CCTV Overview

I have a slightly different perspective on CCTV based on years of using it in the field in Loss Prevention and Corporate Security.

The first thing is to have realistic expectations from your CCTV system. CCTV is not the be all end all of security. Many people have the misconception that a video camera will solve any crime.... they are sorely mistaken.

In many cases, considering you have a set budget, you will be better served with more lower level cameras. Most salesmen will tell you the opposite, and make good arguments for higher end equipment, however, the point of diminishing returns is quite low.

For an example, lets use IVB's camera on the front of his house.

What is it's purpose? Is it to identify somebody who is at the door before you answer it, or somebody who is trying to brake in to the house, or brake in to your car, or the car that ran in to your car parked on the street, or the mugger on the sidewalk......?

I hate to tell you this, but from the looks of it, it won't do any of these. A simple peep hole camera for under $100 would tell you somebody was at the door and give you a good chance of being able to identify them. For the rest of the scenarios I listed, save your money, they're pipe dreams. You may be able to see something happen, but you won't get anything good enough to identify somebody unless you have a very sloppy perpetrator and a very dedicated detective

Some people here use cameras in there homes so they can remotely check in to verify an alarm. A $30 cam will serve you just as well as a $300 one for this... and you'll be able to get 4 for the same price (when you factor in wiring and recording costs).

If you do go with something with a high resolution, keep in mind that to make it worthwhile, you'll need to record at that resolution.

On IR, I completely agree with Collin. They can serve a purpose if you want to catch somebody taking something, but even then you are better served by low lux camera and an IR iluminator. Around your home, use a motion detector to kick lights on. That way you have light for the cam , light to scare off the bad guy, and light for the neighbors to see the bad guys. Your money and effort is better spent securing items than getting video so you may possibly (unlikely) be able to identify somebody that took something.

Oh too true!

I didn't say I don't sell IR at all, jusy not integrated into the actual cameras.

You might be surprised at what a quality camera can see with starlight alone.

I know my $150 BW bullet can see the shadow of my mailbox 60 feet away from the light produced by a 13w florescent porchlight.

If it's setup properly IR is usually not needed, it does have its places.

Also I have nothing against outdoor lighting on motion sensors... just lights left on all night. Based on what you are saying I would certainly consider skipping the IR completely and go with a low light camera. Problem with BW is that even though they are more practical for low light I need color for daytime (if I am going to get it approved!)

Back at ya, CTay!

I'm kinda swamped, but still processing. I was still going at 3am this morning and starting back at it at 9:30am.

I did a more formal powerpoint for the neighbors, plus wrote up the following blurb. Enjoy.

Link to Camera 101 Powerpoint. It was written a year ago, so the info is slightly dated, but not much.

The blurb I just did.
------------------------------------------------------

I was taking a few screenshots & doing a more detailed writeup for someone about my security cameras, thought you may find value in seeing it to. You'll see the camera types, costs, and example screenshots for 2 of them. They're a little grainy, but for the price I was willing to spend ($150-$200 per camera) that's about what you'd get. If I spent a little more, I could get much nicer images, but I bought these before I knew better and it's not like i'm going to be able to re-sell these for much. They're fine for my needs.

I currently have 4 different types of cameras:

1) A mini-dome camera on my front door without IR (Infrared) illumination built-in.

t-1457-1270.jpeg

Most would say this is very ugly as it stands out, but to me, that's the point. No way would someone miss this, so they know they're being recorded. This is 1/3", 480TVLine lens, which is basically a middle-of-the-road camera. It's $190, part of the reason for the cost is that it's a dome.

I don't need any IR on this as I have a motion sensor light 4' above it, so if anyone comes near at night the light will come on.

Link to Camera
Screenshot from it.

2) A Bosch dome camera on the back door, no built-in IR.
VDM3x5AndVDC4x5_Photo_all_E2910214155_Online.jpg

This is a larger unit, 1/3" 540TVLine camera. It's $225, but it's got a nicer image than the mini-dome above.

Link to details.

I don't have a screenshot handy, i'll get one later and put it up.

3) A Vitek Bullet Camera with built-in IR illumunation.
t-1285-1117.jpeg

It's a 1/3", 450TVLines model, $156.
I would *NOT* get this camera again as the built-in IR generates lots of "cloudiness" at night, as the IR bounces off everything, esp the inevitable cobwebs on/near it. If I had to do it again, i'd get a seperate IR illuminator
Link to details.
Screenshot from it.

4) A covert, motion sensor with a hidden camera.
t-1281-1113.jpeg

it's a pinhole type camera, where no one would know it's a camera. This is actually hooked up to the security system, it's a fully functional motion sensor. It just also has a 2nd wire coming out of it for the camera portion. The wires are pretty small too, so not very obtrusive.

Link to details.

I typically use this view so I can see the front 4 cameras at the same time, ie if the doorbell rings.

I like to use 2 of these baluns, one on each side of the wiring run so I can use CAT3 or 22guage/2conductor wire which is pretty small. If you look at the pic below:
t-1037-924.jpeg

all you need to do is use those screw terminals on the top, connect one wire to each terminal, plug the "tail" with the connector into the camera on one side, and your DVR on the other side, and you're done. How simple is that :)

Back