New Insteon Access Point

Apparently the RF range is better than the signalincs, so probably just plug it into the passthrough of a centrally located signalinc and you can cover the whole "meshed" house...

(Okay, admit it, you laughed at that, didn't you?)

Hey...

If my house gets too 'meshed' up I turn my Roomba loose on it.

Ken

Originally, you said you believed that the signalincs were clearly NOT related to Insteon RF...you went so far as to ask for proof of why others thought they were.

To be more clear, what I'm saying is that since there were NO existing RF remotes, I wouldn't have ASSUMED a RF Remote sold 1 or 2 years later would work with it. RF at the time of the SignalLinc's release was a concept, not a product. I certainly wouldn't have bought any SignalLincs JUST to work with future RF remotes - I purchased them for their phase bridging, signal repeating functions.

On the other hand, I'm sure SmartHome intended on having the SignalLincs work with their RF remotes. It would be stupid for them to promise that, however, since they haven't even had a working remote until now. Who knows what kind of hurdles they might find? Obviously they found some. If they did promise or mislead people into thinking the SignalLincs would DEFINITELY work with future RF remotes, I think it was a big mistake on their part.

I have no SmartHome 'hidden' agenda. My agenda is this - I'm heavily invested in Insteon products, I actually like the products, and I hope they continue to do well so I can continue to buy product.

Am I 100% happy with SmartHome? Absolutely not, but I do think people jump down their throats for silly reasons.

For example - UPB is releasing new revision switches that reduce one of the most annoying issues with their technology - the delay. And, they're not field upgradable, and there's no sign of any kind of upgrade/replacement plan for the old switches. If SmartHome were doing this, some people would freak.

Another example - people bitch at SmartHome for not discussing future products, yet they are one of the only vendors who actually maintains their own forum and has a rep that regularly visits and posts. I haven't seen any competing technology to offer a similar forum.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love for them to talk about everything coming down the road, but really - can you blame them after everyone freaked because they are 5 months late with their remote control?

What do I hate about SmartHome? Their lack of good quality control and consistency.

Apparently the RF range is better than the signalincs, so probably just plug it into the passthrough of a centrally located signalinc and you can cover the whole "meshed" house...

(Okay, admit it, you laughed at that, didn't you?)

Hey...

If my house gets too 'meshed' up I turn my Roomba loose on it.

Ken

This whole thing is really one big "mesh". Time for someone to clean it up......................

Am I 100% happy with SmartHome? Absolutely not, but I do think people jump down their throats for silly reasons.

For example - UPB is releasing new revision switches that reduce one of the most annoying issues with their technology - the delay. And, they're not field upgradable, and there's no sign of any kind of upgrade/replacement plan for the old switches. If SmartHome were doing this, some people would freak.
I think a fairly large number of users have had it up to here with SH and their only release is here on forums such as these. Yes, SH has a rep that visits, but he rarely addresses any serious issues. His response to someone complaining about quality is "Thanks for the feedback." I don't think it is his fault as I think he has been muzzled from higher ups.

As for UPB finally releasing a new revision of switches: how many revisions has SL released on their V2's? Must be at least 5-6. And each one seems to break something else. Case in point: The revision that fixed the "flicker" issue added an annopying buzz that was not there before.

I loved the technology, but the QC was just horrible and SH/SL doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it.

But you're right - if they were THAT misleading, and people really bought SignalLincs for that reason, I'd say they should swap them out.

IMHO, they WERE that misleading. And I have no interest in the RemoteLinc, "free" or not. But I have to wonder if there are any RF devices coming soon that I DO want and will they still have the swap program in place at that time, or do I have to jump now.

IMNSHO, they WERE that misleading. And I have no interest in the RemoteLinc; weeell... maybe if it's actually, genuinely free, then feel free to send me some :) . And yes, I think they ought to swap them at no cost.

But hopefully there will be future RF devices which I am very interested in. At that time, I will need whatever 'AccessPoint' device is current. So at that time, if Smarthome has not swapped my SignaLincs, I will be forced to make use of the refurb program, if it is still running. And I see no time-limit mentioned on their site. But I certainly have no intention of doing it now under the pressure of thinking it might expire--I hate hard-sell with a passion. Yes, it's a $60 gamble.

As for UPB finally releasing a new revision of switches: how many revisions has SL released on their V2's? Must be at least 5-6. And each one seems to break something else. Case in point: The revision that fixed the "flicker" issue added an annopying buzz that was not there before.

Maybe I just haven't been around long enough, the switches I have seem good. I did have a higher number of problems than expected out of the box, but the ones that I have installed have been great so far. And SmartHome has been awesome about replacing any switches I had issues with.

2 things have annoyed me so far:
- high failure rate out of the box (mostly paddle problems)
- inconsistent LEDs (some slightly different tint, plus earlier rev Dimmers & Relays had super bright LEDs)

Other than that, I've been pretty happy. I do hear a slight buzz out of a few switches, but they seem to be bulb related. Also, I can only hear it if my ear is very close to the switch. Not an issue for me.

I never experienced the flicker issue.

I can tell you that X10-style delays REALLY annoy me. If I had been disgruntled with Insteon and went with UPB despite the delay, and then 6 months later they fixed it, I'd be VERY upset.

I have no SmartHome 'hidden' agenda. My agenda is this - I'm heavily invested in Insteon products, I actually like the products, and I hope they continue to do well so I can continue to buy product.

Another example - people bitch at SmartHome for not discussing future products, yet they are one of the only vendors who actually maintains their own forum and has a rep that regularly visits and posts. I haven't seen any competing technology to offer a similar forum.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love for them to talk about everything coming down the road, but really - can you blame them after everyone freaked because they are 5 months late with their remote control?

