Upstart USB CIM SAI will not connect

CajunHAI

Hi all.  I had the Upstart software working with my system via a USB interface with my computer but computer crashed and had to reinstall software.  I am having trouble getting Upstart to connect again.  I keep getting the red X next to Get Firmware Version with the message, "The powerline interface could not be found.  Check that you have the interface powered-up and that the cable is properly connected between it and your computer {32}."  

Any help would be appreciated.  

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum CajunHAI!

There are two versions of the USB UPB PIM.  The PCS is a USB to Serial connection and will be seen as such.  The Simply Automated version is USB.

Try unplugging the USB connection, reboot your computer and then plug in the USB to UPB device.

It should be seen by Upstart after reboot.

You might also try resetting your PIM. 

Simply Automated PIMs could be reset by tapping the "reset button on the module 5 times, the LED will blink, tap the button 10 times, the LED will blink the opposite color, now tap the button twice.  [Then] reconnect to the interface module."

I suggest using a toothpick not a bent paper clip since 120 volts are floating around in there somewhere...

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I have tried all of the above.  Since I posted my original question, the tech guy from Simply Automated contacted me and had the following reply.  "Since the UPB PIM uses USB 1.1 technology, and my computer has USB 3.1 ports, it will not work".  

I find this odd, as I had the USB PIM working just a couple months ago, before I had to reinstall my programs.  hmmmmm....  Any input on this?  

What programs did you re-install? At first thought I'd say that your installs affected USB drivers some aspect of USB communication. Do you have another computer that you can try?

Mike.

Correction

I just did a little research and found that I've been using a Simply Automated UMC-USB-W interface with the USB 3.0 port in my notebook.

Mike.

I have an SA USB PIM here.  I also had a serial SA PIM which one day went up in smoke.  I think I posted pictures of it here. 

The SA USB PIM looks ancient and probably does use USB 1.X technology.  That said though I have always read that USB 2.X is supposed to work with USB 1.X and that USB 3.X is supposed to work with USB 1.X, USB 2.X stuff.

Will connect it today to current laptop (Lenova T540 P) with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on it and newest Windows 10 (insider preview) and Windows server 2016 64 bit.

Will utilize most current version of Upstart (PCS) and see how it works. There are two versions. Old one is made to work with XP and W7 and is 32 bit. New one is made to work with Windows 10 64 bit but it is a 32 bit application.

Only issue over the years I had with it relating to a call to SA was using a Digi Anywhere USB to Network server.  Didn't work and SA told me the USB drivers wouldn't work with it.  This was using Windows Server 2003 32 bit.  Recently upgraded to WIndows server 2016 which I like much better than Windows 10 (too much eye candy in Windows 10).  I am using an HAI UPB PIM (remote) and the SA USB PIM with Windows 2003 (RDP).  Switching these to Windows Server 2016.  I have already tested serial remote HAI UPB via serial server talking to W2016 via RDP.

Here is a composite pictorial of the SA CIM USB using W2016 64 bit connecting to Upstart V111 from PCS.
BTW Upstart sees the USB PIM as OEM with firmware version 419 (no mention of SA).
It is assumed that you are using current version of Upstart as posted on PCS. (111)

SACIMW2016.jpg

Here is a similiar composite pictorial using Windows 10 64 bit on Lenova T540 with Upstart 111 and SA CIM USB pictured above.

Personally I would purchase a PCS Serial PIM or USB PIM. The USB PIM is really just a serial pim.

or HAI PIM (easy cable connections).

I just tried to connect to my UPB system with the Lenovo windows 10 and failed. I'll try later with an old Win7 pc and let you know how it goes. My memory tells me that I last used it with the Lenovo but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Mike.

Pete...I just ordered the PCS version of the USB.  I will give that a try. 

Thanks! 
pete_c said:
I have an SA USB PIM here.  I also had a serial SA PIM which one day went up in smoke.  I think I posted pictures of it here. 

The SA USB PIM looks ancient and probably does use USB 1.X technology.  That said though I have always read that USB 2.X is supposed to work with USB 1.X and that USB 3.X is supposed to work with USB 1.X, USB 2.X stuff.

Will connect it today to current laptop (Lenova T540 P) with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on it and newest Windows 10 (insider preview) and Windows server 2016 64 bit.

Will utilize most current version of Upstart (PCS) and see how it works. There are two versions. Old one is made to work with XP and W7 and is 32 bit. New one is made to work with Windows 10 64 bit but it is a 32 bit application.

Only issue over the years I had with it relating to a call to SA was using a Digi Anywhere USB to Network server.  Didn't work and SA told me the USB drivers wouldn't work with it.  This was using Windows Server 2003 32 bit.  Recently upgraded to WIndows server 2016 which I like much better than Windows 10 (too much eye candy in Windows 10).  I am using an HAI UPB PIM (remote) and the SA USB PIM with Windows 2003 (RDP).  Switching these to Windows Server 2016.  I have already tested serial remote HAI UPB via serial server talking to W2016 via RDP.

Here is a composite pictorial of the SA CIM USB using W2016 64 bit connecting to Upstart V111 from PCS.
BTW Upstart sees the USB PIM as OEM with firmware version 419 (no mention of SA).
It is assumed that you are using current version of Upstart as posted on PCS. (111)

attachicon.gif
SACIMW2016.jpg

Here is a similiar composite pictorial using Windows 10 64 bit on Lenova T540 with Upstart 111 and SA CIM USB pictured above.

Personally I would purchase a PCS Serial PIM or USB PIM. The USB PIM is really just a serial pim.

Good news CajunHAI

Been playing here with UPB for over 10 years now and have multiple UPB PIMs.

IE: HAI, PCS and SA.

The SA CIM worked fine this morning. 

But historically the only UPB PIM that has given me issues has been the SA CIM because way long time ago it used propietary USB drivers in Windows.

This is where a long time ago switched over to using only PCS USB or RS232 and HAI RS232.

Today with my Omni Pro 2 panel only utilize the HAI UPB PIM. 

I also utilize a HAI/PCS UPB repeater here which works well as I have 100% coverage today of my UPB switches.

My UPB floaters are HAI and PCS plus the SA CIM I mention.

Its entirely possible for a USB 1.1 device NOT to work under Windows 10 if the driver has never been updated for it. Its also possible for it to work, if the driver is updated.

Pete...I just ordered the PCS version of the USB.  I will give that a try. 

Thanks! 
pete_c said:

attachicon.gif
SACIMW2016.jpg

ano said:
Its entirely possible for a USB 1.1 device NOT to work under Windows 10 if the driver has never been updated for it. Its also possible for it to work, if the driver is updated.

I just looked at the SA web site and can't find an update for the UMC-USB-W. Do you know if one exists?

Mike.

Back