worries about window contacts

I've read your howto specifically the testing of wires and it's cool. I learned especially the setting of meter. This part, "Put it to the highest resistance if checking an open line to see if they're shorted."

Thanks again!

By the way folks, I would like to follow up my concern on the magnets being wet by the rain. Is it fine?

The magnets are fully enclosed in the plastic shell so it should be ok to get wet, but the water may eventually weaken and destroy the adhesive.

Frankly, I don't understand why any components would get wet, except the reed switch if the window was left open and it rained inside the window. The magnet is always on the inside of the window, so unless it is raining INSIDE your house, I don't see how it will get wet???

Now if you are talking about mounting the magnet under the window frame itself, then I would probably just use a strong and thin magnet made for that purpose and silicone or screw it in place. Sometimes these mags have a special coating, or you could always spray it with like rustoleum or something non metallic to protect it better. And even then, if you window drain is working properly, that magnet should hardly get anything more than just damp.

Are you windows vinyl? I think that is the only way a magnet under the frame will still close the reed switch.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I just like to go with the philosophy of if you TEACH a man to fish; you feed him for life (or something like that)!
It's give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he gets up at 4:00 a.m., leaves his wife in bed, spends all day in a boat, doesn't catch anything and comes home smelling like beer :( .

Steve said:
The magnets are fully enclosed in the plastic shell so it should be ok to get wet, but the water may eventually weaken and destroy the adhesive.

Frankly, I don't understand why any components would get wet, except the reed switch if the window was left open and it rained inside the window. The magnet is always on the inside of the window, so unless it is raining INSIDE your house, I don't see how it will get wet???

Now if you are talking about mounting the magnet under the window frame itself, then I would probably just use a strong and thin magnet made for that purpose and silicone or screw it in place. Sometimes these mags have a special coating, or you could always spray it with like rustoleum or something non metallic to protect it better. And even then, if you window drain is working properly, that magnet should hardly get anything more than just damp.

Are you windows vinyl? I think that is the only way a magnet under the frame will still close the reed switch.
Ah, let me show you where I'm planning to put the magnet. If you look at the top picture, it's the window that we move up and down. Right now, I'm showing the bottom side of the window. Where the magnet is on the picture is the place where I want to stick it.

The bottom picture shows where the switch will be installed. And eventhough the magnet and switch is being separated by the window frame which is about 2 to 3/16", the sensor still works. The GRI 110 is really strong.

Attachments

• windowcontact_location.jpg
    windowcontact_location.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 24
rfdesq said:
It's give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he gets up at 4:00 a.m., leaves his wife in bed, spends all day in a boat, doesn't catch anything and comes home smelling like beer :p .
Yes, that's it, I just couldn't remember the entire quote!!

Thanks! :(

I must be missing something in the pictures because if you put that magnet under the window where you are showing it, how is the window going to close all the way? It does not look like there is a recess under the window.

Steve;

I 'think' that he is mounting it on the ledge that extends along the bottom portion of the window.

Look at the second picture towards the middle left and you will see what I believe is this ledge shown in the closeup.

Steve said:
I must be missing something in the pictures because if you put that magnet under the window where you are showing it, how is the window going to close all the way? It does not look like there is a recess under the window.
Yes, I knew you would ask that question. :(

I tried it and window closes well without any issues.

Steve,

This is how it would look like. All I left is patching.

Attachments

• wcontactfinal.jpg
    wcontactfinal.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 24
BraveSirRobbin said:
Steve;

I 'think' that he is mounting it on the ledge that extends along the bottom portion of the window.

Look at the second picture towards the middle left and you will see what I believe is this ledge shown in the closeup.
Yea, I see that. That the the 'handle' you use to lift and shut the window I believe, but that does not extend all the way across the window to where the contact is. And again in the last pic here is certainly looks like is is underneath the window. And if it is underneath the window, I don't undestand how the window can close all the way, plus I would imagine the window could cock to one side because the bottom is no longer flat.

If it works, great, but I still don't understand it, but that ok, I don't need to.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Steve,

Hey v1rtu0s1ty,

By looking at the picture, EOL is connected to the red wire (zone). My understanding was you connect it to the black wire(common), am i missing some thing here or it doesn't matter..

By installing the Sensor (magnet), below the window, won't it get damaged every time you open and close the window ??

-Suresh.

Steve said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Steve;

Yea, I see that. That the the 'handle' you use to lift and shut the window I believe, but that does not extend all the way across the window to where the contact is. And again in the last pic here is certainly looks like is is underneath the window. And if it is underneath the window, I don't undestand how the window can close all the way, plus I would imagine the window could cock to one side because the bottom is no longer flat.

If it works, great, but I still don't understand it, but that ok, I don't need to.
Actually it seems you are correct and I was mistaken Steve. Not sure exactly what is going on either! :D

surdev said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Steve,

Hey v1rtu0s1ty,

By looking at the picture, EOL is connected to the red wire (zone). My understanding was you connect it to the black wire(common), am i missing some thing here or it doesn't matter..

By installing the Sensor (magnet), below the window, won't it get damaged every time you open and close the window ??

-Suresh.
Good point. Let's ask the experts here where the resistor should actually be placed. Right now, mine is connected to the Z2, then the black is connected to the NEG on the M1. Anyone please?

Regarding the magnet at the bottom of the window, I can actually push the window downwards about 1/8" more. I can try putting a duck tape with adhesive facing up, then try to close the window. If it sticks to the magnet when I close it, then very close.

I'll try that and make another post.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Good point. Let's ask the experts here where the resistor should actually be placed. Right now, mine is connected to the Z2, then the black is connected to the NEG on the M1. Anyone please?
Neil, you have it correct. Even if you did it the other way it would be correct. All you did was add 2.2k ohms of resistance in series with a closed switch from the neg or common to a zone. When the switch opens you get infinity ohms. When someone shorts the wire somewhere between the switch and the panel you get zero ohms. Either way it isn't 2.2k ohms.

Thanks Robert!

Ok Steve, maybe, the new pictures will help a lot.

surdev, about your concern. I placed a short piece of duct tape exactly beneath the magnet. I closed the window slowly and locked it, opened it again, the duct tape didn't stick. I tried it again but this time, I pushed it downwards more and brought the window back up, only one end(about 3%) of the adhesive sticked to the magnet. I guess, I should be fine with this one window. I don't know the other windows though. :D

Attachments

• wc_sidebottomview.jpg
    wc_sidebottomview.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
Back