Milgard Window Magnetic Sensors

ph0n33z

Dear Friends,

I am in the process of getting all of the HA/video/audio/security/hvac wiring layout done for the new house.

I went to a custom house in Carlsbad this weekend, and they were using HAI thermostats along with the HAI Omnistat. So it was really intestering to actually get to play with the Hai Touchscreens and see the thermostats.

Off topic, sorry......

The house was using the same manufacturer of windows that our house has. They also had magnetic sensors at each operable window. However, I noticed that none of them were drilled into the window itself. They were all "stuck on" using some sort of glue, or putty. I was wondering if you guys have seen anything like this before? Will it work properly?

Here are some pictures I took(snuck), to help you see what I am taking about!

P3200318.JPG

P3200319.JPG

Yes, I was just playing around with my sensors and found out that they do not need to be directly touching to work. I assume you are asking because they are offset a little. As long as the magnet is fairly close it should work. So having the corners almost tuching as in that picture should be fine. The only problem I would see is sometimes you may not close the window all the way and if you are on the border line it may not open the switch.

I would check with the window manufacture and find out if it is okay to drill a hole in any part of the window to add a magnet. I just think the recessed ones look better. I have a hole drilled right in the bottom of my window and they do not leak or anything like that.

If you want to test out the placement of the sensors you can always buy a cheap continuity/ohm meter at Home Depot and play around with the placement of switches before running the wires and drilling holes.

Ditto on the LARGE, but also add UGLY. A recessed sensor with a surfface mount magnet can be totally hidden, just be careful where you drill.

I could not agree more. I thought they were very ugly, not to mention rather large. However, I was not sure I had other options if I could not drill into the actual windows.

Thanks guys, I will look into the other options.

They were all "stuck on" using some sort of glue, or putty. I was wondering if you guys have seen anything like this before? Will it work properly?
That looks like silicone caulking used to attach the magnet to the window. Not sure if I would trust that long term. And yes, it is really fugly and not something you want to do to a nice brand new home. I always wonder why more people don't consider wired screens. Are screens not used in other parts of the country?

I thought I had read that wired screens were expensive and very delicate (easily broken), sounds like you have them and like them.

Well, they are more expensive. They are roughly $50 per window. I have had them being beat on by the Fla sun for almost 15 years and only a few need to be replaced although they still work. As long at the security wire is not cut, they will still work, so durability is about the same as any other screen. The biggest advantage of them (assuming you have a screen anyway) is that the window can be opened to any position and you still have protection, so if you like ventitlation or sleeping with windows open, you can.

look at the reed switch that i posted a link to in my window mounting thread, also in this forum.

The reason these are used because they are cheap and can be installed by unskilled help. Yes, they look very unprofessional. There are switches that can be hid from view without drilling the window itself. Most installers work for cheap and fast. They are glued on with RTV(bathtub calk). It looks very tacky to do this kind of work in a high end home.

Cliff s

cliffs said:
The reason these are used because they are cheap and can be installed by unskilled help. Yes, they look very unprofessional. There are switches that can be hid from view without drilling the window itself. Most installers work for cheap and fast. They are glued on with RTV(bathtub calk). It looks very tacky to do this kind of work in a high end home.

Cliff s
DO you have a link to any of those cliff?

Back