Wiring existing house

lip

Hi,
I've scoured this forum(it's awesome btw) and have found a lot of my questions answered.
However, I have some basic questions on getting 22/4 cable from my basement up to floors above.

My walls are all finished so the thinking I have is that for window sensors I will drill with one of those flexi bits(auger bits) into the wood frame of the window down between the studs. I will take off the baseboard and cut a small home behind the baseboard and drill another hole from this point down to the floor below and feed the cable down there.

1. The question I have is what size flexi bit should I be looking at for the sensor wire in my window frame to be able to safely pull 22/4 wire through the hole. Should I use the same bit for all the wiring of 22/4 wire?

Also, I have no idea how these flexi bits work. I have searched for some videos and even where to buy them in Canada but have came up with nothing(although flexidrills is a Canadian company!).

2. What angle can I bend these at before breaking?
3. Does the extension piece turn around or is the turning part incased in a plastic shell of some sort?
4. Are they easy to break?
5. For pulling up wire that is multiple floor high, do you suggest fibre glass rods?
6. Where to buy this stuff?

Thanks.

Can't help you with the Canada supply, but do have some experience with this. The flexible drill bits come in different lengths and I've seen them in steel and fiberglass. The steel ones cannot bend as far and tend to only bend in an arc(not so useful in the walls), but it will allow you to drill through framing members from a rectangular cut in the drywall. Fiberglass rods are indispensable, esp if you need to push wires through insulation, feed them into existing boxes, etc. A metal fish tape can also be useful if you have long vertical runs inside a wall or ceiling cavity and can't get the rod in. Good luck!

lip,

I can tell you how I wired my downstairs windows. I used these mini mounts at the base if my windows. The white in noticeable but not an eye sore and easy to mount, plus I didn't have to drill into my windows. I thought about going through the wall cavity like you, but I found this much easier. My flexi bit is 5/8". I found all the supplies you need at Lowes or Home Depot...I assume they're in Canada.

I removed the window sill and then drilled a 1" hole through the sill plate. I used the opposite end of the flexi bit to go through the hole and go between the drywall and insulation and hit the sole plate to push the insulation away from the drywall so my bit wouldn't get caught in the insulation. The put the flexi bit through the 1" hole, along the drywall and drilled through the sole plate into the basement. You could leave the bit in place and the tape your wire to it and pull it back. I found the bit got stuck in the hole and reverse drilling would screw up the wire. I, once again, used the opposite end of the bit to fish it through the hole in the sole plate and taped the wire to it. Pull the wire up through the hole to the window. I did not use 22/4 wire. You only need 2 wire for this. Once I found the right spot to attach the sensor, I notched out an area along the back of the window sill (where it touches the window) the size of my wire. I replaced the window sill, attached the sensor, touched up the sill, connected it to the alarm panel and done.

I do not have any 2nd floor sensors. To run between floors, don't forget you will have to drill between floors too, not just attic floor/2nd story ceiling and basement ceiling and 1st floor floor. That's one reason I don't have them, plus the way my house is, I just don't need them. Once you get all the holes drilled then you have to blindly thread the needle. I think I have seen in the past really long bits for this though. However, I will tell you how I ran all my wire for upstairs (CAT5, RG6,...). If you can, find a common wall, near your basement panel preferably. You can run all your wire up through this wall into the attic and then come down from the attic to the windows. My common wall is between my garage and house and it has access above the garage which communicates w/ the attic. I drilled two 2" holes in the basement and in the space above the garage, used the fish tape and flexi rods (I didn't buy the glow rods, I use those stay rods from camping tents, works great) to run a pull cord. Now, I run all my wire through this and I don't have to worry about continuous repairing baseboards and drywall. I removed small piece of drywall in my garage to help run the wire, I leave it un-repaired just in case...can't do that in the house.

Sorry for being long winded...wanted to explain another option you may have.

Eric

My Flexibit takes forever to drill through a 2 x 4. Very long time. Be patient.

Try not to drill through any water pipes, or Romex. It's up to you to decide if you want to drill blindly with a Flexibit. Might be a lot easier to repair a few drywall holes, than come back to life after being electrocuted, or fix major flood damage.

You can drill through the floor with a tiny drill bit, at the edge of the floor below the window, and stick a brightly colored wire, or ribbon, through the hole. Go to the basement, to make sure there are no pipes, or other obstructions, near the bottom of the wall. This could also help you if you need to drill up, from the basement.

Thanks guys for the great responses!
Unfortunately my basement is finished in parts so I have to try and route everything to the section that is not.

EST: I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't go through the wall cavity but then you explained how you went through the insulation and stuff...perhaps I'm misreading this...
My windows are vinyl casement windows but the window sill is wood. I was planning on drilling with a standard long drill bit at an angle through the wooden part of the window frame and down through to the wall cavity. I'd then cut a small home behind the baseboard and use the flexibit there. I guess I could also do what you did and drill it all the way down from the window with the flexibit but I'm a bit nervous about being blind there(although with the flexibit you are always going to be a bit blind)...
Was your flexibit fiberglass...how does this work as if you have a 3-4' extension. If I'm going to cut out a small hole behind the baseboard, with a flexibit, this is going to be awkward as the angle I need to go at will be crazy...your idea of just passing it down through the window hole is probably better...

About the fibreglass rods:where did you guys get them at? Local supplier or internet?

Thanks.

I found some of the flexi bits at both Home Depot and Lowes here in Canada.
However, I did not find any of those fibreglass rods...any suggestions of types of places that carry them?

Thanks.

Any local electrical supply store, though their tools (e.g. glow stix) tend to be overpriced. Good prices on cable, though. Llimited Saturday hours, call around.

Grainger
Amazon
Cableorganizer

Did you ask at HD and Lowe's? Each of the ones I go to have them.

Any local electrical supply store, though their tools (e.g. glow stix) tend to be overpriced. Good prices on cable, though. Llimited Saturday hours, call around.

Grainger
Amazon
Cableorganizer

Did you ask at HD and Lowe's? Each of the ones I go to have them.

Thanks. Yes, neither of them had any unfortunately.
I found some places that carry these sorts of things but no one had any stock but could order...might as well get them from the internet.

If any Canadian has any experience with purchasing this stuff, let me know.
Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion...I did go through a wall cavity. I did not drill from the side of the window, through 2 2x4s into the wall cavity then through the sole plate. I absolutely hate fishing wire through insulation and I figured that way would be so hard to fish a wire through 2 small holes and insulation at different angles. The way I did it, I still went through insulation, but it was a straight line and only about 2 feet...Much easier.

My bit was not fiberglass. I didn't use any extensions, mine is about 4ft to start. Don't worry about drilling blind...as long as your in the cavity, not drilling through insulation AND not near electrical wiring it will be fine. The tip grabs the wood fast and keeps going until you feel the pop through. Once you get through, leave it in your drill and push it through a little so it will be easier to find your hole in the basement.

Eric

I have fiberglass fish sticks from both Lowes and Depot, they were both located at the electrical tool section. Brand is Greenlee, at Depot. Spent a couple bucks extra for the glow sticks at Lowes, that feature has not really been useful yet. The threads are not compatible by the way.

Thanks guys...
I think some of our Lowes and Home Depots have the sticks but not at the ones I visited. They both carry the Greenlee flexi drills but they were in rough shape(looked like returns) so I didnt buy them.

Hopefully I will get around to this in the next few weeks. Some many unfinished projects that my wife is now getting a little upset! ;)

Thanks.

Back