faulty readings on Extended range temp sensor connected to Omnipro

payele

Hi,

I have an Omnipro II setup for my property and recently added an expansion enclosure for my shop - a separate building about 20' from my home.
I ran underground PVC conduit with multiple data cables, one of which is connecting an Extended range temp sensor.

I have power for the sensor coming from the expansion enclosure since its only 6' from the sensor and ran the other other 2 wires to zones 10 and 11 on the main board in the house for a total cable length of approximately 80'.

The humidity seems to be reading about right, but the temp always reads -35 degrees, which is about 25 degrees cooler than actual.

Zone 10 is set as ER Outdoor Temp
Zone 11 is set as humidity

Any ideas?

It looks like you are doing everything correctly.  I assume your firmware is 2.8 or newer, because that is where support for extended temp sensors.  Also you are not added the extended temp sensor to your expansion enclosure, as that isn't supported. 

Extended temp sensors send a modulated signal back to the panel, unlike regular temp sensors that pass a voltage.

You may want to hook the voltage up to the panel and not the expansion console.  I'm not saying its going to fix it, bit its worth a try.  Its best to do so, and the ground voltage at the main panel and expansion console might be different.  Its also possible that is the ER sensor wiring and the expansion console wiring are close together they could pick up noise from each other. 

What I would try is disconnect the ER sensor from its wire, and connect it directly to zone 10.  Does it read any different? If so maybe the wire is getting noise from the adjacent cables.

Yes, I've considered noise from another pair as I am carrying the AB in the same Cat5e. 
What is unusual (to me at least) is that the temp reading does not vary.  Its been the same since I installed it a week ago yet outdoor temp has varied by 20 degrees.

payele said:
Yes, I've considered noise from another pair as I am carrying the AB in the same Cat5e. 
What is unusual (to me at least) is that the temp reading does not vary.  Its been the same since I installed it a week ago yet outdoor temp has varied by 20 degrees.
Not surprising if its interference, or just a bad sensor.

Back