Best Vizia RF+ switches to mix with HAI UPB and OMNI IIE?

lvmikel

Hi all.

This forum has been extremely helpful for me in the past, so its my go to for questions like this.

I have done a bunch of reading through existing threads and see a lot of information on zwave, vizia rf+, vrcop, vrusb, etc, etc, etc....but still don't see something specific to answer my question.

So here is what I am doing...
Decided I am going to buy some door locks that can integrate back to the Omni iie, Looks like zwave is the way to go, so I bought a vrcop and vrusb. I also have a bunch of HAI UPB 35a00-cfl switches in my setup.

So I started thinking that I may just add a bunch of zwave switches also as I never finished converting all my stock switches to UPB.

Requirements would be:
1. Must handle LED bulbs.
2. Must match as close to possible the HAI UPB switches.
3. Must integrate to the VRCOP, VRUSB and OMNI iie.

So my questions are:
1. Brand and model number of best switches for dimming that meet the requirements?
2. Brand and model number of best switches for NON dimming that meet the requirements?
3. Brand and model number of best auxiliary switch to match 1 and 2 above for 3 way configuration?

I have run across so many different ones that I am not sure what the pros/cons best ones for my application are.
Just in the vizia rf+ area, I see roughly 4 choices....

Thanks everyone!
Mike

What I would do, is leave your existing UPB switches in place and not mix technology for switches / dimmers... because you're not only mixing technology but also look and feel. 

Rather, I'd suggest that you install Zwave receptacles/outlets that provide a sufficient Zwave mesh to reach from your VRC0P device, to your deadbolts. You will need to ensure that the devices you choose support Beaming. You could get inexpensive ones (that don't necessarily support automatic status feedback to the Omni) or Leviton ones that do. 

When I added locks, I went with Zigbee ones.  I didn't want to mix Zwave in with my UPB.

JonW said:
When I added locks, I went with Zigbee ones.  I didn't want to mix Zwave in with my UPB.

Why? 

Zigbee and Zwave both utilize a wireless mesh technology. Certainly there are underlying protocol differences, but both are still wireless. 

drvnbysound said:

Why? 

Zigbee and Zwave both utilize a wireless mesh technology. Certainly there are underlying protocol differences, but both are still wireless. 

Several reasons.  (1)  I've never been a fan of Zwave's whole master/secondary controller setup.  (2) I didn't want to mix lighting and outlet switches from two different technologies.  I prefer to manage it all in one place.  (3) While I have no real Zwave devices, I actually use the Zwave protocol from the OPII serial port to support some external devices with a custom serial gateway.  These devices appear as virtual Zwave items in the OPII.  My Jandy pool system appears as 4 Zwave thermostats for pool, spa, solar and air temperature within the OPII.  I can control the Jandy temperatures by changing the setpoint values within the OPII.  All pumps, valves and lights on the Jandy system are also represented in the OPII as lighting devices that can be controlled and show their real-time status. 

While I don't like Zwave, I do like that I can emulate their protocol to support external thermostats and devices.

drvnbysound said:

Why? 

"Why" is a good question.

In my opinion, despite zigbee network/transport layer unquestionable superiority vs the zwave poor excuse for a protocol and despite zigbee open nature, all the plusses are negated by the terribly fragmented zigbee application level and the misguided choice of the 2.4GHz band for communication. Until these "minuses" are fixed, practically speaking, zwave is a better choice, out of the two protocol,  for HA today.

JonW said:
Several reasons.  (1)  I've never been a fan of Zwave's whole master/secondary controller setup.  (2) I didn't want to mix lighting and outlet switches from two different technologies.  I prefer to manage it all in one place.  (3) While I have no real Zwave devices, I actually use the Zwave protocol from the OPII serial port to support some external devices with a custom serial gateway.  These devices appear as virtual Zwave items in the OPII.  My Jandy pool system appears as 4 Zwave thermostats for pool, spa, solar and air temperature within the OPII.  I can control the Jandy temperatures by changing the setpoint values within the OPII.  All pumps, valves and lights on the Jandy system are also represented in the OPII as lighting devices that can be controlled and show their real-time status. 

While I don't like Zwave, I do like that I can emulate their protocol to support external thermostats and devices.
The zwave protocol is essentially an RF protocol with semi-open serial backend API.  OMNI, as well as Elk, uses a Leviton proprietary serial ASCII backend protocol that is different from the Sigma serial API.

