Is This Computer Worth $226?

Just an update... FedEx's site shows "On truck for delivery". So here I sit, next to my dog, looking out the sliding glass door at anything that sounds like a truck as it goes by :)

Thinking a bit further... As I get a lot of stuff FedEx......I should slap a motion sensor somewhere inconspicious on the truck when she's not looking :(

JohnWPB said:
Just an update... FedEx's site shows "On truck for delivery". So here I sit, next to my dog, looking out the sliding glass door at anything that sounds like a truck as it goes by :)

Thinking a bit further... As I get a lot of stuff FedEx......I should slap a motion sensor somewhere inconspicious on the truck when she's not looking :(
Sounds like a perfect scenario to use those RFID vehicle sensors that are over at iAutomate :p

I'm sure FedEx wouldn't mind...

Received mine at the office this AM.

To be listed as a "Grade B" refurb, I'm impressed. All case trim present, no scratches on the case or anything. Pristene condition.

The Power Supply brick does show minor scatches, probably it was left on the floor in it's prior use.

The Power Supply is rated 12 Volt 7.65 Amp 19 volt 2.8 Amp

Nice and hardy.

I did connect a monitor and keyboard to power up, it is a brand new install of XP Pro. Decided to wait until I get home tonight to do the XP install setup.

I'm impressed so far.

Nice, hell, the XP Pro license along would cost you around $124, so a PC for $100?

It's a Pentium 4 with a 478 socket, so I wonder what kind of upgrade it would support cpu wise... Then again it probably wouldn't need an upgrade for the majority of uses its planned for. The RAM is the one area that would be improved by upgrading (512MB seems to be the right 'minimum' these days from what I've seen, especially with XP).

It says Windows XP, Preinstalled w.COA. Did it come with the actual discs? Ans if so, are they OEM discs or regular WinXP?

FedEx just sent me an email that mine is waiting for me at home. The shipping status link provided in the Geeks.com email is apparently cached & useless. It still has the last entry on Sept 8 as "loaded on trailer" & "departed geeks warehouse" from San Diego CA. Manually take the tracking number and put it in the FedEx site or Google. FedEx's site shows it was "picked up" in Memphis TN on the 12th. Must be magic how it got from CA to TN?

Mine just arrived a few minutes ago. I have to agree with John Bullard on this one, to be listed as "Class B" it is in perfect condition. No scratches, blemishes, and all trim/parts are in place.

In the Box:

- PC
- Standard 3ft PC power cable
- Laptop style power supply
- Invoice

There is no CD included with it. On the side of the computer however is the official MS sticker with the MS Key, so I will just copy my XP Pro Disk and use that with the PC as I DO own the original licence to XP Pro.

ALl in all a great little PC for the money for sure. Now to get the rest of the stuff to turn it into a CarPC. This would also make a very nice replacement for a HomeSeer Server......

Here is a Collage of Pictures I just took of the PC, it shows the PC from the front, the side with the MS Licence, and the interior after I removed the top cover:

Attachments

• HP_Computer2.jpg
    HP_Computer2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes it is nice!

I did think about upping the RAM to at least 512, and possibly changing the CD-RW to a DVD-RW.

Or, I might just leave it as is, since I plan to use it in the Kitchen area with a 12" Planar touchscreen, and HS 2.0 remote speaker app for Caller ID announcements, with an external USB WiFi module.

Hmm, would like a find a wireless keyboad, ala Audrey size that would work with it.

Should be pretty easy to conceal the 'puter away in a cabinet or something, with just the speakers and touch screen visible.

Now, to get out of the office and get home to PLAY!!!!

Oh, BSR, you did good on this one!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on it!!!!

I was really supprised by one thing on this computer. I am using a Sony Trinitron 21" monitor to test it out. I set the resolution, with the on board graphics card, mind you, to 1800 x 1140 and it took it and looks great!!

Another thing is this thing is V E R Y Q U I E T ! ! ! I have to put my ear almost on the case to hear it... very nice.

The 2 DIMM slots are occupied, so it will involve removing the current memory to upgrade it. I would rather have had a single 256 stick in it, so I could just add another.. Oh well....

Now, I will second that note to BSR.... T H A N K S !

On a last note, they are still in stock at geeks if anyone still wants to pick one up. 5 days from purchase to arrival with a weekend in the middle, not bad...

OK Guys mine is here. I unpacked it and plugged it in and it booted up and started the XP install. Then I get to the point where it asks for a serial number. Did you guys get disks? I didn't get a single thing other that a PC and Power supply.

Back