HAI Email/Text Notifications

lvmikel

Hi all.
Can someone please let me know the simplest way to get email/text (either SMS text or text via email) working on my Omni iie?

I have snaplink on my android phone and Dealer PCAccess on a PC.

I know about the email notifier board, but it just seems like a simple feature that's not worth spending $150+ dollars on...

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

You will find more stuff posting under this section of the Cocoontech Forum.

I utilize three means here.  Personally playing with 4,5,6,7

1 - central station monitoring email / text notifications
2 - Homeseer home automation software
3 - very simple DOS based application posted here by an HAI user called hailogger.exe.
It optionally talks to a mysql DB.  It is one way except for time syncing and you can set a variety of notifications via a few means.  I have it running today in Wine
4 - Arduino and Omni PRO II via serial - posted here.
5 - OpenHab OmniLink Bindings - posted here.
6 - HAI Omni Notification system and more - posted here.

7 - Playing with:
Currrently have a modded TP-Link microrouter connected to the OP II panel.  It has two NICs (using both today), Wireless 802.11X and 3G/4G/LTE (via a modem) connectivity along with a serial port connection to the OPII panel.  Thing is that its a bit lite running at 400Mhz with small base kernel and not much play space to do a whole lot.  You can expand a bit via a USB port.  I also have purchased a daughter board for it with more expansion pieces and maybe getting an RTC clock to run on it.  It's tiny as about 3" square and about 1" tall and currently uses the panel for power.  Its a tad light to run as a lamp server (well almost).  Very reasonably priced on sale at Amazon for $20 USD.  Doing email  / serial stuff is the easy pieces; memory and workspace is a limiting factor.

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2014-12-26 08:25:55 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r43771)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
TP-Link.jpg

Currently went off to playing with a mini Atom based tiny mini PC with 2Gb of RAM and 32 Gb play space which is a bit more than the microrouter.  It is though closer to $100 and includes a Windows 8.1 license, one NIC, WLAN, Bluetooth.

Pete_C, Wow...i had no idea people were doing this type of stuff with the omni. I might play around a bit with 4,5,6,7. I was a programmer for years before moving into management.... Thanks! Mike

Does the email notification board work? I have one installed and it doesnt seem to do anything. I have the latest FW on both the board and the Omni Pro, Im using the same credentials that are working on my AMX processor and yes I could send the emails through AMX but the notifications board worked it would be so much simpler.

So does it work? Should it be working based on experience if all my parameters/credentials are correct? Or is it a POS and I shouldnt be wasting time? The money is one thing but Im more concerned about wasting time at this point which can easily end up costing more then tue board.

I've also had issues with this. My dealer installed it last year and was required to program it as well because the full functionality does not seem to show up in the end user version of pc access. As a result, when trying to set up messages I have not been able to get it to work. I'll ask my dealer the next time he's here.

You have to update the firmware on the email board which is really kind of slow as the Ethernet port faces your network and there is a serial port which connects to your OmniPro panel.  Once it is configured with the latest firmware and via PCA dealer version then you should be good to go.

While Google and most free email accounts today typical use encryption that the HAI email board (or ELK email board) don't support, you will have much better luck registering your own domain, then getting a hosting company to provide email support for it. Hostgator, GoDaddy, or millions of other providers can do this for you.  Were talking maybe $40-50 / year for a domain name and email account.  Since you OWN the email domain, you have much greater control over its settings, and its much more reliable than the big guys which change things weekly. I use HostGator with the HAI email board and have for years without ever missing an email. It gives you so much more freedom too, in that you can have this email for life, assuming you pay the bills.

Yeah here own my own domain / email service BUT still utilize Microsoft and or Gmail for automation / alarm stuff utilizing STunnel which you can install on any computer that is on 24 / 7 running Windows or Linux...IE: like an RPi.

Back