Z-Wave, scale 1-10

mckearn

Are there differences in the quality of Z-Wave products? The price differences are pretty extreme, and I want to get the right stuff if it matters. Why not just buy the 40.00 Intermatics, as apposed to the 120.00 Monsters?

I have used the Intermatic and the ACT/HomePro devices.

I now use (and prefer) the Vizia-RF line. The plug-in modules are smaller and the wall switches just seem to have a better look and feel. Some people do not like the way the Vizia-RF paddle switches work. You press the bottom and the switch goes to the opposite state of on or off. The dimming is done by a smaller two position switch at the side. Also, the switches remember their last dimmed state and return to that on the next on cycle. I kind of like that approach myself. My two cents.

Ken

I have used the Intermatic and the ACT/HomePro devices.

I now use (and prefer) the Vizia-RF line. The plug-in modules are smaller and the wall switches just seem to have a better look and feel. Some people do not like the way the Vizia-RF paddle switches work. You press the bottom and the switch goes to the opposite state of on or off. The dimming is done by a smaller two position switch at the side. Also, the switches remember their last dimmed state and return to that on the next on cycle. I kind of like that approach myself. My two cents.

Ken

Any diffrences in dependability?

Any diffrences in dependability?

At the time I had two HomePro and maybe six of the Intermatic HA06 in wall dimmers. I had one of the HomePro switches fail (a ZDW100). All of the Intermatic devices survived my six month test period.

Something else to consider; some of the dimmers do not require a neutral wire and obtain power through the load. The HA06s, for example require a minimum 40 watt load to operate. I did not have any problems with that. I would check out the product manual to verify how each one operates. Also, in the manual, check out the length of the warranty. Some of the devices have a standard limited warranty period in excess of five years. That speaks well for the dependability issue.

In my late 1950s house the 'no neutral' devices worked out well. The current Vizia-RF dimmers do not require a neutral but the relay switches do.

Ken

Edit corrected spelling/grammar

Get newer models whereever possible, such as the Intermatic stuff. Various internal improvements and RF networking improvements make them more reliable than the older first generation ACT stuff.

I like the price of the HA06 Dimmer. They are the cheapest priced of all that are available. That's what I'll probably go with then.

Thanks for all the info.

Here is a nice matrix of all available Z-Wave wall switches so you can see all the differences. There are quite a few. This also lists all the warrantees.

-Rich

I like the price of the HA06 Dimmer. They are the cheapest priced of all that are available. That's what I'll probably go with then.

Thanks for all the info.

Also, the switches remember their last dimmed state and return to that on the next on cycle. I kind of like that approach myself.

This is configurable on Vizia RF. I for instance have them always turn on to a preset level.

Back