Insteon Keypads

Mike

Has anyone found a good paper to match the keypad lincs? The light bleeds through the ones that are included. Just seems that something else might work better. Has anyone gone through this already and can recommend a paper weight that worked well? If not ill try to experiment.

I used a Brother P-Touch ProDX printer to make KeypadLinc labels and think they look much better than labels printed on paper.

They have different colored tapes that you can buy, but white lettering on black looks good.

You can see the results on my website linked in the signature (the first picture in the slideshow on the home page is a close-up).

Cheers,
Paul

Mike,

It's a 1/2" tape with 9pt Arial Narrow font.

I had to trim the tape on both sides to get a good fit, but only took a few minutes and I'm really pleased with the results...

Backing was left on the labels so they aren't stuck in place.

Paul

I also rather prefer white lettering against a black background...maybe because I have brushed steel wallplates?

Glossy brochure paper has worked well for me. I tried it simply because I had some on-hand. You don't get the paper grain bleed-thru that you see with plain paper.

I also print on transparencies when I want to use a colored icon. I back it with some plain paper (otherwise the LED comes through too clearly). I like using color for buttons that need to "pop-out" for guests....like the button to unlock the front door.

Speaking of Keypadlincs, I noticed that Automated Outlet is carrying a casing that converts them into table controllers....apparently made for UPB switches but also works Insteon.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...&cat=160&page=1

I couldn't resist. I ordered one in black.

mwhistle said:
I like using color for buttons that need to "pop-out"
Same here. In the MBR I have a KPL in 8-button mode to control various lights in the house. All the buttons are blue except #2 which is red. That is the "911" button. If I am gone, or even if I'm not, my wife can press one easily seen button and turn on every light inside and outside.

Herdfan said:
SmartLabsMike said:
That does look good.  I may have to try that out at home.  ;)
Or maybe add custom engraved keys to the product line. :D
That will take some time to perfect unless you have some suggestions and/or companies that do this sort of thing? :blink:

SmartLabsMike said:
That will take some time to perfect unless you have some suggestions and/or companies that do this sort of thing?
No idea where they come from, but here is an example:

http://www.litetouch.com/content.aspx?pg=2301

It would be nice if SH could offer a standard set of common buttons such as Kitchen, Porch, All ON/OFF etc.

And then make custom keypads available. SH might not even have to be involved except to the extent of taking the order. I am sure there are companies that do this sort of thing. Here is a listing google turned up:

http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/prod...od_code=2785200

Soemthing like this would really move Insteon upscale to help compete with Litetouch and Lutron (who also offers custom engravings.)

I've done some work with a CO2 laser in the past that could do this quite nicely. It's basically a carbon dioxide laser mounted on what looks like a plotter. You can send it anything that you can send to a printer, changing the colors alters the laser power (depth of cut), so you could engrave or cut all the way through certain materials.

I think the startup cost for this equipment is reasonable these days, but I expect it may be difficult for Smarthome to make a profit doing this?

Seems like the logistics of taking the orders, getting them manufactured and then back to the customer for a reasonable fee wouldn't leave much room for profit???

Paul

pkoslow said:
I think the startup cost for this equipment is reasonable these days, but I expect it may be difficult for Smarthome to make a profit doing this?
Yes it would definitely be something outsourced. SH would just take the order and send it off to companies that do this on a daily basis. They could have some common ones made that they sell as a package.

And even if they don't make a dime doing it, it enhances the Insteon product line.

Herdfan said:
And even if they don't make a dime doing it, it enhances the Insteon product line.
INSTEON is the technology behind the product. V2, if so considered, is the product line as well as Icon. ;)

And yes, we have begun looking at custom engraving of keypads and even switch paddles. At this point we are in evaluation mode to see if it is feasible.

Back