What do I hate about SmartHome? Their lack of good quality control and consistency.
seems that the insteon announcement fanfare was good marketing but all hype - i can only think of 2 other companies that make insteon devices - (i also suspect those socal companies are the result of a smartlabs brain drain - might be the reason for the delays and lack of new insteon products)

phrases like 'jump down their throats for silly reasons' and 'bitch at smarthome' and 'some people would freak' are annoying - i think my reasons being unhappy with my devices are valid - i am looking for something to salvage my investment in insteon - seems that others are too - we are not 'freaking'

i have never heard of any smartlabs lighting device that is field upgradable - so upb is not alone there - i don't have upb devices but from my reading they seem quite reliable - it might be that upb devices have fewer reasons that require replacement

the houselinc product could be easily 'upgraded in the field' - since i have owned it, i have seen one new release - they added one device - but none of the problems with houselinc have been addressed - my bet is that they never will be addressed but a 'new product' might be announced that i can buy

i don't see the virtue in smarthome having a forum - their products will be discussed on another forum if it is shutdown tomorrow - i see very few solutions to problems being addressed by smarthome on their forum - fortunately, fellow insteon users are willing to help - sometimes the din of the pompoms can be distracting though

i have never heard of any smartlabs lighting device that is field upgradable - so upb is not alone there - i don't have upb devices but from my reading they seem quite reliable - it might be that upb devices have fewer reasons that require replacement

OK then - call UPB and ask for replacement switches once their new 'fixed' units are out. I'm sure they won't mind replacing them, since SmartHome has always been good about replacing switches once an issue is fixed.

the houselinc product could be easily 'upgraded in the field' - since i have owned it, i have seen one new release - they added one device - but none of the problems with houselinc have been addressed - my bet is that they never will be addressed but a 'new product' might be announced that i can buy

There have been several updates since their initial release, and I too hope they'll continue to update it was well. What kind of "problems" are you having with HouseLinc?

i don't see the virtue in smarthome having a forum - their products will be discussed on another forum if it is shutdown tomorrow - i see very few solutions to problems being addressed by smarthome on their forum - fortunately, fellow insteon users are willing to help - sometimes the din of the pompoms can be distracting though

You didn't address the point. The point is, people are complaining because SmartHome isn't openly discussing new products and release schedules. Show me a competing vendor that is MORE open? Show me a competing vendor that is openly discussing future products. Send me a link.

phrases like 'jump down their throats for silly reasons' and 'bitch at smarthome' and 'some people would freak' are annoying

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

Start a thread about how inconsisent SwitchLinc LEDs are and how the quality control is poor. I'll back you up on that one.

<2cents>For what it is worth, the UPB delay is by design, it is not a bug, so you are comparing apples and oranges here.</2cents>

OK then - call UPB and ask for replacement switches once their new 'fixed' units are out. I'm sure they won't mind replacing them, since SmartHome has always been good about replacing switches once an issue is fixed.

<2cents>For what it is worth, the UPB delay is by design, it is not a bug, so you are comparing apples and oranges here.</2cents>

When I was originally looking into the technology, everyone said it was by design because the switch was waiting to see if you would press a 2nd time.

Now I hear that the delay is gone in their second generation of products. I'm not saying it was a bug, but it was definitely a flaw.

I haven't read up on the new generation completely, so maybe I missed something?

All I'm saying is that if I went UPB 6 months ago, I'd be pretty upset right now.

One important MAJOR difference between the new AccessPoint and older SignaLincs is that the AccessPoint works with extended Insteon commands. The SignaLincs don't. The current Insteon specification is calling for future Insteon products to support extended commands (the RemoteLinc and SimpleHomeNet products already do) so it would definately be a good idea to upgrade your SignaLincs.

I don't know for sure why the change in frequency. Perhaps it has to do with extended commands from an AccessPoint confusing a SignaLinc.

Dave.

One important MAJOR difference between the new AccessPoint and older SignaLincs is that the AccessPoint works with extended Insteon commands. The SignaLincs don't. The current Insteon specification is calling for future Insteon products to support extended commands (the RemoteLinc and SimpleHomeNet products already do) so it would definately be a good idea to upgrade your SignaLincs.

I don't know for sure why the change in frequency. Perhaps it has to do with extended commands from an AccessPoint confusing a SignaLinc.

Dave.

Dave - what are the extended commands for exactly? Or do you have a link that discusses this? I'm curious.

BTW - thanks for writing PowerHome, it helped me clean up some of my link issues, and the ability to program PLC groups is great. I'm using CQC for automation, and PLC groups helped me do a few things I couldn't do otherwise.

I'll be buying this weekend.. ;)

Not even a pass-through outlet on these?

I agree with everyone else that that's one ugly remote and that Smarthome should swap these out for free for existing signalinc owners.

On top of that, you will basically be paying Smarthome to beta test these new devices for them (if these are anything at all like every other other Rev 1.0 Insteon product).

Dave, thanks for pointing that out. That's an important distinction which I, and presumably others, were not aware of.

Mike,

Some of the extended commands are the "Product Data Response" which all Insteon devices are supposed to eventually support. This command is a response to a standard Insteon message requesting device info such as product key and device category. There are also "Block Data Transfer" commands which will replace the current method of working with links through software (peek/poke a single byte at a time). Extended commands will greatly speed/enhance software linking. Extended commands also exist for advanced programming such as the KPL XOR button programming, etc.

Glad that you find PowerHome useful and appreciate your support. Look for more improvements in the future.

Joe,

I was reading through this thread and didnt see any mention of it so thought I would bring it up. I know it's easy to focus on the negative so thought that I could at least bring forth something positive.

Dave.

Back