Upgrading to HS2.0

gtirebuyer,
Come on now. That message was written in 1999. I'm positive Rich had no clue that they would be totally rewriting HS on .net and releasing it as 2.0. Do you honestly believe that they should give free upgrades for ever?

I think this has been discussed already. The conclusion was that HS 2.0 is a completely new version, not an upgrade - even though the term upgrade gets thrown around a lot.

So they're probably covered by the post that's quoted.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I suppose I am no longer bound by the EULA I agreed to in 1999. And as far as an upgrade, which the archived message clearly states are free FOREVER, HS 2.0 is a port of Homeseer 1.x to .net. Seems more like an update to me. It certainly is NOT a completely new version. It's not Homeseer PRO. I'm sure it was a business decision to attract customers by making upgrades free. Now they need to live with it.

gtirebuyer said:
I'm sorry but I disagree. I suppose I am no longer bound by the EULA I agreed to in 1999. And as far as an upgrade, which the archived message clearly states are free FOREVER, HS 2.0 is a port of Homeseer 1.x to .net. Seems more like an update to me. It certainly is NOT a completely new version. It's not Homeseer PRO. I'm sure it was a business decision to attract customers by making upgrades free. Now they need to live with it.
This is a joke right? Have you even looked at HS 2.0?

I'd have to agree with the Ruppster on this one...
HS 2.0 is clearly a new piece of software, and not an update of existing code.

It doesn't matter if its new code or not. Rich was specifically asked if HS2.0 was a free upgrade. He said it was. Maybe if he called it HomeSeer Pro he'd be off the hook but he didn't. It's Homeseer 2.0. and I paid for it in 1999.

I would agree that it is new software but I also have to say that gtirebuyer has a valid point.

However, if you'd like to go down the 'say what you want one day and change your mind when it no longer suits you' road, here is where Tinker said the upgrade price would be $39 and that would not change. He even jokingly told TrOjAn that he would have a 75% surcharge on his copy which, ironically, is still 30 dollars less than they are now charging (or will be come 9/15).

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?...3&page=2&pp=20&

Rupp said:
gtirebuyer said:
This is a joke right? Have you even looked at HS 2.0?
Lets see... "port to .NET", that's MS's department correct? Old HS runs on Windows 98, 2.0 can't, again why....MS changed thier software/OS. I think you need to start complaining to Bill over at MS. While your at it, find out why my upgrade to MS Office 2003 can't run on my 486 windows 95 machine.

The Pod

gtirebuyer,
Keep us up to date on your upgrade discussions an let us know how it goes. :(

gtirebuyer,

First of all your moniker is awfully close to the meaning of my initials: "George Leroy TirebITer". Did you also go to Moore Science High?

I see some merit to your points and honestly wouldn't know who would prevail.

Thanks for the link to the keware site. it's fun looking around. Could be wrong but I think I noticed a much different attitude there than I get with the current HS site, especially recently.

Very sad, but I guess, understandable.

GLT

I'd have to agree with the Ruppster on this one...
HS 2.0 is clearly a new piece of software, and not an update of existing code.

:blink: Wow, Ski taking the side of HomeSeer! :( I just fell over.

Actually I agree with you on this point though.

I'll side with HST on this upgrade question as well.. If they didn't charge, what would be their motivation to add new features and advance the software.

Unfortunately, this latest version does neither in the short term.

I'm woth the POD and company. Bought the license, but won't install for a while, unless I end up buying a new server to replace the one that jsut died. I might try a cherry install if thats the case.

Back