New Insteon Access Point

Based on the instructions, I can return 3 of my 4 signalincs for 3 access points and a remotelinc--total cost to me: $10...that leaves me with a basically useless 4th signalinc that someone else can use to upgrade from 2 to 3 access points...
Please explain your math again. How do you do this for only $10? I see it costing $59, plus shipping to you, plus shipping back for the exchange, plus a "free" Remotelinc. I think you meant to say "$10 more than the cost of a RemoteLinc alone"

There was never any guarantee that the SignalLincs would work with future RF remote controls.

Correct, no "guarantee". But there sure was a strong implication by the heavy marketing push that Insteon was dual mesh.

Apparently they needed to make a change to the RF receivers for the remotes to operate well. No big deal for me, guess I'll trade my old units in.

I suspect that the refurb AccessPoint is simply an old SignaLinc that somebody traded in with the latest firmware or a new daughtercard or something.

I was thinking that, but they seem to have a completely different case & an internal antenna. Seems like it would be a lot of work to retrofit a returned SwitchLinc. Unless the 'refurbs' end up looking like SwitchLincs, but then the photo would be wrong.

Are there any signs of other RF products besides that remote? Seems easier to stick with the W800 and PalmPads/Stick-a-Switches. I wonder if you can even get that to send commands without being linked to a device (maybe a link to the PLC would work).

i am curious about how these new access points compare to the signalincs in performance - i have 4 signalincs and still have an unusable insteon network - hoping these can salvage my mistake

I too have 4 signalincs, so I guess, based on their instructions, we should all try to work out a swap meet of sorts...

How To Upgrade:

Purchase TWO refurbished Access Points - $59.99

Return your used SignaLincs with the trade-up form (available in the AccessPoint box) and a copy of your invoice to Smarthome

Receive your FREE RemoteLinc (valued at $49.99).

*Please allow 2 weeks for delivery. Customer is responsible for return postage and shipping costs. Smarthome is not be responsible for units lost in the mail.

Please Note: (1) RemoteLinc will be sent to each return address per pair of (2) SignaLincs RF's returned. (1) additional SignaLinc RF may be returned for an additional AccessPoint.

Based on the instructions, I can return 3 of my 4 signalincs for 3 access points and a remotelinc--total cost to me: $10...that leaves me with a basically useless 4th signalinc that someone else can use to upgrade from 2 to 3 access points...

I am sure I am not alone.

Thoughts?

Same boat............. different port. I will have a paperweight though.

It looks like SH has updated their page about returning extra SignalLincs. It now reads:
Please Note: (1) RemoteLinc will be sent to each return address per pair of (2) SignaLincs RF's returned. If you have more than two SignaLinc RF's, you will receive an additional AccessPoint for each additional SignaLinc RF returned.

So it looks like those of us with 3 or more will not have paper weights after all. Not great but not too bad of a deal.

They offer refurbished access points already?

I suspect that the refurb AccessPoint is simply an old SignaLinc that somebody traded in with the latest firmware or a new daughtercard or something.

I agree that they are taking the SignaLincs that people are sending back (which are just PowerLincs with different firmware and daughtercards) and reprogramming them and replacing daughter cards to create a "refurbished" AccessPoint. So they are basically swapping them out for cost ($10 for 2 daughter cards + reprogramming) if you agree to purchase a remote. Seems like a reasonable gesture.

i am curious about how these new access points compare to the signalincs in performance - i have 4 signalincs and still have an unusable insteon network - hoping these can salvage my mistake

I too have 4 signalincs, so I guess, based on their instructions, we should all try to work out a swap meet of sorts...

How To Upgrade:

Purchase TWO refurbished Access Points - $59.99

Return your used SignaLincs with the trade-up form (available in the AccessPoint box) and a copy of your invoice to Smarthome

Receive your FREE RemoteLinc (valued at $49.99).

*Please allow 2 weeks for delivery. Customer is responsible for return postage and shipping costs. Smarthome is not be responsible for units lost in the mail.

Please Note: (1) RemoteLinc will be sent to each return address per pair of (2) SignaLincs RF's returned. (1) additional SignaLinc RF may be returned for an additional AccessPoint.

I am sure I am not alone.

Thoughts?

Same boat............. different port. I will have a paperweight though.

It looks like SH has updated their page about returning extra SignalLincs. It now reads:
Please Note: (1) RemoteLinc will be sent to each return address per pair of (2) SignaLincs RF's returned. If you have more than two SignaLinc RF's, you will receive an additional AccessPoint for each additional SignaLinc RF returned.

So it looks like those of us with 3 or more will not have paper weights after all. Not great but not too bad of a deal.

Fair enough then................ I will have 4 access points so there should be plenty of coverage.

Are there any signs of other RF products besides that remote? Seems easier to stick with the W800 and PalmPads/Stick-a-Switches. I wonder if you can even get that to send commands without being linked to a device (maybe a link to the PLC would work).

I think it's probably way too early. I bet we'll see some variety by the end of the year.

The interesting thing to me will be if having these will allow some integration with things like the logitech RF remotes (granted, the logictech would likely need firmware updates, but it would be nice). I'm on the fence on upgrading b/c right now I don't need just a insteon wireless remote but I'm also worried this upgrade offer won't last for too long.

edit : sucks that you have to pay $10 shipping on the original order, that should be free in this offer.

They offer refurbished access points already?

I agree that they are taking the SignaLincs that people are sending back (which are just PowerLincs with different firmware and daughtercards) and reprogramming them and replacing daughter cards to create a "refurbished" AccessPoint. So they are basically swapping them out for cost ($10 for 2 daughter cards + reprogramming) if you agree to purchase a remote. Seems like a reasonable gesture.
i suspect a large order was placed from the manufacturer and were not placed on the market (for whatever reason) - i bet the 'refurbished' units are those units - just a guess

but in any event - i do not want that remote at any cost - i was hoping the new access point units would make my insteon investment work - i would like a rf remote (assuming insteon worked for me) but want more function than the one just released

Hi all,

I am now a happy Z-Wave user.

I started with INSTEON about November of 2005, bailed out about May of 2006. Too many things 'bothered' me about the hardware & marketing associated with (the then) SmartLabs.

I am still a member of the INSTEON SDK and still work on INSTEON software. I have a whole box FULL of INSTEON hardware that I purchased in good faith and still use for software development.

The fact that SmartLabs/Home (apparently) screwed up the original SignaLinc should not be hidden in this 'upgrade' program. I purchased four of the SignaLincs in good faith, with the understanding that they ARE the access point for mobile INSTEON devices. I do not want the new RF remote and see no reason why I should be forced to pay $59.99 (plus postage) for more hardware made by people with very low credibility, on my list (meaning, who says this thing will not cost another $59.99 next month?).

I would like to see a 'no cost' recall for defective merchandise. This is now what is actually going on, but at our own (weak brained consumer) expense. I do not appreciate being made to pay for devices again that I have already purchased. I can only guess that no one at Smart? has the integrity to admit their mistakes. That is part of why I am now a Z-Wave user.

There, I vented, I am back to being a happy, errr, happier, Z-Wave user.

Take care all, I wish everyone the best of luck with their set ups.

Ken

edit: clarified recall statement grammar

Back