HAI 3.0 firmware

So it seems those of us with the older panels will need to order a new firmware chip to get to the 3.0 firmware level.

Does that mean we will always need to purchase new firmware chips at each upgrade? I'm guessing flash circuitry is't really a field-upgrade....

Correct - If you want the features that are contained in any new release and have a controller that does not have the flash RAM, you will have to purchase an upgrade chip. Note that if you don't want or need the latest features, you don't have to upgrade your controller because it'll still be supported.

I'm very interested in upgrading to the 3.0 firmware but, in the event i run into any problems, I want to make sure that there is no issue w/ reverting back to 2.16A on a flash-based OP2. Is reverting as easy as upgrading?

I'm very interested in upgrading to the 3.0 firmware but, in the event i run into any problems, I want to make sure that there is no issue w/ reverting back to 2.16A on a flash-based OP2. Is reverting as easy as upgrading?

All you'll need to do to revert back is just flash the controller again with the 2.16A firmware. It's just as easy as flashing to 3.0!

All you'll need to do to revert back is just flash the controller again with the 2.16A firmware. It's just as easy as flashing to 3.0!

great news, thanks for the prompt reply! to the extent that i use the newer 3.0 features, what will happen when i revert? should i upload an older version of my settings and programming following (or prior to?) a downgrade?

great news, thanks for the prompt reply! to the extent that i use the newer 3.0 features, what will happen when i revert? should i upload an older version of my settings and programming following (or prior to?) a downgrade?

Well if you do decide to revert back to 2.16A, you'll definetly lose any of the new features that have been added. I'm not 100% sure if your settings and programs would remain intact in the controller after a downgrade, I'll have to check on that. I would keep a backup copy of my current PCA2 file. With a new copy of it, upgrade it to PCA3, then download 3.0 to the controller. That way if you like it great (I can't imagine why you wouldn't), but if you decide to downgrade, you could just download 2.16A, then write your backup copy of your PCA2 file to the controller.

Well if you do decide to revert back to 2.16A, you'll definetly lose any of the new features that have been added. I'm not 100% sure if your settings and programs would remain intact in the controller after a downgrade, I'll have to check on that. I would keep a backup copy of my current PCA2 file. With a new copy of it, upgrade it to PCA3, then download 3.0 to the controller. That way if you like it great (I can't imagine why you wouldn't), but if you decide to downgrade, you could just download 2.16A, then write your backup copy of your PCA2 file to the controller.

OK thanks Aaron! I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issue writing the PCA2 file back to the controller after a downgrade.

So it seems those of us with the older panels will need to order a new firmware chip to get to the 3.0 firmware level.

Does that mean we will always need to purchase new firmware chips at each upgrade? I'm guessing flash circuitry is't really a field-upgrade....

Correct - If you want the features that are contained in any new release and have a controller that does not have the flash RAM, you will have to purchase an upgrade chip. Note that if you don't want or need the latest features, you don't have to upgrade your controller because it'll still be supported.

I have a 2.15A chip. My Dealer-PC-Access 3.0-Communications-Firmware Upgrade option is greyed out and won't let me upgrade the firmware to 3.0. I just had my Aegis 3000 board revamped to an OmniProII, current chip, etc. a year ago, just before the PC Access 3.0 upgrade was announced, but, obviously, with the delay, its now a year. Do I need a new chip? Where do I get it? And, am I going to have to pay again?

I have the sheet of instructions for swapping out the chip and it looks pretty straight forward i.e. power down the board, pop the chip out, put the new one in, and power back up.

Thanks...

Back