Hobby-boards barometer and humidity/temp sensor

phalanx

Hello!

I am quite new to using 1-wire sensors to build up a weather station.

I have the 1-wire USB adaptor, 4-channel hub, anemometer controller board with the Inspeed anemometer and wind-wane, 1 temperature sensor, 1 barometer and 1 humidity/temp sensor. I also purchased the universal AC adaptor.

I am using Weather Display, and am having some trouble to work out how to get input from all sensors. It seems as the Dallas 1-wire reader is only able to get data from the temperature sensor and anemometer controller board.

When I connect the barometer I get a ROM ID, the same also with the humidity/temp sensor.

Question: Should the humidity/temp sensor give me 1 or 2 ROM IDs? When I connect the anemometer controller board I get 2 ROM IDs, one for the speed and one for direction. But for hum/temp I only get one ID.

I do not manage to get any data from the barometer when I enter the ID into the barometer field. I have read that I have to enter the barometer V max and min and hpa max and min. Were do I get these values? Have written hobby-boards, but no response.

Anyone also who can tell me where in the Dallas 1-wire reader I should enter the different sensors ROM ID?

One final question - anyone who know if it possible to get a 1-wire solar sensor and UV-sensor that I can connect to my 1-wire network? Have asked HB the question by e-mail, but also there no response.

Kriz

Welcome to Cocoontech Kriz.

Here oldest 1-wire network is still utilizing an old Temp-05 device.  (note here have multiple Temp-0X devices, Maxim 1-wire serial and USB devices on separate networks / runs).

I have a Dallas DS9097 which I have used for the Maxim 1-wire viewer.  I can move the below 1-wire network to said sensor to see the devices using the Maxim 1-wire viewer.

What I see the the old Temp-05 1-wire network is:

Reading Sensors...
Humidity #01[9600000014CAB326]=53%
Barometer #01[BD000000AEF4A726]=29.50 inHg
Temp #01[9300080013572410]=66.52F
Temp #02[BD000000AEF4A726]=88.14F
Temp #03[9600000014CAB326]=66.65F
Temp #04[7B0008001356AE10]=67.87F
Temp #05[0D00080013544A10]=74.96F

01 9300080013572410 DS1820 OK
02 BD000000AEF4A726 DS2438 OK B
03 9600000014CAB326 DS2438 OK H
04 7B0008001356AE10 DS1820 OK
05 0D00080013544A10 DS1820 OK

Update interval = 01 minutes
Relay off timer = 00 minutes
Temp display = F
Serial # display = Y
Wind dirn reverse = N
Debug = N
Some temp sensors Parasitic powered
Qty of DS1820=03
Qty of DS1822=00
Qty of DS18B2=00
Qty of DS2438=02

Should the humidity/temp sensor give me 1 or 2 ROM IDs?

one - note above stuff

I have read that I have to enter the barometer V max and min and hpa max and min. Were do I get these values?

The above Barometer is a Hobby Boards device.  Thinking now it is their first generation 1-wire barometer device.   I have never done anything with it.  I do recall there is some methodology of calibration of it.  I did check it over 10 years ago once and never did touch it afterwards.

Just looking at the Davis Weather console I do see a different Barometric pressure here.  It is 30.10

That means I should adjust mine.  I do not see the HB calculator online and did find some other references including a calculator.  Not sure if it will work.

Here are the old instructions which are probably different now for your Barometer.  I am posting them here to remind me to make the adjustment to my 1-wire barometer. 

Barometer 1.0 installation.

