Inexpensive Touch screens

MrGibbage

Anyone seen a good, inexpensive touch screen for sale anywhere? I know that I want to go to a CQC system, and it just seems like overkill to put a full blown computer in at each remote operating station. I'm probably looking in the 10 inch range. 640x480 would probably be just fine.

MrGibbage said:
I was wondering if something like this or this would work.
Ebay does have a bunch of these if you search for "lcd pos touch screen", including screens up to 18 inches for under $300. Anyone ever try to use one of these for HA applications?
Another option is the Fujitsu Stylistic, either the 3400 or the 3500.

Lots of them on ebay.

Larry in Denver

We have a Viewsonic Airpanel 100 for $200 that supports remote display. Even through in the wireless card.

Also new to all of this. Narrowing in on Elk or HAI and looking at touchscreen options. Can you tell me the difference between a "remote display" touchscreen vs. the new Elk CE based touchscreen vs. an in-wall PC like the Nobu vs. RedRadio UTMA touchscreen. Is it better to have all the software on one PC (that I assume must be on all the time) or have individual units like the new Elk that have their own software and I assume are 'off' most of the time until you use it?

Also, on another related topic, to use the Elk and the HAI for home automation as well as security, do they both require a dedicated computer running all the time as a home automation server?

Thanks,

Ginny

ginnytr said:
Also, on another related topic, to use the Elk and the HAI for home automation as well as security, do they both require a dedicated computer running all the time as a home automation server?
Not a requirement, but many of us do add a 24/7 PC for more advanced features. It all depends upon what you want to do. For many non-geeky people, the Elk/HAI/JDS panel will do all they want.

An Airpanel or other RDP solution is a remote view / control over an application running on a faster, remote PC (server). Hardware is plugged into the server.

A PanelPC has an operating system (usually XPEmbedded or Linux) with a low to medium powered processor. Usually mounts in wall. Can have hardware plugged into it.

The ELK touchscreen runs CE OS (fast boot, little risk for software corruption, low cpu needed) with a low powered cpu.

A "touchscreen dumb monitor" is a LCD with a touchscreen overlay that connects to a PC via cables.

The latest is a touchscreen that connects via CAT5 wire to a PC.

Here's my cocoontech post with pics about my 3400 tablet PC.. The cost was $310 all-in, and even that was more than it needed to be as I spent $250 on the 3400, whereas I could have gotten it for $200 or less had I been patient on eBay. The reason I prefer it is that it can run W2K or XP. This allows me to stay away from RDP, and i've heard of issues with wifi dropouts with that.

Also somewhat depends on the size you are after. I also do not like RDP for dedicated use. David summed them up well and they all have their pros and cons. I love my 15" all glass ELO, but is does require a PC/laptop to drive it. The panel PC's like the Nobu work well for an all in one unit. The UTMA screen that Dwayne (RedRadio) is working on looks like it has a lot of potential. The CE based screens like the new Elk are nice also and still allow you to use software like ElkRM, CQC and Mainlobby to create graphic rich consoles. I think your size choice, mounting location and budget will help steer you to the right choice.

I really need something that will look professional (high WAF) when mounted, which probably means flush mounted or close to it. IVB, do you think you could have made the 3400 flush mounted better? Can the screen be removed from the housing? Steve, is your ELO flush mounted? Can you attach a picture of it?

I really need something that will look professional (high WAF) when mounted, which probably means flush mounted or close to it.
Ah, then I would NOT recommend the 3400. I got it b/c the wife wasn't sold that a remote touchscreen would be valuable.

My hope is that for the next touchscreen in the living room, I can somehow convince her to dump the big $$ on the RedRadio UTMA screen, and I can make it look real professional.

MrGibbage said:
I really need something that will look professional (high WAF) when mounted, which probably means flush mounted or close to it. IVB, do you think you could have made the 3400 flush mounted better? Can the screen be removed from the housing? Steve, is your ELO flush mounted? Can you attach a picture of it?
Look for the headrest mounts on the CarPC site. These style units come with a headrest mount that mounts into the headrest/wall and look very professional. Like this one:
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.p...&products_id=47

Back