Cure for a lot of x-10 issues

Yes i have heard some good things about Jeff,s XTB device .....
Hoping a 240v version to be available soon (currently being tested i believe) ..
Then i can sprinkle a few x10 appliance module around the place ...

Frank

I also did some looking at it based on a suggestion from, I believe, upstatemike. My original understanding was that it amplified signals in both directions, so that it would help your TW523 (or whatever you have behind it) talk AND hear better. But when I did some reading in some newsgroup postings and other internet sources, it seemed that it is only a one-way amplify. Does anyone know for sure? I thought about putting it in between my CM11A and the main panel, but the times I have trouble, it's just as much the CM11A hearing, as it is other modules hearing it.

I did read somewhere that it amplifies stuff on the line up to a standard level for the TW523 (or whatever is plugged into it). I will have to hunt around for where I saw that.

upstatemike said:
I will have to hunt around for where I saw that.
And I will have to hunt around to see where I saw that it didn't... I may have simply misinterpreted it. I think you were the one that suggested this in the thread where I was considering switching from x10 to Insteon, and I THINK you may have also been the one that said it improved the signal both ways. But I seem to remember reading somewhere where the guy who designed these making some comment to the effect that he originally intended on it amplifying in both directions, but decided not to out of concern that it could pose some kind of regulatory issue (like UL, or some other agency). I'll have to root around and make sure I didn't dream that.

I'm not a registered user there, but you can forward this:

The XTB mainly boosts the transmitted signal, but there is an amplifier in
the return signal path. The purpose of that amplifier is to counteract
signal loss in the coupling networks. When used with a single transmitter,
such as a PSC05 or TW523, there is about 2X gain in low amplitude return
signals. High amplitude signals are limited to prevent coupling into the
power amplifier. Return signals are limited to approximately .2Vpp with a
typical X10 transmitter plugged into the XTB receptacle. However, that
amplitude may vary with different types of transmitters.

Jeff

From Jeff, Keith

Yes, thank you. Who knows what I thought I read. I did all kinds of reading on it after Mike first suggested it - obviously I either interpreted or remembered something incorrectly.

Hmm, two things holding me back on this.

1) I first thought this was a "direct" replacement for the TW-523 or PSC05. Am I correct in saying that it is not, rather it is just an amplifier that plugs into an AC outlet? In other words, it operates a lot like SmartHome's Booster Link??

2) This statement in the instructions:

Care must be taken to properly align the tiny surface-mount op-amp before soldering
I find it amazing that anyone would select "surface mount" components for a DIY kit! :lol:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Hmm, two things holding me back on this.

1) I first thought this was a "direct" replacement for the TW-523 or PSC05. Am I correct in saying that it is not, rather it is just an amplifier that plugs into an AC outlet? In other words, it operates a lot like SmartHome's Booster Link??

2) This statement in the instructions:

Care must be taken to properly align the tiny surface-mount op-amp before soldering
I find it amazing that anyone would select "surface mount" components for a DIY kit! :lol:
1- No it is not a TW523 replacement nor is it a boosterlinc. It is a point of use amplifier that will amplify the signal of any X-10 transmitter plugged into it to almost unimaginably high levels. This could be a TW523, Ultrasonic Command Console, or whatever.

2- If your not up for the challenge you can pay more and get it fully assembled.

Hi, I just joined so I can answer some of your questions.

The XTB was designed as an amplifier for the TW523 and PSC05 that are used with many high-end automation systems to combat the reliability problems caused by the proliferation of electronic devices in our homes. It plugs between an existing transmitter and the wall socket, and will boost the output only from that transmitter. The XTB has a large power supply, and is capable of driving some significant power onto the AC line.

I don't like installing that surface mount op-amp either, but there just wasn't enough room for an 8-pin dip or TO5 can. The board size was dictated by the case size, and things are a bit tight:

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10xmtbuf/xtb_assembly02.jpg

A few dozen people have successfully assembled the kit.

Jeff

Welcome Jeff. please feel free to correct anything I may have mis-stated about the XTB. I am planning to order a fully assembled unit and was wondering about the waiver. Do I need to print that and mail it to you, or is there a way to fax it, or how does that work?

Hi Upstatemike,

I believe you understand correctly how the XTB works. We don't have a fax, but a scanned printable electronic copy attached to an e-mail will be fine.

Back