Barometer V2 and V3 installation

HB Barometer Document 2014

1. Install the Barometer on your 1-Wire network.
2. Go to the Barometer Calibration Calculator on our website, enter your altitude (in feet).
3. The Pressure Low and Pressure High values in the calculator default to typical values, but you are given the option to set these yourself if you prefer.
4. Clear the Offset Voltage field, and click the “Update” button. The calculator will re-calculate the needed Offset Voltage according to your elevation. Keep this number handy, you will use it in the next steps.
5. On your barometer board, remove the jumper from pins 2 & 3, and move it to the calibration setting (pins 1 & 2).
6. This step requires the OneWireViewer from Dallas. (We’re assuming you know how to use the 1
- Wire viewer. If you do not, please see the instructions on Dallas’s site.) Open the 1-Wire viewer, and select the DS2438 from the device list. Click on the “A to D” tab, and look at the voltage reading for “Channel 1”. Using a small screwdriver, adjust the resistor labeled R4 until the voltage shown in the viewer matches the
Offset Voltage from the Calibration Calculator. Adjust this resistor slowly, it normally does not require much to obtain the desired Offset Voltage.
7. Once done, remove the jumper from pins 1 & 2 and replace it on pins 2 & 3. Let the Barometer run for a few days while you track it using a local weather station as your baseline. At this point, your Hobby Boards Barometer should match the weather station to within a few hundredths of an inch of mercury. To achieve further precision, your software should offer additional calibration options.

One final question - anyone who know if it possible to get a 1-wire solar sensor and UV-sensor that I can connect to my 1-wire network?

For a one wire guesstimate I use a temperature sensor in a sealed jar outside. 

Here is a DIY 1-wire UV / Solar data device.

How to Make the Sky IR Sensors + UV ,Solar,Light

Someone on internetlandia has been able to make a Davis Solar Radiation device that works replicating the Davis device.

Hello Pete!
Thank you very much for the reply, I will continue to try to enter the hum/temp romid and see if I can mange to get Weather Display to read it

I have read a post here where Eric from Hobby Boards tells someone that it seem as if their calibartioan calculator did not follow when they upgraded or moved their pages, and in that post he gives an e-mail address where you can send your altitude and they will run the calibartion for you. However, Hobby boards does not seem to respond to e-mails

I will try to make the 1-wire UV/Solar and maybe try to put together a Sky sensor

I will make an entry later when I have tried to see if I manage to get the hum/temp to work now in first place

best regards
Kriz

Yup; whatever you see with the Dallas Maxim 1-Wire tool (Java OneWireViewer) you should see in Weather Display.

You have me looking at my 1-wire barometer.  Yesterday compared the value to the Davis Weather station / Internet barometer values and they are all a bit different...such that I do not know which one is right.

Yesterday looked on the Hobby Boards website and do not see a barometer calculator there.

I have attached two calculators / two spreadsheets used with HB Barometers specified above in one of the links.

View attachment simulators.zip

Your software drivers for the 1wire must support each specific sensor chip. There are no generic drivers and 1wire chips can be really different interfaces and protocols, even different bit speeds on communications.

If your board doesn't specify your exact 1wire IC model it probably won't read it.

When I discoennect all sensors but the barometer and pushes "save/reset" on Dallas 1 Wire reader, it returns:
"Hobby-boards soil moisture or HUB found, ID C7000015207086EF"

When I only have the Humidity/temp device connected it returns:
"Hobby-boards soil moisture or HUB found, ID 860000152064BCEF"

And if I have only the master hub connected it returns:
"Hobby-boards soil moisture or HUB found, ID 8D0000152088FBEF"

Question: In HUB setup, should I tick of for "HUB attached" or for "4 channel vers2 HUB in use", or for both?

I have been trying out both sollutions, but not sure wich is correct. The HUB I have got is the Hobby Boards 4-ch master HUB

Both the humidity/temp and the barometer are the new ones from Hobby Boards - do you know if they are compatible with Dallas 1 wire reader vers 5.7?

The screenshot is with only master hub and humidity/temp sensor connected

I assume that the hum/temp rom id (860000152064BCEF) is to be entered for both "Main tempeature ROM" and "Main Humidity ROM", and that it is correct to enter the barometer ROM ID (C7000015207086EF) in the barometer field. Are there any other places I have to insert something to make it work? Or is it only that Dallas 1 wire reader vers 5.7 can't read the new HB sensors?

I have planned on getting the Rain sensor and the soli/leaf wetness sensor from HB, but this gives me some concerns that I should look for an other supplier, and maybe a supllier who anwer question for their customers.

I am also considering to get a barometer from an other 1-wire supplier - any reccomendations, that will work with Dallas 1 wire reader?

To Pete and LarrylLix: Thanks for the replies so far

Note: The old HB temperature sensor set up as "Extra temp 1" works good, same with the wind dir and speed

hb.jpg

Yes here have never used a Hobby Boards 4 channel Hub.

