Wiring subwoofer question

MrSpeed

Ok I ran cables for all my speakers from the closet to the livingroom. I used a monoprice wall plate http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2 What is the best way to connect these? I think I read that if you screw them on to the plate they eventually work themselves loose.

Also the connector for the subwoofer is a female plug, is there a way to use two of my wires for the swbwoofer or will I need to run a special cable for the sub?

Thanks

I have a "powered" standalone subwoofer and ran audio coaxial to a plate adjacent to it. In addition added a new 120VAC outlet behind it in the MW. In FL ran 12 guage speaker wire to a wallplate for an "in wall" subwoofer.

If the sub is self-powered, then I would recommend that you run a coaxial cable to the plate. Use either RG-59 or a precision coaxial cable (of any size). This gives better transmission of those line level signals than the regular/cheap RG-6 stuff which is mostly copper tined stuff instead of a full copper core wire.

You can use banana plugs on the wire ends to connect them - both for the inwall wire and the actual speaker wire being connected on the outside of the plate

EDIT - you can get a F-style to RCA connector to make the connection between the subwoofer coaxial cable to the RCA plug on the wall plate.

If the sub is self-powered, then I would recommend that you run a coaxial cable to the plate. Use either RG-59 or a precision coaxial cable (of any size). This gives better transmission of those line level signals than the regular/cheap RG-6 stuff which is mostly copper tined stuff instead of a full copper core wire.

You can use banana plugs on the wire ends to connect them - both for the inwall wire and the actual speaker wire being connected on the outside of the plate

EDIT - you can get a F-style to RCA connector to make the connection between the subwoofer coaxial cable to the RCA plug on the wall plate.

Crap I have rg6 and two spare 12 gauge cables, no way to use the two spare 12 gauge cables for the subwoofer? It is a powered sub. Thanks for the link to the plugs I need!

Go ahead and try the RG-6. Depending on the distance and potential interference, it might work fine. If not, then you have lost nothing.

self powered subwoofer can use almost any cable. Since the frequency is so low, nornally is below 50Hz, it is really not matter that much for the cable. But you need to pay attention to its phase, if you have more than one subwoofer installed.

Back