Therefore, I imagine your gateway translates, back and forth, the Leviton proprietary serial ASCII protocol rather than the actual zwave protocol.

Group,

I appreciate all the responses.
But regardless of whether zigbee or zwave is superior, or whether the zwave sitches will aesthetically match my upb switches...

Can someone PLEASE answer my questions?

Thanks!

Your #2 will be a sticking point. You pretty much won't match switches across technology lines. Even the same manufacturer rarely has matching switches in different technology (Zwave vs. UPB).

I started looking for switches I liked the features and look of, then for compatible technology. Unfortunately even then there are trade offs. I like some of the Cooper Zwave switches, but the status updates aren't fully compliant with HAI/Leviton automation.

lvmikel said:
Group,

I appreciate all the responses.
But regardless of whether zigbee or zwave is superior, or whether the zwave sitches will aesthetically match my upb switches...

Can someone PLEASE answer my questions?

Thanks!

I did. See the first response in the thread. :) 

cobra said:
Your #2 will be a sticking point. You pretty much won't match switches across technology lines. Even the same manufacturer rarely has matching switches in different technology (Zwave vs. UPB).

I started looking for switches I liked the features and look of, then for compatible technology. Unfortunately even then there are trade offs. I like some of the Cooper Zwave switches, but the status updates aren't fully compliant with HAI/Leviton automation.

That's why in my post I said not to change the switches / dimmers at all and leave them all UPB as is today... and just put in Zwave receptacles to build the Zwave mesh network to then support the locks. 

Here have left the UPB wall switches in place and still tinkering with Zigbee and Z-Wave and use X10 for Christmas lighting. 

I have updated many UPB switches to multi toggle, dual load and shrank down the wall footprint.

The first question you have to answer is relative size of your house. The second question is how far will each device be from the VRC0P+3 controller. Based on these answers, you will have to plan to add appropriate numbers of slave ZWave devices.

1) Must handle LED bulbs.

All Vizia+ three wire switches - not dimmers - can turn CF/LED bulbs on/off. Dimmers are a slightly different story. Leviton released a new “LED” compatible dimmer. I purchased one, but haven’t yet installed (http://home.leviton.com/products/vizia-rf-lighting-control/).

2) Must match as close to possible the HAI UPB switches.

As others have said, this is probably not possible. The Leviton Vizia+ switches uses a paddle motion. This motion is not very natural at first, but once you use it for long period of time, you'll grow to really like it.

3) Must integrate to the VRCOP, VRUSB and OMNI iie.

You will have to add one extra compatible piece of software - Leviton RF Installer Toolkit. Since the whole eco-system is “Levition”, highest degree of compatibility will be Leviton – and even then your mileage may vary. I do have third-party wall socket that was correctly identified and installed by RFIT. If you want to use a wide variety of Z-Wave products, then you’re probably better purchasing a Z-Wave gateway that can talk to HAI.

d.dennerline said:
The first question you have to answer is relative size of your house. The second question is how far will each device be from the VRC0P+3 controller. Based on these answers, you will have to plan to add appropriate numbers of slave ZWave devices.

1) Must handle LED bulbs.

All Vizia+ three wire switches - not dimmers - can turn CF/LED bulbs on/off. Dimmers are a slightly different story. Leviton released a new “LED” compatible dimmer. I purchased one, but haven’t yet installed (http://home.leviton.com/products/vizia-rf-lighting-control/).

2) Must match as close to possible the HAI UPB switches.

As others have said, this is probably not possible. The Leviton Vizia+ switches uses a paddle motion. This motion is not very natural at first, but once you use it for long period of time, you'll grow to really like it.

3) Must integrate to the VRCOP, VRUSB and OMNI iie.

You will have to add one extra compatible piece of software - Leviton RF Installer Toolkit. Since the whole eco-system is “Levition”, highest degree of compatibility will be Leviton – and even then your mileage may vary. I do have third-party wall socket that was correctly identified and installed by RFIT. If you want to use a wide variety of Z-Wave products, then you’re probably better purchasing a Z-Wave gateway that can talk to HAI.

The latest Leviton Zwave devices are manufactured with a more "standard" design; standard paddle style. 

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/lighting-controls/decora-smart-with-zwave

I'd stay with the Leviton UPB switches as they work well. Strangely enough, the LED version of these switches is NOT the best choice to control LED lights. Go figure. And they have relay switches, which few other companies make. 

Back