinion.

Back