100th Insteon Device Installed

Herdfan said:
As for the Icons, I was slightly confused with the LED status until my wife told me that it was so you could see it in the dark to turn it on. Made sense. I only have a few Icons in places like the attic, furnace room, storage etc. Mainly places only I see, but that bright green LED in the dark is nice.
I'm not confused when I think about it. It's just when I am on automatic pilot that I find myself jabbing at the wrong switch. Probably because most of my switches for the past many years have been Leviton 6291s which work the opposite way.

Herdfan said:
My next install, maybe tonight if they come, is a timer on the MBR closet. It stays on all the time. Soon it will stay on for 15 minutes. ;)
Be careful with that one! The MBR closet timer got me into so much trouble it was unbelievable... 15 minutes is way too short. I might be able to get away with 1 or 2 hours here... and of course that isn't an option except via external control.

PeterW said:
15 minutes is way too short. I might be able to get away with 1 or 2 hours here...
According to the manual, a second press gets you an hour and each press after that gets you an additional hour.

Its interesting that the Timer Relay started life as a regular relay. The old Relay sticker is underneath the Timer sticker. And it has more of an ICON type lable on the box, not the polished INSTEON labels. So I wonder if it was just a relay that has a slightly different firmware in it. Too bad you can't set it for the time you want a single press to be. Sort of like setting a dimmer level or ramp rate.

Wow, 100 insteon devices!!! That's awesome.

I'm just starting to play with a small set of devices as a proof of concept and would love to know some examples on the types of linking you are doing with all those devices and how you are setting up your KeypadLincs as it looks like ou have quite a few of them.

Thanks,
Johnny

johnnynine said:
Wow, 100 insteon devices!!! That's awesome.

I'm just starting to play with a small set of devices as a proof of concept and would love to know some examples on the types of linking you are doing with all those devices and how you are setting up your KeypadLincs as it looks like ou have quite a few of them.

Thanks,
Johnny
I use one kaypadlinc as the switch for the back porch light. This lets me use the secondary keypad buttons to control other outdoor lights right at the doorway. As I go out the door I can turn on various floodlights depending on where I need to go in the yard.

I use a keypadlinc at the buttom of the stairs to the third floor. I can immediately see if any lights have been left on up there by looking at the leypad and can also turn them off without having to go up there.

I have 7 switches in the attic storage areas wired as one big muti-way setup. (any switch controls them all). They are also tied to one of the kepad buttons at the bottom of the stairs.

I have X-10 fixture modules and screw-in modules being controlled from Insteon keypad buttons.

My home office has no built-in fixture wiring and has to be lit completely with lamps. I stuck a wiremold box on the wall with a keypad so I can control the lights in more of a "normal" wall switch manner.

And so on...

Herdfan said:
Its interesting that the Timer Relay started life as a regular relay. The old Relay sticker is underneath the Timer sticker. And it has more of an ICON type lable on the box, not the polished INSTEON labels. So I wonder if it was just a relay that has a slightly different firmware in it. Too bad you can't set it for the time you want a single press to be. Sort of like setting a dimmer level or ramp rate.
The Timer Relay is a V2 Relay with its own firmware slightly modified to become a timer.

And now the closet light doesn't get left ON anymore. :unsure:

I am thinking of using the timers on my daughters ceiling fan. She likes to have it on when she goes to sleep, but it makes her room too cold if left on. So 15 minutes is about right.

Herdfan said:
And now the closet light doesn't get left ON anymore. :blink:

I am thinking of using the timers on my daughters ceiling fan. She likes to have it on when she goes to sleep, but it makes her room too cold if left on. So 15 minutes is about right.
Isn't this a situation in which you would like to apply some additional logic to the "timing:"

For example, you might want the fan on all day on the weekends, but not M-F during the school year, yet still turn off x minutes after bedtime.

Is it possible to setup such complicated triggers in HomeSeer? Say even incorporating a temp sensor as an override to leave it on or turn it back on if the ambient temp is above a threshhold?

One thing to keep in mind (I had a version 1 of this in my bathroom for a fan until I get a better setup), if you tap the paddle multiple times, it adds 15 minutes for each tap.

It used to cap out at 45 minutes if I remember correctly. So, for now, if we take a shower we tap twice. There are other things that can be done, but this was a quick and easy until i get further along with my integration project.

Back