A question on network router cabling

Here relating to WAF; it is more of an acceptance of what is and related to what I have learned while working being able to implement said on the home network.  Today that is more needed than ever before.

She has an IPhone (sisters do too) and it is primary used to gossip on social sites.  It is easy for her to use.  That said she still keeps it off most of the time and turns it on to use it or gossip.

Wife has heard text to speech here since the 1990's and I did have it in the home in the 1980's.  That said she didn't understand it until she heard about it on a women's talk show and explained in an easy to understand language which was something I couldn't really do.

She knows how to use the Internet and that is all that matters for her.  She really has never had any interest in remote controlling the home via cellular or a smart phone or accessing her home files or anything at home today. 

My interests for VPN to home is related to just a secure connection without having to open multiple ports on my firewall.  I do like going to my alarm panel via VPN over keeping ports on the firewall open.  I use it.

Relating to work I was able to remote control an automotive assembly line via a modem connection to a controlling PC in 1995.  In the 2000's I was able to manage some 250 global routers and more switches via the comfort of my home office via a VPN connection.  It was instant and much faster than having to drive to operations and fixing things there.  

That said I also use the central monitoring service pings and that really also works fine for me.  That is me. 

Lately seeing a political brew ha ha about cyber security, hacking and the such.  These folks are just politicians.  They are not policemen, cyber security folks, et al.   Really it is all about stupidity and ignorance of what has been around now for years.  There is nothing new about it.  There are just a lot of people that do not know anything about it so they are making up stuff to compensate for their stupidity cuz it works better for them. 

pete_c said:
Lately seeing a political brew ha ha about cyber security, hacking and the such.  These folks are just politicians.  They are not policemen, cyber security folks, et al.   Really it is all about stupidity and ignorance of what has been around now for years.  There is nothing new about it.  There are just a lot of people that do not know anything about it so they are making up stuff to compensate for their stupidity cuz it works better for them. 
It must be true, I read it on the internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_election_interference_by_Russia

The Internet has become a wondrous tool used for global communications good or bad.

That said it was a global initiative (global whistle blowing) that leaked out real stuff and it was picked up by everybody in the world including world media, our global adversaries, anybody that happen to look and every country in the world that doesn't filter this stuff. 

BREAKING: Secretary of State John Kerry Demanded Julian Assange’s Internet Be Cut Off
Jim Hoft Oct 18th, 2016 2:25 pm

It was too late as the global initiative was much stronger than any one country and bigger than the largest media companies in the world.

Our global adversaries laughing mostly at the back peddling going on (they had NO control).

This indeed made us look really bad on a global stage.

How easily folks can be swayed and not be able to tell what is real or not real reading on the Internet; it is more entertaining that watching regular television.

The phrase "Eye for an eye" is as old as the hills...call it a virtual "Eye for an eye"...

"An eye for an eye", or the law of retaliation, is the principle that a person who has injured another person is to be penalized to a similar degree, or in softer interpretations, the victim receives the [estimated] value of the injury in compensation.

The principle is sometimes referred using the Latin term lex talionis or the law of talion. The English word talion (from the Latin talio means a retaliation authorized by law, in which the punishment corresponds in kind and degree to the injury.

We are evolving as a human species and make use of computers and the Internet all of the time. 

There is always that discussion on what AI will bring to us ....

video321 said:
Simple... some routers will perform what is called NAT Reflection and some won't.

If that is true then how is it that my cameras time out when I try to address them with the WAN address of my gateway from my LAN but Ekeypad Pro can access my Elk successfully via the same WAN address of my gateway from within the LAN (using a different port)? I have wifi turned on and connected with my Iphone in both cases.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm trying to understand.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
If that is true then how is it that my cameras time out when I try to address them with the WAN address of my gateway from my LAN but Ekeypad Pro can access my Elk successfully via the same WAN address of my gateway from within the LAN (using a different port)? I have wifi turned on and connected with my Iphone in both cases.

Mike.

Do you have your cameras port forwarded?

Are you trying to address each of them individually? If so, do you have them each forwarding on a different port?

drvnbysound said:
Do you have your cameras port forwarded?

Are you trying to address each of them individually? If so, do you have them each forwarding on a different port?
Yes Yes and Yes

These  cams have been working in the current config for years and only stopped working after changing the gateway. i'm leaning toward a dns problem but when I change my dns servers the set top boxes stop working.

The Elk also stopped sending emails from my gmail account and changing from the frontier dns servers to google dns servers corrected that problem.

mikefamig said:

Mike.

Have you turned off cellular data to ensure Ekeypad isn't routing through that connection? It may be failing over WiFi then trying to connect over cellular. I don't use that app so I can't comment further.

mikefamig said:
Yes Yes and Yes

These  cams have been working in the current config for years and only stopped working after changing the gateway. i'm leaning toward a dns problem but when I change my dns servers the set top boxes stop working.

The Elk also stopped sending emails from my gmail account and changing from the frontier dns servers to google dns servers corrected that problem.

Do yourself a favor and get away from their DNS servers. Enter Frontier's servers into the set top boxes directly and use DHCP to assign whatever servers you want for the rest of your LAN -- as was discussed in the other thread.

video321 said:
Do yourself a favor and get away from their DNS servers. Enter Frontier's servers into the set top boxes directly and use DHCP to assign whatever servers you want for the rest of your LAN -- as was discussed in the other thread.
I don't believe that it is possible to assign a unique dns server to the set top box. Can you link me to the other thread that you mentioned?

Mike.

video321 said:
Have you turned off cellular data to ensure Ekeypad isn't routing through that connection? It may be failing over WiFi then trying to connect over cellular. I don't use that app so I can't comment further.

The problems only occur when wifi is turned on in the iphone. The cams are accessible with wifi turned off and using gsm as is everything else.  l However ekeypad will work even with wifi turned on while the cams will not. Ekeypad is configured to access the WAN gateway address only and does not have fail-over.

Mike.

video321 said:

The problems only occur when wifi is turned on in the iphone. The cams are accessible with wifi turned off and using gsm as is everything else.  However ekeypad will work even with wifi turned on while the cams will not. Ekeypad is configured to access the WAN gateway address only and does not have fail-over.

Mike.

video321 said:

My point is that the app on my iphone can only access my cams via gateway WAN address 32.208.190.x via gsm and time out when wifi is turned on. I force them to gsm by turning wifi off in iphone settings. With wifi turned on in the phone the cams time out when addressing them via the WAN gateway. Sometimes the page partially loads and then times out so the address seems to be found but the connection times out before the page can load.

On the other hand, ekeypad will access the Elk via the WAN gateway address 32.208.190.x fine even with wifi turned on and with wifi turned off. This leads me to believe that NAT reflection may no be my problem. If it was then it would affect Ekeypad address routing as well as the cam's, no?

Mike.

My cams use ports in the 80xx range and the elk is 20xx. Is it possible that the router puts restrictions on certain ports or ranges of ports? Is there a problem with using 80xx?

Mike.

Correction - The Elk uses port 26xx

Back