IPad Thoughts

murlyns

Hi

I have had my elk M1 up and running 3 or 4 years now have been overall happy with it performance Security and lighting, Heating, Vacuum all (UPB). I have how ever been slow in taking up touch screens like the ELK-TS071/070 as I have been concerned with integration issues with IP cams and emerging tech (home entertainment)..simply I do not want multiple screens...I want all dancing and singing from just one box! I have recently added a Synology disk station DS210J to my system that controls my Security Cams, play's my music and streams my video via WDTVLIVE to my TV's. At present I can access all of this via the internet and the Synology system has DScam and DSPhoto as apps for the Iphone and Itouch...and soon IPAD. I am aware of the Iphone app for the ELK system but as I understand it is not supported by ELK... Now to my question is elk looking at some sort of Iphone/Ipad app that they will be supporting?

Just though I would through this out for comment!

Thanks

You are correct. eKeypad is not officially supported directly by ELK, but it is as close as it can get. I take great pride in the support I provide for eKeypad and I work closely with ELK to ensure eKeypad works flawlessly with both the M1 and EZ8 panels.

A good example of my close relationship with Elk can be seen in the most recent firmware update. It contains both bug fixes and enhancements that originated from eKeypad usage. Several of the updates in the API specifically will allow me to more tightly integrate eKeypad with the Elk.

The iPhone and iTouch platforms are great mobile devices and will continue to be popular, but I also believe the iPad represents an opportunity to take eKeypad to a different level. I am already working on iPad specific enhancements that will take the eKeypad platform to new levels of usability. I am also confident that my relationship with Elk will continue into the iPad version of eKeypad.

If you have the opportunity to attend either EHX or ISC West at the end of March come by the Elk booth. Elk and I are working to have copies of eKeypad on display that you can see in action and play with.

Thks for the response Jay,

I will be looking forward to what you can do with the IPad...Apple has developed what seems to be a great piece of hardware All I need as a end user is great software that both I can use and Other's (my wife). Which needs to include In Home use (no password except when system is armed away on local Lan) and remote...I do extensive travel.

I think the IPad will be a great addition to the home automation gadgets.

On a side note, I just bought the ekeypad that Jay developed two days ago. It works really well, and I am quite impressed. I have even tried some insteon light switches with it, and found it extremely responsive.

Great job Jay

Thanks
kev

I too have been curious how the iPad might fit into home automation. Here's a thread I've been watching over at AVS that has some interesting commentary. I suspect we aren't really going to learn too much until someone gets their hands on one and actually tries integrating it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1221706

Then, there are the other "pads" due out this year, each a little bit different from the other.

Great thread some other software that I am looking at is http://www.eyecontec.com. I am sure that you are right about after it is relased we will see more...It just seems like it might be the right touch screen for HA, Security, AV..and price point is right! has someone come up with a wall mount yet?

To me a great addition would be if ekeypad could integrate the Remote application features so that it could control the full Apple ecosystem (AppleTV, and airport express).

Any chance that this is on the roadmap?

I will have to look into this. I will ultimately come down to whether these interfaces are public or private.

To me a great addition would be if ekeypad could integrate the Remote application features so that it could control the full Apple ecosystem (AppleTV, and airport express).

Any chance that this is on the roadmap?

Back