ELO TOUCHSCREEN ET1545L-8SWC-1-IBM2 15" LCD

Well maybe send him a message through Ebay and ask if it has shipped and what the tracking number is if so.

I ordered around the same time. I sent Hitech Assets an email this morning and they said they got really swamped last week along with the holiday. They said they would ship my touchscreens out today. Your's should ship today or tomorrow I would think.

So do you guys know knock out a stud when you put this thing in the wall? If it's not a load bearing wall can you remove the section of stud or would the wall become wobbly?

Wobbly wall = ;) WAF

Staying away from studs on this one, it will either be a flip down under cabinet mount or in the cabinet door itself. I have seen notches taken out of non-bearing studs only in pictures and have no idea of the effect on the wall. I imagine that a longer wall would be less likely to wobble.

On a non load bearing wall, notching or cutting a section of stud entirely should have no ill effect. In most cases its just there to hold the drywall up. When I put mine in 4+ years ago I had to cut a whole section of stud out and move some wiring out of the way...

TSstud.JPG

You'd be surprised to learn how much load-bearing structure needs to be removed before something fails catastrophically. Typically, the compromised structure will cause something to deform, sag, or shift over a period of time. It is unlikely you'll see these effects by notching a stud in a NON-load-bearing wall. It is unlikely it will become "wobbly" if you remove a small section of a single stud.

If you have to remove a section of stud (again, for a NON-load-bearing wall) you may want to add two horizontal cross-members, one above and the other below the removed section. The goal is to anchor the severed ends of the stud.

If you have to do this for a load-bearing wall, then you have to copy the framing techniques used for windows and exterior doors. I removed two studs from a load-bearing wall to create a "bump-out" for a fridge. The new opening was reframed like a 30" doorway with doubled studs, doubled 2x6 horizontal cross-members, etc. I used a jack and a short stud to shore up the upper sill-plate while the wall studs were removed. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like you need to go this distance to install the touchscreen. ;)

Of the folks who have gotten a TS from Hitech Assets in the last week or two, did it arrive ok? I've had two screen come from them where the touch panel is not attached to the enclosure.

--Jamie

Of the folks who have gotten a TS from Hitech Assets in the last week or two, did it arrive ok? I've had two screen come from them where the touch panel is not attached to the enclosure.

--Jamie

Wow...the replacement was busted too? I almost pulled the trigger again today...not sure if should ask the wife about a hole in the wall before or after i buy it..lol

Wow...the replacement was busted too? I almost pulled the trigger again today...not sure if should ask the wife about a hole in the wall before or after i buy it..lol

Indeed. I let go with a litany of curses when I lifted the touch screen out of the box and the glass panel damn near fell off. I'm torn whether to pursue this with the seller or just write off the money spent. Does anyone have the sellers contact info. Going through Ebay is an annoyance.

Sorry to hear about the string of bad touchscreens. Mine should arrive tomorrow *crossing fingers* I have only contacted them through email at [email protected] (dash is required). They are very quick to respond during business hours (within 30 min to 1 hour). Their phone number is 405-604-4872. Steven is who I corresponded with through email. He seems to handle their eBay auctions.

With all these problems in just this one thread, I really don't see WHY the vendor does not TEST this product BEFORE it ships! The shipping and handling costs on all the returns has got to be killing them. :) Yikes!

I'm not certain they will consider those to be broken. If it didn't come with a bezel, then it's basically just an LCD monitor with the touch glass "stickied" on the front. The first one I received from them, there was no bezel, and I strung the whole thing up with wires from the ceiling so I could play with it. I came back down a little while later and the touch glass was dangling above the floor by the signal cable. Good thing it held, or I'd have had a floor covered with glass!

If it has a bezel, then the bezel holds the glass in place. But if there is no bezel, then be aware it's only held on by some sticky stuff, and it could easily unsticky under just the normal pull of gravity....so some care has to be given.

But if you have the touch glass in one piece, and it's still attached to the LCD part by the control cable, then just place the glass back on the front of the thing, and it SHOULD still work. You'll just have to take care to secure the glass when you install it in the wall.

Edit: Looking at the link MavRic posted a few pages back, those are the ones without the bezel...so the glass on front is only held on by kind of double-sided weather stripping...almost a tarry gum. Just center it back up on the display, press it down, fire up the ELO software and re-calibrate it, and I think you'll be ok.

Other than that, when I did have to return one (USB connection did not work), I had absolutely no problems. I worked with Stephen, and was very happy with the service they provided....so try to be patient and give them a chance or at least talk to them and see if what you're experiencing is normal or not. They are definitely not a scammer outfit.

BSR, I'd say you're right...but I'm guessing they got these touchscreens *cheap* from salvage, and so selling even 1 probably covers the shipping costs for several. They didn't even bother to have me return my "defective" one. I'd guess shipping probably costs more than the touchscreens did for them.

I agree with beelzerob. It's the bezel that secures the glass. The glass is temporarily held in place by the double-sided tape, so the ones without the bezels are quite likely to arrive with the glass separated from the underlying LCD screen. Just place it back where it belongs and it will work. These are not defects.

When one of my screens arrived, the glass was broken. I called Stephen and he said no problem, he'd ship another. He didn't want the old one back or even to see the pictures I took of the damage. He did explain they acquired 8,000 of these kiosks and has two employees working at dismantling the kiosks, and sometimes they don't notice damage before shipping. I'm very pleased with their service.

Kevin

I understand about the bezel, however, when I use any type of tape to secure the pane, my touch performance goes to hell. I don't know if the tape is interfering with something or what, but I can calibrate it all day and the touch part of the touchscreen works like crap. I take the tape off and it's like night and day. The big problem of course is I need to use the tape to mount it in the wall to get a frame on it to hold the pane down! The picture shows my setup.

P7020146.JPG

Both of the screens I got the double sided foam was not sticky at all. So, if anyone has an idea of how to keep the glass from falling off without using tape so I can get a frame on it I'm all ears. I of course want this to work, plus I have a big hole in my wall that I'm sure I could convince visitors is the new fashion in home decor, I'd rather just have a touchscreen in it.

I wonder if the tape is registering as a continued press? You may need to use some new double sided foam tape so that the contact is on the back of the panel rather than the front "touch" side.

Back