HST Releases PRO-100 Home Automation Controller

I'm having trouble understanding how this box will make Homeseer more robust?
Isnt this simply a PC without a hard drive?
Will the PRO 100 run a proprietary operating system, or will it run Windows XP?

I don't know about "robust" per se, but since everybody will be using the exact same hardware and OS and it is preloaded at the HST "factory", everybody will at least be consistent. Which should make issues more easily reproducible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Embedded
http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/getstart/default.aspx

Windows XP Embedded offers many advantages. You get an XP based system, but doesn't have the overhead of regular services. You 'build' the OS with the components you need for your application. People are even using XP Embedded in CarPC's now, but as the first URL will show, it's used in a lot of equipment.

The VIA platform with a 1GHZ cpu should be plenty for Homeseer. I did VR, TTS, GPS and much more, all simultaneously on a M10000 Mini-ITX board, using only 256 megs of ram, and XP Pro (converting to XPe was the next thing on my list, but I sold the CarPC).

What about scripts? Sure the plugins may be preloaded but I am sure they have left the ability to write your own scripts. HomeSeers scripting engine is very flexible and can play havoc on the system if you write a script that the system does not like. So I guess you would have to be a PRO at using HomeSeer in order for it to maintain its stability.

Another thing that I noticed about the system is that it does not seem to be rack mountable or mountable in a panel like the ELK or the Ocelot. I would think that most PRO installs would have some sort of structured wiring cabinet that they would want to mount the system in.

If indeed the O/S is windows XP embedded, where does the increased reliablilty come from when comparing to a full Winndows XP, running exactly the same application? The footprint may be smaller, and there would be no chance of running ANOTHER application that may screw with stability, but Winders is Winders.

Time will tell how stable it is.

My HS machine is running XP and it hasn't been rebooted in months. I've only ever rebooted when I've made configuration changes that required it. The OS has never crashed or required a reboot.

If you remove the extra things from the OS, do you expect it to become less reliable?

I think that is my point... the reliablilty of Homeseer is not tied to the reliablilty of the O/S. I almost never have to reboot an XP machine due to issues.

So where does this extra bulletproof reliability come from?

eXP doesn't contribute anything to the stability of this system over a regular XP system which is set up correctly and left alone. The stability of the system will depend on the automation hardware on it. The benefits of eXP are smaller footprint, quicker boot times, easier to put on a solid state disk because you can strip out some stuff you don't need, less memory usage if you strip out stuff, etc... It also has a lower per-machine price if you are moving it in some reasonable quantities.

But the actual use of the machine and OS requires application software that targets the job you want to do. If that isn't stable, then the other stuff is irrelevant. You can't destroy the OS image or the application image, since it's on a solid state disk, and you can always just reboot it and you know it'll come back up OK (modulo any configuration data that you can change and might be able to hose.) But if the application software crashes, then it crashes and it will do the same on XP or eXP.

The big thing is that you have to limit disk activity if you want to have a long lifetime, because the solid state disks do wear out. Each byte position has a limited number of writes. The disks are smart these days and move data around to spread around the wear, but if you (for instance) log to disk, and you have some bug that just starts logging rapidly and it goes on for a month, then you could put some serious wear on the solid state disk.

We will also offer an eXP system, but we are going to start off first with a standard disk-based system, in the same system that we will also offer the eXP version. That way, we can get some experience in a less hard-wired system that can be more easily upgraded in the field as we work out the configuration.

What the XPembedded discussion is neglecting to mention is that Homeseer2 is very stable on many machines (mine included). What has affected stability issues with HS2 and some user's systems for the most part is 3rd party plugin issues, 3rd party application influences, and OS setup issues.

The Pro-100 is packaged completely by Homeseer and is tested to not have these issues. Dean's casual mention of "which is set up correctly and left alone" is a very key issue. XP is very stable, under those circumstances. XPEmbedded doesn't allow for anyone to mess with it, which drastically increases stability and reliability levels.

Seems to me, David If the plug-in is purchased from HST, with funds going to HST, then it is HST's responsibility to ensure the correct opreration of said plug-in's.

If it is not, then why does HST offer these "offending" plug-ins? For fun? I was wholly against pay for plug-ins. Homeseer provided this avenue, and now needs to apply ways to mitigate problems that a renegade plug-in may cause. This is NOT and end users job. The situation would be ENTIRELY different if things were like they were 6 years ago. If someones free script produced errors, you said "oh well" and moved on. Unfortunately the bed has already been made.

My system has only a FEW HST endorsed plug-ins, because they are required for my home automation system to function.

Homeseer could run for years on end, and it would not matter to me if I could not run the paid plug-in that controls the X-10 interface.

There is nothing wrong with my Windows installation. It is Homeseer and Homeseer alone that messes up about 4 times a day. Simply running eXP will not fix a broken program.

BTW even with our own informal survey here, there were less than 50% that reported Homeseer operating properly.

Sorry... ya got me a bit off topic. :unsure:

David..

If this PRO -100 is setup and closed by HST, then how does a PRO installer add scripts, and extras?

Customizable Software
The system software is totally customizable, including the user interface.  An API (Application Programming Interface Specification) is available that allows for the creation of custom software “plug-insâ€. These plug-ins allow the software to be extended to support custom hardware. The system also includes a scripting interface that supports the popular scripting languages such as VBScript, JavaScript, and Perl. Scripts are a quick way to add custom functionality such as complex if-then-else logic, or for sending binary or ASCII text to a serial port. The user interface and custom interfaces are built or modified using simple web (HTML) technologies.

I am not passing judgement on this hardware. All I want is an explaination HOW this box is more reliable than a brand new XP machine? Not how well it fits somewhere, or how many fans it has.

Back