Multi-zone touch panel for Russound CAV6.6

Holt

We are installing a CAV6.6 into a lounge. We would like to be able to drive any of our 6 sources to any of 6 zones from a single keypad behind the bar so the bartender can have complete control of the entire system.

We initially installed an UNO TS2 touchscreen, but we found out the hard way that this only controls one zone. I now realize this was the intent of this particular touchscreen.

My question is: Is there a touch screen out there that can control all zones. I know we can do the "Party Mode", but we need the flexibility of being able to route any source to any zone from one touch screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Holt

I wonder if you could use a TS2 with some sort of selector switch? Maybe a data switch designed to switch ethernet connections?

Holt, MainLobby can control all zones bidirectionally with the TS2 keypads.

You would need MainLobby 3 / MLServer 3 combo plus the Russound Cav6.6 plugin. There are already scenes built to control the Russound included free with ML3 combo.

You can put a myriad of different in wall touchscreens or the new handheld Samsung Q1 that Cinemar will be selling shortly preloaded with all software.

If the bar uses Windows PCs as cash registers, you could even run the MainLobby application there so all PCs have access to the Russound controls.

Of course don't stop there, tie in the rest of the lighting system , HVAC, etc to that same touchpanel. :D

Just curious how MainLobby connects to the TS2 touchscreen. One of the cat5 pair running from the CAV6.6 to the TS2 is used for power and I'm guessing that the pc running MainLobby connects to standard touchscreens via ethernet. The TS2 does not use standard ethernet from my understanding.

What touchscreens are available to use with MainLobby.

Thanks for your help,

Holt

upstatemike said:
I wonder if you could use a TS2 with some sort of selector switch? Maybe a data switch designed to switch ethernet connections?
The CAV controller will wig out and reset if you plug/unplug keypads while it's turned on so a switching solution won't work for this.

Holt said:
Just curious how MainLobby connects to the TS2 touchscreen. One of the cat5 pair running from the CAV6.6 to the TS2 is used for power and I'm guessing that the pc running MainLobby connects to standard touchscreens via ethernet. The TS2 does not use standard ethernet from my understanding.

What touchscreens are available to use with MainLobby.

Thanks for your help,

Holt
Holt,

As you've found... the only thing your TS2 will ever do is control a single zone on the CAV6.6. Their beauty is the lack of required configuration so all you have to do is plug them in, but they don't offer any flexibility for additional control.

MainLobby will require a PC running Windows OS to function and controls the CAV using an RS-232 (serial) connecttion between the PC & CAV6.6. MainLobby will also run on PocketPC, but you'll still need the main PC because of the serial connection. You can use ML with the mouse, but it really shines with a touchscreen which can be any model that can interface with the PC.

Another option which isn't a touchscreen or very elegant (but is quite practical) would be to install 6 UNO-S1 or S2 keypads for each zone lined-up behing the bar. This would give quick easy control of each zone without the complexity of a PC based touchscreen system.

I don't expect you have UNO keypads located out locally in the zones? If you do and prefer to keep them there, you can use the keypad splitters to allow keypads in both locations.

Cheers,
Paul

Just an update:

We ended up going with MainLobby to fix our problem. The people at Cinemar have been very helpful and we even contracted them to help us develop the scenes since we are under a time crutch. I will be developing the scenes myself on the next job.

There is a bug that they are working on that could be an issue for us. When a Samsung Q1 is unplugged from power and goes into hibernate mode, the MLServer does not close the client connection. Then when you wake the Q1 up, the same client creates another client connection and causes confusion on the Server and the system does not operate properly. The only remedy is to go to the MLServer and manually delete one of the client connections. This is a problem for us because we don't want to always have a keyboard and monitor connected to the server and train the bartender how to fix the problem.

They did inform me that they are working on the problem though, so hopefully we will have a fix soon. Other than that, we have no complaints.

Thanks again for Cocoontech's help.

Holt

Holt,
Thank you for the order.
How did the grand opening go? That wasn't a whole lot of time to get things going ;)

We are testing the "Ping Fix". It is in ML version 3.0.11 and the next MLServer 3 version. Should work fine!

Did you end up rack mounting the Cinemar Server?

David

Other then the ML issue with the Samsung Q1 how are these devices working out? I will be installing 4 in a job and wondering if you have found any other issues using them for automation.

David,

The grand opening got postponed due to issues independent of our install. The silverstone is sitting on a shelf in our rack and really looks great!

When do you think the version with the "Ping fix" will be released?

As far as the Q1's are concerned, I would have to say that we are pleased. The response time of the system is better than I expected. We are able to control all zones from each of the 2 Q1s.

One of the owners asked if there was a wall mount for the Q1. Maybe a sleeve or mount of some type that the Q1 could slide into when it is not being used in a portable sense.

A scenario would be that the bartender is asked to change the deck volume which is outside. He or she could grab the Q1 from this wall mounted sleeve, walk outside and adjust the volume. Then put the Q1 back into the wall mount when done. This also gives the Q1 a place to reside so it isn't misplaced.

Thanks,

Holt

Holt, I would suggest that you purchase an in Wall touchscreen from Cinemar next month instead of wallmounting the Q1. That way it's always there and the Q1 can serve other areas. The server you purchased will easily drive the in wall UTMA touchscreen.

Glad to hear things are going well. Looking forward to the next project.

Back