I use Dallas / Maxim USB / serial devices and Midon Temp-05 and Temp-08 devices for my multiple 1-Wire networks.  Old stuff that still works fine for me (~ 20 years old).

The Midon Temp-0X has firmware to read the 1-Wire devices and sees everything using a generic terminal program to look at what is connected.

The Dallas / Maxim USB and Serial devices (9097 serial/USB) see everything using the most current Dallas 1-Wire viewers.

I do not know how Weather Display communicates to the 1-Wire network.  I have never used Weather Display.

Here I utilize Cumulus weather software and Davis Weather / Fine Offset stations. Homeseer automation software / plugins to access the Wintel 1-Wire networks. (AAG Anemometer, 1-Wire environmental sensors).

I am now starting to switch over to Linux from the Wintel 1-wire stuff as it is included in the Ubuntu 14.04 builds these days.

One of the reasons I got the HUB was to use it as a power injector, and also the way I planned to build up the network.

Plan is to use one channel for the sensor that will be installed in the attic and on the roof (anemoter, lighning detector and hum/temp), one channel for sensors that will be installed in the garden (extra temp, rain gauge and soil/leaf wetness), and one channel for other sensors indoor

At the moement is seem as it is only the new HB baromete and hum/temp that are making a fuzz

And - should I enter the entire rom id or just the final bits?

One of the reasons I got the HUB was to use it as a power injector, and also the way I planned to build up the network.

Yup here utilize the Hobby Boards 1-Wire power injector (old) for one 1-Wire network.

Here many many years ago wired up my 1-Wire sensors in a star type topology (not recommended to day).  I have added some in a hub and spoke methodology.

All of the Cat5e 1-wire wires go to a regular CatXX punch panel.  From the category 5 punch panel I wire the devices to the Temp-0X or the Maxim 1-wire serial devices.

Plan is to use one channel for the sensor that will be installed in the attic and on the roof (anemometer, lightning detector and hum/temp), one channel for sensors that will be installed in the garden (extra temp, rain gauge and soil/leaf wetness), and one channel for other sensors indoor

I do similar with old RS-232 1-Wire networks.  This is though very different from using the Hobby Boards Hub.

And - should I enter the entire rom id or just the final bits?

The only time you need to adjust any values and I personally have never done this is with the HB Barometer base values.  Mine came adjusted and I checked it to be fine at the time.  Not sure now though.

The ROM ID is just that and you cannot really change it.  The Barometer configuration relates to voltage values for elevation over sea level.

The only software that I know to do this is the Maxim 1-wire viewer.  If the Weather display software doesn't see the 1-Wire devices then they are not on the network or the software doesn't know how to see them.

Start by first shutting off your weather display software.

Then look at your 1-wire devices with the Maxim 1-wire viewer.  Make sure it sees everything.  If it does then your Weather Station software should see the same.  If it does not then you will need to write to the author of the software.

@Kriz

Your endeavor got me testing a new 1-wire thing here using a network connected RPi with multiple 1-wire networks connected to it.

Currently my 1-wire networks all utilize Cat5 cabling punched down to patch panels in the basement and connected there to the 1-wire controllers which is easy stuff.  A remotely connected POE powered RPi would let me extend the 1-wire network using one POE networked cable and one RPi.  Really just a different mechanism / hardware methodology of using 1-Wire stuff.

I do have a few 1-wire sensors on the second floor here.  I mix them with Leviton/HAI wired temperature/humidity sensors and utilize the values from both for my automation stuff.

Here is a combo HAI temperature  / humidity read from one bedroom.

hai-mbstuff.jpg

Works great so far on one RPi2 I have mounted in the attic with two 1-wire temperature sensors and 1 1-wire humidity sensor.

I have found now that 1-wire GPIO cards are being made that would fit nicely inside of an RPi.

The RPi's just write the 1-wire data to a text file which can be read from any device on the network.  

You can also adjust what is written very easily.

Here is a text file that is very simple and get's updated every minute or so. 

Aug 18 07:25:03 Sensor 0 C: 20.25 F: 68.45
Aug 18 07:25:03 Sensor 1 C: 19.94 F: 67.89 H: 68%

attic.jpg

Back