Upstart, CQC, COM1

rfdesq

I'm still getting into this system. I observed over the weekend that on my dedicated CQC server machine I could not use Upstart. Both CQC and Upstart use COM1, CQC plays nicely but Upstart says that it cannot find a PIM. I used Upstart on this machine before I got CQC running and had no problem with Upstart finding the PIM on COM1. Now that CQC is running Upstart is not functioning on this server because it can't find the PIM and only wants to run in offline mode. If this is the case then I have to either stop CQC and hope that it gives up COM1 or run Upstart on another machine, bring the new Upstart configuration file over to the server machine, convert it with the Kanak conversion utility, etc., etc. What is the easiest way? TIA.

Easiest is to test whether stopping CQC does in fact give up the serial port and let Upstart work. (I suspect it will.)

I was afraid you were going to say that ;), now I have to learn how to stop CQC from running or only stop the UPB driver, if possible. See, two things I have to learn.

oy, I can't remember the exact syntax of the dos command to stop a network service, but I have it in this download file. I created a shortcut to "stop_cqc" and "start_cqc" on my desktop, along with the green arrow and red stop sign icons from the windows directory, so it's trivial to start/stop CQC.

This is most useful on my laptop since I want to stop CQC so I can "standby" the laptop, but would work for you here too.

oy, I can't remember the exact syntax of the dos command to stop a network service, but I have it in this download file. I created a shortcut to "stop_cqc" and "start_cqc" on my desktop, along with the green arrow and red stop sign icons from the windows directory, so it's trivial to start/stop CQC.

This is most useful on my laptop since I want to stop CQC so I can "standby" the laptop, but would work for you here too.

The whole 'pause a driver' thing has been near the top of the list for a long time and something always ends up pushing it out. It will definitely happen post-3.0, dang it. It will also be part of a larger 'reconfigure a driver in place' type of thing, which has also been near the top of the list for a long time.

But, for now, you would have to stop CQC. You can set up short cuts on the desktoip that just invoke the commands:

Net Stop CQCAppShell
Net Start CQCAppShell

You will have to run those as an administrator in Vista if you have the usual security stuff enabled, because starting and stopping a service is an administrative thing.

Another thing that's on the list for post 3.0 is a tray app to provide some of that type of functionality easily, i.e. see what the status of the service is and start/stop it, and possibly some basic system health info.

Of course, another possible route is just unplug the device from one com port and plug it into another. The driver will go offline when the device goes away, you can talk to it via the other software on the other port, then plug it back into the original one and the driver will see it's back and reconnect.

Of course, another possible route is just unplug the device from one com port and plug it into another. The driver will go offline when the device goes away, you can talk to it via the other software on the other port, then plug it back into the original one and the driver will see it's back and reconnect.
I tried that several times and couldn't get it to work. I hope you guys don't think I'm complaining because I'm not. I'm just pointing out some things that I'm discovering while trying to learn the product. I get a kick out of seeing a light come on knowing that I made it come on with CQC ;) . Looking forward to Saturdays presentation.

I tried that several times and couldn't get it to work. I hope you guys don't think I'm complaining because I'm not. I'm just pointing out some things that I'm discovering while trying to learn the product. I get a kick out of seeing a light come on knowing that I made it come on with CQC ;) . Looking forward to Saturdays presentation.

What didn't work?

What didn't work?
Unplugging the PIM from COM1 and plugging it into COM3 didn't work. Upstart has never found the PIM on either COM1 or COM3 since installing CQC. CQC finds the PIM on COM1 with no problem. Rebooting hasn't helped either. Upstart says there is no PIM connected and wants me to work offline.

What didn't work?
Unplugging the PIM from COM1 and plugging it into COM3 didn't work. Upstart has never found the PIM on either COM1 or COM3 since installing CQC. CQC finds the PIM on COM1 with no problem. Rebooting hasn't helped either. Upstart says there is no PIM connected and wants me to work offline.

That's pretty wierd, though it doesn't seem like it would be related to CQC. Are you sure that Upstart isn't giving you a generic message when the actual problem is that something else is already trying to use COM3? Are you sure it can even open the port? And I guess the other important test would be to stop CQC and try to use it on COM3. If it works then, then clearly you've got some driver in CQC configured to use COM3. If it doesn't work, then it's got to be something else using COM3 or the COM3 hardware isn't happy.

Back